Why does every TMW fork die?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Why does every TMW fork die?

Post by Crush »

In the history of TMW there were a lot of forks for TMW:

Sirus Online - dead
Evol Online - dead
Damasca - never really alive
Aethyra - domain doesn't exist anymore
Whispers of Avalon - as far as I see almost no progress in the last months and no server online I know of.

Then there were countless of alternative servers which appeared on the Servers page on the wiki just to disappear again after a few weeks. Even of the five alternative servers which are currently listed only one was responding when I checked them a few minutes ago.

Why does every attempt to create a new game based on TMW fail?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Why does every TMW fork die?

Post by Matt »

Why not.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:Why does every attempt to create a new game based on TMW fail?
There may be a few parallel causes. First is lack of experience and management skills necessary to handle such project. Second is lack of people devoted to project, not just developers, also players are count here. Third is provided by Matt answer: "Why not?".

TMW is still alive because answer for the last question is: "Oh! They have to be at least one crappy 2D game which is Serious effort .... ;D"
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Whispers of Avalon doesn't qualify as a fork, IMO. They're not using any of our art.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

jaxad0127 wrote:Whispers of Avalon doesn't qualify as a fork, IMO. They're not using any of our art.
But they may use our engine. Then it will be fork.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

But they aren't forking the client like Aethyra did. They're just a separate project that wants to use our client and tmwserv to make an MMORPG.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

So, an alternate game world?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

So they forked the project? Who cares.

TMW is one of the bigggest and successful open source 2d games. TMW forks are not.
People get uninterested and leave, that happens with tmw like it happens with the forks.
But we have a more solid user base and new developers tend to support the main project everbody knows.

TMW had the luck that the right people kept hanging around - otherwise it would be dead now too since the main dev Elven is not here anymore.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

TMW had the luck that the right people kept hanging around - otherwise it would be dead now too since the main dev Elven is not here anymore.
But that's also TMW's problem

Essentially the queen bee died and the workers kept on going without direction, each pushing the world in the direction they wanted
Pixel Battalion
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

Last edited by Habari on 03 Sep 2010, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

what about the servers?
well that's what i call the IE effect :D
1.Most People use windows because it "comes with your pc"
2.Most people use IE instead of firefox , because "it comes with windows"
SO:

3.Most People Play server.themanaworld.org because "it comes with the client" (as it is the default server)
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Len wrote:
But that's also TMW's problem

Essentially the queen bee died and the workers kept on going without direction, each pushing the world in the direction they wanted
Well Rotonen is our pusher on paper :P
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Habari wrote:3.Most People Play server.themanaworld.org because "it comes with the client" (as it is the default server)
Aethyra forked the client too. Our client won't work with their server (unless they've since fixed that).
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

jaxad0127 wrote:Our client won't work with their server
One more reason not to play Aetyra :D , if you have your client why bother download theirs

By the way i forgot to mention one factor , most devs from Aethyra where Heavy players of tmw , even clan leaders , so they could not openly aggressively criticize our game (they had interests inside TMW) and that would have been the only real argument for swapping your favorite game with a fork.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

When i see the graphism of Len in Whisper of Avallon i just want to go there and play it

hope we can do so one day.

regarding the rest

of course marketing, server and the original is always more attractive. especially in a so much time consuming game.

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7