[WIP] Sketching the tutorial academy and the island

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[WIP] Sketching the tutorial academy and the island

Post by Rotonen »

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=8399 - The time for objections is up.

So, we need someone to do or otherwise make happen the design of the academy, dungeon, island and village related to the tutorial area.

I think pen and paper sketching is the way to go here. Having an already designed basis to work on will help the tileset artists. Also preliminarily sketching out the map designs and floor plans will greatly help to evaluate what kinds of tiles we need and what can be reused without creating new tiles.

Once we have the setting sketched out, the next thing to sketch would be what should our actors wear: clothing and other equipment for both the academy and the village.

Monster design can happen parallel to clothing design.

So, who is going to take oversight and control of this?
This message used to be meaningful.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [WIP] Sketching the tutorial academy and the island

Post by Bertram »

IIUC (If I understand correctly):

Feel free to correct me:

Sketching:
  • Map design:
  • Academy floor plan (6 of seven levels based on tutorial concept + academy entrance!)
  • Academy corridors and stairs... (Potter's magic high school like, maybe?)
  • At least 4 maps of exterior:
    • Village: A small village made of little house (open concept IIRC). With all the villagers having a role in it.
    • Academy outdoor, pathway, entrance, and court.
    • Island first 'wild' part, using the setting to hide items, a labyrinth?, and some mini-quests, ...
    • Island second and wilder part, little harder to go through and a 'door' NPCs or actor should be triggered
      opened once the pre-boss quest is done, this maps leading to the cave entrance?
    • One or two cave map, if two the first should be made a little more living than the second one, like adding plants, and some little lively varieties. the second one, which would then be the boss cave, would make the player feel less at ease, with bones on the ground, and else...
Clothings:
  • Scholar's clothings, including player's first equipment.
  • First scholar's items
  • Villager's clothings
  • First villager's items
Monsters:
  • First 'monster' used for attack tutorial. (Something like a scarecrow? A fake enemy?)
  • Village little animals (not 'fightables', but in monster's design spirit.)
  • At least 3 enemies in the Wild (the weakest, the intermediate, the strongest).
  • The Boss!
I hope I rationalized the tasks, so each actors can take a point and concentrate on it, while you, Rotonen, concentrate on making a world out of art pieces. ;)

Best regards.
Last edited by Bertram on 02 Oct 2009, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

That academy setup is a bit large. How about just having a room for each lesson? Those can be on two floors, with another floor for the sleeping areas. Then the first floor with the entrance and administrative stuff.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The academy could be either a castle, a mansion or a fortress. Out of these I'd like to rule out the mansion environment, because it can potentially grow immensely complex with all additions and yard and limitation of the yard in a sensible way (cliffs?).

The castle is the easiest to pull off since it is one building. The area of the floors can be rather large and hence the number of floors and maps would not be that big.

With the fortress setting we have the outer walls which can contain rooms and towers. Within the yard/campus inside the walls, we can have pretty much any number of buildings.

Otherwise seems rather valid, but I'm in a hurry currently so I reserve the right to get back to this if need be. Your comments and opinions are most welcome here.
This message used to be meaningful.