Make Snowland a Playerland

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Make Snowland a Playerland

Post by Wombat »

While the rest of the growing map has some sort of relevance to the geographic narrative the development team wants to see, snowland doesn't fit into the picture so much.

Instead, we can move snowland into a "far off" land and allow it to organically grow and change. It wouldn't allow anything that doesn't exist already in the game. It wouldn't allow anything that would threaten game balance. It wouldn't take up space that is reserved for the official game development team.

This would allow players to use existing tilesets as well as potentially increase interest in helping the development team create more tilesets. It would use existing pixelart as well as help expand pixelart by opening up more potential. It could increase interest in quest scripting as well as help create interest in expanding what can be scripted.

I suggest moving snowland to the area shown in blue. Move Taro to a dock area and change her script to mentioning a boat trip to find santa. Move Agostine into Hurnscald or other city that will be created based on the game's desired geography. Allow this area to be populated by small player created towns, buildings, caves, labyrinths. Allow the use of soul menhirs for player groups that develop the area. Allow players to script quests for "defeating" labyrinths where npcs give the player xp and gold or already existing items. Allow a central map to be a pvp/pve map so players could wage war with each other without compromising other characters desires to avoid a pvp environment.
Current character is "Abolish".
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Make Snowland a Playerland

Post by Wombat »

It could also be a money sink to visit...perhaps 100,000 gp to go back and forth?

More ideas: Other money sinks could also go in and characters could pay for a certain amount until all space is taken in the overworld. After that, players could have official pvp wars to claim territory as their area to map, using what exists or changing it to suit their purpose. The official wars could be held 4 times a year. This way the players could collaborate on maps. Labyrinths could be set up with soul menhir checkpoints and "decend" 4 levels (given the current depth that some maps go), with difficult monster swarms to be killed with raiding groups.

Because this is the only area that this happens, player alterations with appropriate restrictions wouldn't throw the game off and would still need approval from someone to ensure balance, but without the same focus on originality as other areas currently under development.
JackDeth
Novice
Novice

Post by JackDeth »

Wombat wrote:It could also be a money sink to visit...perhaps 100,000 gp to go back and forth?

More ideas: Other money sinks could also go in and characters could pay for a certain amount until all space is taken in the overworld. After that, players could have official pvp wars to claim territory as their area to map, using what exists or changing it to suit their purpose. The official wars could be held 4 times a year. This way the players could collaborate on maps. Labyrinths could be set up with soul menhir checkpoints and "decend" 4 levels (given the current depth that some maps go), with difficult monster swarms to be killed with raiding groups.

Because this is the only area that this happens, player alterations with appropriate restrictions wouldn't throw the game off and would still need approval from someone to ensure balance, but without the same focus on originality as other areas currently under development.
This all sounds well and good, if not a bit involved. I personally think the winterlands idea was kind of cute as it is and wish it could be developed a bit more. Don't make it too hard to reach as it is currently the best source of cash due to the volume of bats, pinkies, and fluffies in the caves to the north.

I think all drop parties should be randomly conducted by a GM character completely dressed up as, and appropriately named Santa Claus.

I think the Kirk and Spock characters should be a bit more interactive and have more dialogue.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The ice area is indeed in need of some love, but I would not feel well with doing it like Wombat suggests and fill it by putting in everything people come up with without conceptual supervision or quality control.

Instead of that I would rather like to see some volunteers forming a team with the intend to expand the area in a planned and controlled way. This means creating a background, planning the maps and scenarios, making a list of what is necessary and executing the realization.

Maybe you would like to take part in this, Wombat?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

We will build the TMWServ world in a controlled fashion, bit by bit.

It will take a while before we reach any of the northern areas mentioned here.
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Remember, the stuff we have on eAthena won't affect what we have on TMWServ.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Crush wrote:The ice area is indeed in need of some love, but I would not feel well with doing it like Wombat suggests and fill it by putting in everything people come up with without conceptual supervision or quality control.

Instead of that I would rather like to see some volunteers forming a team with the intend to expand the area in a planned and controlled way. This means creating a background, planning the maps and scenarios, making a list of what is necessary and executing the realization.

Maybe you would like to take part in this, Wombat?
Sure and here is my first idea for tmwserv Fetch/Kill the Boss using Switches and Timers.

Request this topic be locked.
Tahli
Novice
Novice

Post by Tahli »

JackDeth wrote: This all sounds well and good, if not a bit involved. I personally think the winterlands idea was kind of cute as it is and wish it could be developed a bit more. Don't make it too hard to reach as it is currently the best source of cash due to the volume of bats, pinkies, and fluffies in the caves to the north.

I think all drop parties should be randomly conducted by a GM character completely dressed up as, and appropriately named Santa Claus.

I think the Kirk and Spock characters should be a bit more interactive and have more dialogue.
I definately agree, The star-trek chatacter npcs should have more dialouge, and snowland has so much potential. We don't want some item like a T-Neck to become rare. It would be obtaainable but still rare;who would want to pay 100k to get a T-Neck worth less than 90k? Or keep in mind that you might be unlucky and get sick of unsuccessfully killing winter slimes, without thinking, you could go back to woodland and end up forking out another 100k next time you go. It's alot of money to pay to go to a previously free map-or any map for that matter-. It's a good idea Wombat but I just can't see it working out positively.
:DTahli, Admin on three servers that are not my own. :D