The walls of Tulimshar

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Spit23
Novice
Novice

Re: The walls of Tulimshar

Post by Spit23 »

i wrote:Gate... give me the gate ;D

We need at least one and we could start replacing old walls. Good job so far! Keep going!
I'm already working on it but it will take some time. But I guess not too much ;)
Attachments
gate.png
gate.png (19.34 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Spit23 wrote:

We need at least one and we could start replacing old walls. Good job so far! Keep going!
I'm already working on it but it will take some time. But I guess not too much ;)
Arc is very nice shaped. But remember that gate should be build naturally. In current state it will just collapse. I propose a ring of perpendicular bricks:
gate_reinforced.png
gate_reinforced.png (22.06 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Like this, but just on larger scale:
tmw-block_walls-0043_door.png
tmw-block_walls-0043_door.png (13.84 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
You may use bricks or even much larger stone blocks. They may be in a bit different color, also different gradient is advised. Remember that we got plenty of materials, and they looks different.

In old Babylon gates was pieces of art, look at Ishtar Gate:

Also gradient on walls would be nice. Here is an example:
tulimshar_wall_gradient.png
tulimshar_wall_gradient.png (21.48 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
Gradient + 30% opacity + Multiply
Last edited by i on 02 Oct 2009, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Spit23 wrote:

Not bad at all, but wouldn't a square-shaped gate be easier and more effective? Obiouvsly only my opinion.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Not bad at all, but wouldn't a square-shaped gate be easier and more effective? Obiouvsly only my opinion.
Yes and know.
Yes: It's easier.
No: We got different cultures in other countries. They should be different to make a contrast between regions.

I vote for NO ;D
Spit23
Novice
Novice

Post by Spit23 »

i wrote:Arc is very nice shaped. But remember that gate should be build naturally. In current state it will just collapse. I propose a ring of perpendicular bricks:
gate_reinforced.png
Like this, but just on larger scale:
tmw-block_walls-0043_door.png
You may use bricks or even much larger stone blocks. They may be in a bit different color, also different gradient is advised. Remember that we got plenty of materials, and they looks different.
Perpendicular bricks are exactly what I planned. I posted the pic primarily to show the shape. But you're right the perpendicular bricks have to be bigger than I scetched it out.
i wrote:Also gradient on walls would be nice. Here is an example:
tulimshar_wall_gradient.png
Gradient + 30% opacity + Multiply
Very effective and easy to do. Thanks for the tip :D . I will also edit the bricks of the bottom to give them a more "dirty" look.
i wrote:
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Not bad at all, but wouldn't a square-shaped gate be easier and more effective? Obiouvsly only my opinion.
Yes and know.
Yes: It's easier.
No: We got different cultures in other countries. They should be different to make a contrast between regions.

I vote for NO ;D
I also vote for NO because of more or less the same reasons (also from a static point of view it wouldn't make much sense).

The culture thing is a good point. I'm also planning to fix up some of the other Tulimshar tiles and NPCs to give them a certain look typically for the Tulimshar culture. The babylon pictures are a nice inspiration for it :). And for this culture reasons I'm also planning to replace the eagle through something else. A desert culture using a eagle as a symbol? Doesn't make much sense. If I think of desert eagles I think of guns ;)
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Congrats so far, Spit.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Here is some inspiration.

Copyright dr.ungroup.net [http://dr.ungroup.net]
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:
Spit23 wrote:

Not bad at all, but wouldn't a square-shaped gate be easier and more effective? Obiouvsly only my opinion.
Most gates you find in the world tend to be arches because of the strength of the arch, as opposed to a square figure. The arch takes all the stress of the missing areas and distributes it..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/32510/arch

(Don't know if you care, but there's a real world reason)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Ceros wrote:
Most gates you find in the world tend to be arches because of the strength of the arch, as opposed to a square figure. The arch takes all the stress of the missing areas and distributes it..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/32510/arch

(Don't know if you care, but there's a real world reason)
Then we can discuss the shape of the arch. A horseshoe-shaped arch might work better for decorative reasons. Though the pointed arches do look good. Having it curved down to the ground is a bit unrealistic. It's hard to close off a round area..
Spit23
Novice
Novice

Post by Spit23 »

i wrote:Here is some inspiration.

Copyright dr.ungroup.net [http://dr.ungroup.net]
The sand on the bottom touching the stones looks good. I will do something like this too. But I think I should make more than one tile for it to make it look more random.
jaxad0127 wrote:Then we can discuss the shape of the arch. A horseshoe-shaped arch might work better for decorative reasons. Though the pointed arches do look good. Having it curved down to the ground is a bit unrealistic. It's hard to close off a round area..
That's right but a gate without a door/drawbridege/grating is a bit unrealistic anyway. From a visual point of view I would prefer it curved down to the ground. Is realism that much important in this case? What do you think?
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

Spit23 wrote:From a visual point of view I would prefer it curved down to the ground. Is realism that much important in this case? What do you think?
What's always been important is getting the work done. You're the one who is taking the time to do it, you're not getting paid for it, do it how you like. Realism isn't as important as finished, usable product.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Any news about this promising tileset?

Regards.
Spit23
Novice
Novice

Post by Spit23 »

I hadn't much time to work on it the last weeks. Here a small update (unfinished):
Attachments
tulimshar_gate.png
tulimshar_gate.png (43.91 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
tulimshar_gate.png
tulimshar_gate.png (33.75 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Spit23 wrote:I hadn't much time to work on it the last weeks. Here a small update (unfinished):
Very promising ;) Contact area at the bottom of wall looks a bit too blurry IMO. You should rather pixel it instead of using soft rubber. Generally it's good direction. Keep workin'

Also we could split a work a bit. [REQ] topic for huge stone statues on gate sides may bring something fresh and extraordinary to this project. Now it's building, and we forgot a bit about culture environment. Of course flags and banners are good step in that direction too.

People in many cultures believes that stone gatekeepers will help to defend city.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ijob/251226556/
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

i wrote:
Spit23 wrote:I hadn't much time to work on it the last weeks. Here a small update (unfinished):
Very promising ;) Contact area at the bottom of wall looks a bit too blurry IMO. You should rather pixel it instead of using soft rubber. Generally it's good direction. Keep workin'

Also we could split a work a bit. [REQ] topic for huge stone statues on gate sides may bring something fresh and extraordinary to this project. Now it's building, and we forgot a bit about culture environment. Of course flags and banners are good step in that direction too.

People in many cultures believes that stone gatekeepers will help to defend city.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ijob/251226556/
Lets see what our backstory department says too.