[EDIT] Land Of The Lost

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [EDIT] Here comes a NEW tmw server!

Post by i »

Matt wrote:I wish you good luck, I feel that you definately have the stuff to make your new server a huge success! :)
I've got the feeling you may be able to outperform the sucky "official" server at the moment!

Thanks for working on this, really! I cannot await to register myself on your server :D
~~~~~ sarcasm is really appreciated these days ;)
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

i wrote:
Matt wrote:I wish you good luck, I feel that you definately have the stuff to make your new server a huge success! :)
I've got the feeling you may be able to outperform the sucky "official" server at the moment!

Thanks for working on this, really! I cannot await to register myself on your server :D
~~~~~ sarcasm is really appreciated these days ;)
but that is why everyone loves Matt!
he is awesome!
and funny!
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

Zaccheo, it's not like we wish you badluck. We are just realistic. You have no idea, where do you want to go.

If you want to lure, attract people to your project, you must show them something attractive. How do people get lured?

A player find a game, see, that it may be interesting and says "I'll try it". 1% of such attracted players will stay a bit longer, than a day or two. From them, another 1% will stay really longer. Most of them will play from time to time. Some will play often.

About 0,5% of real players will get interested in "how this is done". 10% of interested ones will decide to try to support it. 1‰ of them will have necessary skills. 5% of them will support the project longer, most of them will get bored, tired and leave unfinished works.

Count please, how many people do you need to attract, to gest at least ONE developer, graphician, musician. BUT, you still have nothing to attract them!

Common player-in-spe will say "I may play TMW, where there are 80-180 plp online, severel quests, support… Or I may play Zaccheo's game, where only him anf his 2 friend are, there are no graphic, no quests…". Guess, what will he choose?
Common pixel artist (musician, dev) will say "I may support TMW, there are much gfx already, they do know, what they want, I will get support from rest of team, there are players to test my work… Or I may support Zaccheo's project, where nothing is." Guess…?

By the way, what is the purpouse to create anothet fantasy TMW clone, but much worse? None will choose your project. Are you capable of doing anything with your hands? It's not like you call "come, people and work for me!" and suddenly there is massive team.

If you want to really do anything… First: gather a team capable of doing something worthy. Second (or maybe it is the first): decide, what you do want to do. None will play "the same thing but worse". But… If you would announce, for example: "there is a fantasy game already, I want to create something new: similar game but in science-fiction/space opera climatic". Then, yes, if you make it sounds interesting, maybe someone would like to help. Players will say "I play fantasy warriar/mage, why not to try cosmic adventures". Some dev will (maybe!) say: "oh, something different, may be worthy to create gfx/msx/story in different style".

Then, if you will be capable of encouraging people and manage their work, sacrifice your spare time for some years and if you will have some luck… then yes, you will have slight chance of success.

Goodluck.
★ Variety Jeer, my weblog ★ Jurgi recommends Opera 10 ★
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Whispers_of_Av ... 2380695/1/
Apparently I've been giving people ideas
Pixel Battalion
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Zaccheo wrote:
Len wrote:http://s1.zetaboards.com/Whispers_of_Av ... 2380695/1/
Apparently I've been giving people ideas
=P
And stop smiling like an idiot. Defend yourself, show us your point of view. ~~please~~
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

No, need to bash the guy for trying to do something that's extremely difficult
Last edited by Len on 11 Oct 2009, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel Battalion
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Help develop TMW, help develop his effort or be quiet.

I'm still (and always will be with new forks) rather curious to see how it turns out.
This message used to be meaningful.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Rotonen wrote:Help develop TMW, help develop his effort or be quiet.

I'm still (and always will be with new forks) rather curious to see how it turns out.
Actually I'm helping his fork. I even registered on his forums ;)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

i wrote:
Rotonen wrote:Help develop TMW, help develop his effort or be quiet.

Actually I'm helping his fork. I even registered on his forums ;)
If it's just tough love, then we need a montage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64
Pixel Battalion
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Len wrote:If it's just tough love, then we need a montage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64
Indeed ;)
btw do we offtop in offtopic section? XD
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm at least giving every fork a benefit of doubt.

Essentially for me this means ignoring them until they're noteworthy. I don't have the capacity to spend thought on the success of a fork. They're mostly irrelevant for me.

Sadly usually forks become noteworthy due to some trouble.
This message used to be meaningful.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Actually if you really want to succeed, you should advertise your game in a game listing website and put in an help wanted at pixel-joint or similar website.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation ... &board=6.0
(Its what I was going to do back when I had free time)

but you really need something good to show first
Pixel Battalion