Prevent item stealing

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Magick
Novice
Novice

Prevent item stealing

Post by Magick »

A way to prevent item stealing is to put a drop protection on. This means that when a player kill's a monster only he can pick it up for..i say 10 seconds.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

What I said...
But you should add another check for the distance between the item and the player, so when the designated player walks away or dies everyone can pick it up.

Also I don't think it should be the killer to have the right to pick the item up, but the one who has dealt the most damage... or maybe even better: The one who recieved most damage (the one who dealt most damage if no damage was taken by any player), to prevent high-level players to 'steal' from their inferiors.

Oh, and 10 seconds is VERY long, try to count to 10... I'd say we make it 3-6 seconds. And a perimiter of about 6-10 tiles.
Last edited by Modanung on 21 Jul 2005, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

Yea i get what you mean. So it should be about 3-6 seconds and if you walk 45-8 tiles away the protection is canceld. Also the level thing is a problem. A low level character could hurt just as much as a high level. If the high level attacked it first and he got attacked and the low level came up and stole the last hit he would still get the drop. I think we will have to think harder about that part.
MathGeek
Novice
Novice

Post by MathGeek »

I don't think the distance condition is needed. If Vulchers can't wait 10 seconds then they can kill something themselves. How would this system deal with groups attacking?
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Magick: No he wouldn't... the low level character would have taken less damage, so the high level character would still get the droppings.

MathGeek: Imagine a friendly high level character killing monsters to find items for his companion (a low lever character), and then says "Here, you can have it.". Then he'd need to wait 10 seconds. Or a warrior with a supporting healer wants to give the item to the healer.
It would be a lot easier just to walk away (to the next monster for instance) then to wait or to pick-up-'n-drop/trade.

I don't know about groups. :roll:
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
michellembrodeur
Peon
Peon

Post by michellembrodeur »

Modanung wrote:Magick: No he wouldn't... the low level character would have taken less damage, so the high level character would still get the droppings.

MathGeek: Imagine a friendly high level character killing monsters to find items for his companion (a low lever character), and then says "Here, you can have it.". Then he'd need to wait 10 seconds. Or a warrior with a supporting healer wants to give the item to the healer.
It would be a lot easier just to walk away (to the next monster for instance) then to wait or to pick-up-'n-drop/trade.

I don't know about groups. :roll:
But if you attack the mob with bows you may never have taken damage.
then what?
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

michellembrodeur wrote:But if you attack the mob with bows you may never have taken damage.
then what?
Just read...
Modanung wrote:...(the one who dealt most damage if no damage was taken by any player)...
MathGeek
Novice
Novice

Post by MathGeek »

Modanung: If a character in a group kills a monster, I think the System would go like this:

1- The character that inficted the most damage would have free access for 5 seconds.
2- All characters in the group would have access for 5 seconds.
3- All characters would have free access after 10 Seconds.

This should solve the issues that have been brought up. Any other thoughts?
DeathJoker
Novice
Novice

Post by DeathJoker »

I think if your killing in a group it should be to whoever gets it first, Then if someone else wants it make them ask for it
I am the leader of Grey Mana. Image
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think it's important first to define a group.
Is a group only a party? Or is a group also when someone you don't even know suddenly starts attacking the creature you almost killed?
MathGeek
Novice
Novice

Post by MathGeek »

Modanung wrote:I think it's important first to define a group.
Is a group only a party? Or is a group also when someone you don't even know suddenly starts attacking the creature you almost killed?
In the example I gave I was thinking a group is a party. This was also why I said whoever inflicted the most damage would get to choose first, rather than whoever killed it. It would suck if someone finished off a monster that you'd started and took your items. This would also be a great reason to be in a party with other people.
criptos
Novice
Novice

Is all about balance and Skill...

Post by criptos »

Looting is a Skill.

Looting require, speed, reflexes, liberty of movements, and health.

So, a player, heavlily armored and carring a lot of things, and very wounded, may can have the same looting capability that a noob...

If a player has the same looting stat as other, then strength come in play (I take the item of your hands)...

Even 5 seconds is too slow. 2/3 seconds is more than enough, and remember, the first hack that will be available will be the autoloot.

:)
May the Source be With You
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

it is already aviable :p
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Criptos... that's just plain sick.
criptos
Novice
Novice

Post by criptos »

Modanung wrote:Criptos... that's just plain sick.

So... you llike it :twisted:
May the Source be With You