Should we break backward compatibility of the TMW client?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Backward compatibility?

Nah, it is not god damn Linux kernel, wanna play? Upgrade or Duck off.
91%
Yea, I am Debian 3.1 user (or I forgot how to download files from the net) so I love using outdated software!
9%

Total votes: 43
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Should we break backward compatibility of the TMW client?

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Linux distros are more integrated. We'd have to include all the dependencies in the package (which is one big reason why Windows takes more space than the other OSes).
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

It sounds like a necessary evil. Ubuntu people who cannot compile are way too big of a group to just eliminate.

As long as they have the option (download source here, or download full game w/all dependencies here), I am sure most wont mind having all of the dependencies. The population would grow with an up-to-date .deb. Just my two cents, I'm not actually smart enough to do something like this. PS Ubuntu 9.10 is stable release 10/29, so....
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

jaxad0127 wrote:Linux distros are more integrated. We'd have to include all the dependencies in the package (which is one big reason why Windows takes more space than the other OSes).

Code: Select all

bash-4.0$ mkdir tmw
bash-4.0$ for i in `ldd /usr/bin/tmw | awk '{print $3}' | grep -v ld-linux`; do cp $i tmw; done
bash-4.0$ du -sh tmw
16M	tmw
Yeah indeed, including all depencies would be very, very hard and make the package soo big... :twisted:

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-static
*hint* *hint*

Really, users who can't compile stuff, doesn't give a Chocolate Cupcake if the binary is 1,4M or 17,4 MB or if the package they are supposed to download is 16 MB bigger.

Regards.
Ghezus
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghezus »

John P wrote:It sounds like a necessary evil. Ubuntu people who cannot compile are way too big of a group to just eliminate.

As long as they have the option (download source here, or download full game w/all dependencies here), I am sure most wont mind having all of the dependencies. The population would grow with an up-to-date .deb. Just my two cents, I'm not actually smart enough to do something like this. PS Ubuntu 9.10 is stable release 10/29, so....
People should get the version from the PlayDeb.net repository, not from the official Ubuntu repository. PlayDeb has a up-to-date version of TMW most of the time.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Ghezus wrote:
John P wrote:It sounds like a necessary evil. Ubuntu people who cannot compile are way too big of a group to just eliminate.

People should get the version from the PlayDeb.net repository, not from the official Ubuntu repository. PlayDeb has a up-to-date version of TMW most of the time.
But not always for their version of Ubuntu.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Thanks to this thread I'm downloading Fedora. Is it possible for Fedora users to always have an up-to-date version of TMW when it comes out, like Windows users?
~Feline Monstrosity
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

That depends on them. You can always compile it yourself.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Fedora has a system of updates - they are easy and automagical, in testing repo you usually have even beta releases. I have newest tmw release in stable repo installed. ;-)

Regards.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Platyna: Without having to compile? I can't compile.
~Feline Monstrosity
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Yeah without having to compile.

Regards.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

it would be funny to see how the ubuntu community reacts to us dropping support for things in their repo
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Will I be able to have the latest TMWServ builds without compiling? Or is that a little too hopeful? :wink:
~Feline Monstrosity
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

feline monstrosity wrote:Will I be able to have the latest TMWServ builds without compiling? Or is that a little too hopeful? :wink:
You can always use the nightly. We're working on making them one client, remember.
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

Breaking the backward comp ability will be a necessity sooner or later , TMW has to progress. :D
it , seems windows users have no problem , its just an ubuntu problem
AND:
1. linux users on the average have more PC knowledge than windows users.

2. Compiling under Linux is far more easy , than under windows.

So sorry , but the game must go on, :|
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Post by GARRETTtheGREAT »

I was mildly annoyed as an Ubuntu user to see that 0.28 was still in the repo. The documentation on installing TMW from source is excellent, and even though I'm familiar with Ubuntu, I could follow those instructions if I knew nothing about it :)

Couldn't we also make a small script to do the install? Something with a popup "The Mana World update script needs super user privileges blah blah blah blah" and the user types in the su password instead of terminal stuff would be a major plus.

Heck, if you want, put my phone number in the message that tells them their client can't connect because it's outdated and I'll walk 'em through it :D