drawing to wallpaper

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

zipon
Novice
Novice

drawing to wallpaper

Post by zipon »

Hey all.

I have made a drawing for tmw and i like it to be made in gimp, so we can use it as a wallpaper.
but my gimp skills is not that good so i can do it myselv.

hope anyone can help :)

Zipon

file

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: drawing to wallpaper

Post by i »

First of all, you need to digitalize it properly. Usually photo doesn't provide good enough quality to do that. Find a scanner. Scan it with greyscale at 300 DPI. Then open scanned image in gimp change mode to RGB and set up Levels. Use pickers to probe white and black points. When you are done with levels save it as PNG. Then someone could work on it. Until then, the quality of image is too poor. There is nothing we can do about that.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i wrote:First of all, you need to digitalize it properly. Usually photo doesn't provide good enough quality to do that. Find a scanner. Scan it with greyscale at 300 DPI.
...or at least photograph it with a good camera under good light conditions.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ethel the aardvark
Peon
Peon

Post by ethel the aardvark »

Here you go. About ten minutes' work in GIMP. Doubtless one of these "professional" artists could have done a better job quicker, if it wasn't too hard for them.
imag00462.png
imag00462.png (38.58 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
You might have to do a bit of cleaning up...
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

ethel the aardvark wrote:Here you go. About ten minutes' work in GIMP.
Great job... now DIEâ„¢ please! Notice that I added a word "please" to be more polite, since some of devs say that I am rude. Your "marvellous" work is far from being useful. Anyway thank you for trying.
ethel the aardvark wrote:You might have to do a bit of cleaning up...
I don't think that a bit of magic cleaning powder will change the situation.

All we need is rather properly digitalized source image.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

A monochrome bitmap with non-anti-aliased line edges. Really useful for further processing. (/sarcasm).
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is as much as I can do with the material you provided. When you want better quality please provide a photo which is properly focused and without noise.
Attachments
imag00462.png
imag00462.png (332.69 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
  • NOT a game master

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Actually there is one more thing we could do with that image. However that changes nothing at all.
fastvector.png
fastvector.png (137.7 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
I auto traced crush's version in Inkscape. If forum admin unlock SVG extension I could upload it here. But this seems to be pointless, since we don't have good source image.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Oh, i see Inkscapes auto vectorization looks much better than it did a few versions ago where I dismissed it as a useless gimmick.
  • NOT a game master

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:Oh, i see Inkscapes auto vectorization looks much better than it did a few versions ago where I dismissed it as a useless gimmick.
Actually this module is just potrace. And it didn't change much since I remember. It's just matter of settings. This trace was done on ~0,67 brightness detection.
Mine definition of word "remember" - Inkscape 0.37. If you remeber tmw Halloween girl - it was done with the same method. Good scan in 300dpi, Levels, Autotrace in Inkscape, Node editing by hand.