[WIP] Playerset - CR1 - NEEDS HELP

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [WIP] Playerset - CR1 - Fother J

Post by bcs86 »

One of the little issues I see with those 3 flinching frames is that the sprite bends back like being hit in the face.
Would look silly to see when fighting small monsters like maggot. It might just not look good at all.
Another game, which we all envy too much, made the player sprites keel forward, as though being hit in the stomach.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

It would also be nice if the head is kept straight, so we don't need more hair and hat frames.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

jaxad0127 wrote:It would also be nice if the head is kept straight, so we don't need more hair and hat frames.
Indeed :)

There will only be the 5 head frames! (my previous response was rushed due to co-workers waiting to use the cafe computers :oops: )

I know I've said differently before, but:
Eyes, head, torso & arms, underwear & legs are the 4 component sections I've broken the sprite into on my side.
This gives the most flexibility in recombining frames, especially since these are the main parts where the frames can be thinned out and save us time on fixing and making new equip and animations.
Plus those legs repeat a lot, so that's a lot less frames for pants art :D

Mirroring ability is also now a must have, and a property/tag in the xml to flip-H or flip-V would assist in this nicely :D.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Fother J wrote:Mirroring ability is also now a must have, and a property/tag in the xml to flip-H or flip-V would assist in this nicely :D.
:(
I was hoping to not see mirroring, but support for it can be added.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

bcs86 wrote:3 getting-hit frames from the wiki with a few touch-ups, Namely underwear and changed the file format from GIF to a PNG with transparent pixels.
Tmw_chara_getting_hit.png
Plans for them were dropped I suppose.
This flinch pose looks like it would require addition of frames for all the hat sprites in all 4 poses.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Fother J wrote:
jaxad0127 wrote:It would also be nice if the head is kept straight, so we don't need more hair and hat frames.
Indeed :)

There will only be the 5 head frames! (my previous response was rushed due to co-workers waiting to use the cafe computers :oops: )

I know I've said differently before, but:
Eyes, head, torso & arms, underwear & legs are the 4 component sections I've broken the sprite into on my side.
This gives the most flexibility in recombining frames, especially since these are the main parts where the frames can be thinned out and save us time on fixing and making new equip and animations.
Plus those legs repeat a lot, so that's a lot less frames for pants art :D

Mirroring ability is also now a must have, and a property/tag in the xml to flip-H or flip-V would assist in this nicely :D.
We could do some expression on the face for the flich with out moving the head. Could be a simple wince X( to an (X_X) over the eyes. I vote for the spinning spires for eyes like Qoal gave the Mouboos.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

IIUC, this would for now add:
- An Eyes layer,
- A head layer,
((- (Why not) a beard layer? as there are some already done.))
- Torso & arms,
- Underwear
- Legs

I'm also for an optional tag used in head armors xml to say: don't draw hairs.
Something like <... noHair="true">

What do you think?

Regards.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Bertram wrote:Hi,

IIUC, this would for now add:
- An Eyes layer,
- A head layer,
((- (Why not) a beard layer? as there are some already done.))
- Torso & arms,
- Underwear
- Legs

I'm also for an optional tag used in head armors xml to say: don't draw hairs.
Something like <... noHair="true">

What do you think?

Regards.
As soon as you start change the size or shape of the head, torso, arms, and legs it affects and could break all the sprites for all the clothes we have done. Eyes, beard, and underwear would be ok as far as I can see.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Black Don wrote:As soon as you start change the size or shape of the head, torso, arms, and legs it affects and could break all the sprites for all the clothes we have done. Eyes, beard, and underwear would be ok as far as I can see.
We're fine with breaking existing equipment. Better to do it now when we don't have anything approved for TMWServ use than later, when we'll have to update several pieces.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Black Don wrote:As soon as you start change the size or shape of the head, torso, arms, and legs it affects and could break all the sprites for all the clothes we have done. Eyes, beard, and underwear would be ok as far as I can see.
We're fine with breaking existing equipment. Better to do it now when we don't have anything approved for TMWServ use than later, when we'll have to update several pieces.
Its one thing to add new frames for old equipment, it is another to have to completely redraw from scratch, which is what would happen if you start to play around with the players body shape and size to much.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

• Underwear layer - ?!? Let's just call it the legs or lower body layer.
  • Facial hair layer - it'd all have to be short facial hair that doesn't extend outside of the head sprite, since the torso sprite (which includes the arms) is above the head sprite, and that's a problem with hands that cross the head layer (or the neck area in general). Please do not say "well.. just separate the arms" because that overcomplicated the sprite and makes simple shirt sprites a nightmare [I've already tested this!]. No no no no no.
  • Nohair tag - interesting... perhaps it could be complicated further as an ALTHAIR tag where 0 turns off hair for a helmet, and any other value would correspond to an alternate id set of the hair style's xml where an id 1 would be something like an alt hair sprite set that displays from the middle of the head downward to avoid clipping issues, and id 2 could be the alt set for headbands (provided all head bands have the same placement area on the head).
Black Don wrote:Its one thing to add new frames for old equipment, it is another to have to completely redraw from scratch, which is what would happen if you start to play around with the players body shape and size to much.
BD, the parts will assemble right back to the existing frames... we'll just need to draw equipment frames for the new additional actions. Also... look at the bright side... with these separated out into layers and many of the components being reused in other frames, it'll be less drawing for new equipment. I hope to make this as painless as possible so you don't kill me BD :oops:

Also... I hate to ask this, but all of you... can we keep down the panic about these sprites until I actually have their sheets posted! dadnabbit :lol:
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,
Nohair tag - interesting... perhaps it could be complicated further as an ALTHAIR tag where 0 turns off hair for a helmet, and any other value would correspond to an alternate id set of the hair style's xml where an id 1 would be something like an alt hair sprite set that displays from the middle of the head downward to avoid clipping issues, and id 2 could be the alt set for headbands (provided all head bands have the same placement area on the head).
:arrow: Clever idea in my opinion.
can we keep down the panic about these sprites until I actually have their sheets posted! dadnabbit
:arrow: He, he. Right Fother. :wink:

Regards.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Fother I'm all for making things easier I just don't want to see things become more complicated.

No panicking from me. Just want to make sure we are all on the same page. :)
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I know Fother you are the owner of this subproject, but I would like to see if you have any advance to show us, just the current progress or if you need help with the playerset progress.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

This is blocking a lot of other work.

Status report?

Anything done? Anything to show? Anything to say? Anything to drink? Anything?
This message used to be meaningful.