[DIS] Items - Equipment

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS] Items - Equipment

Post by Rotonen »

So, we need to lock this down for CR1.

We have been discussing that equipment pieces need slots, but those would not be relevant for CR1 yet. Do we still implement this in the background?

We have also been discussing over the years that we want random drop equipment to be almost unique: to have a large battery of (potential?) different properties which have random values within a range. Think Diablo 2, World of Warcraft or Silkroad Online here.

If we take this approach, I think we should also take the classification and color coding approach here:

1) Gray - crap and barely usable.
2) White - basic usable.
3) Blue - basic with something extra in it.
4) Green - better than it should be for its level (as in what level you require to be sensibly able to obtain it), rare.
N) Gold - unique as in specifically designed with fixed values, no random involved and rather über in both capability and rareness.

I know this has been done to death, but it rather seems to work.

If we can agree on this, after that we can move on to the fun of what attributes can equipment in CR1 have.

Let's use what I'd like to have as the usual procedure here (sorry, but I'm a committee procedure type of a person):

1) Someone makes an initial proposal (in this case I did)
2) You can either support it with argumentation OR counter-propose with your proposal (also with argumentation)
3) If there were counter-proposals it goes into a discussion over the candidates after which we should come up with a solution
This message used to be meaningful.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Re: [DIS] Items - Equipment

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I fail to understand where the color scheme is meant to be applyed.
Do we want it to be used only as a classification system (and so how this could help us improving the quality of the game), or should it be part of the gameplay, in particular visible in game?
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I think the best place for this color scheme to show would be on the equipment screen when you have the piece of equipment equipped
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Apparently I've written it really poorly and no one has played any of the referenced games: the color is for the font of the item name.

Also the main point here is more the categorization than how we visualize the categorization. Do we go for such a scheme? Any input on this?

Unless someone counter-proposes with something or voices support for rejecting this proposition I'm going to consider this accepted.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

How about an icon next to the name instead?
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I just want to suggest a color for a craft related item (can be combined with other items to get a crafted item) will have a basic price but can be combined or crafted to get an special item or something pricey.
Also we can also use the background on the inventory to show the color of the item ( just the cell where the item is located at)

I agree the proposal.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

I hope you don't mind if I chime in, but I don't understand that use of colours:
  • There is no `natural' or `intuitive' meaning of colours across cultures that I'm aware of, so you'd be assigning those meanings from scratch. As such, they'd be part of the game world. From this perspective, wouldn't it be more natural to colour the items rather than their name?
  • The set of easily distinguishable colours is finite, and you'd be stuck with these arbitrarily assigned meanings when you later decide to extend the list.
  • Not all players can easily distinguish all colours.
Why not use prefixes (`Legendary...', `Blessed...', `Edible...') or suffixes (`... of Doom', `... of Moderately Enhanced Spellcasting', `... of Local Differentiability') that actually describe where the item's (dis)advantages lie, or descriptive icons, as Jaxad suggested, perhaps combined with special effects (e.g., particles or animations or `auras') or simply descriptive text (`this instance of the rusty spork is +1 against strawberry cake, or +2 if equipped together with whipped cream').

-- fate
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Prefixes and suffixes for the name I was hoping to leave for what effects it has outside of the normal attributes a piece of equipment is going to have in TMW. Along the lines what Fate brought to the table here.

In my initial proposition I was merely carbon copying the scheme Blizzard has made from scratch, which has pretty much become intuitive to a lot of MMO players out there already.

The point of this visualization? Since the quality of equipment_piece_x can vary within our proposed scheme depending on what attributes it has, there should be some newbie friendly way to give out the rough worth of the piece to players so they do not have to have deep insight into the game mechanics and don't end up selling worthy items as NPC crap all the time.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Why not the simple +1, +2, -50, etc, modifiers? Ex: Shot sword +5.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

And have all other bonuses besides base damage or defence add prefixes and suffixes? A valid alternative to the approach.

This begs the question: what attributes can our pieces of equipment have? At least base damage/defence and elemental damage/resistance have been established here. Attack speed?

Should we display derived stats like average damage per second?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Affecting base stats (str, agi, dex, vit, wis, int) should be possible and used (at least negatively; ex: that heavy armor is good for defense, but it reduces your agility).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Heavy armor is already planned to affect attributes negatively in a different way. But only after weight management is ingame.
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Attributes

One did-not-read-the-wiki penalty point for Jaxad.

On-Topic:
This begs the question: what attributes can our pieces of equipment have? At least base damage/defence and elemental damage/resistance have been established here. Attack speed?
Weapons:
-Weapon family (skill used)
-sprite
-coloration
-Attack speed
-Damage
-Damage Delta
-Damage Element
-Defence Penetration
-Number of rune slots
-Durability
-Attribute requirements (skills or attributes)
-Weight
-Percentual or absoulute bonus on any basic or derived attribute

Armors:
-Armor family (used slot)
-sprite
-coloration
-Physical defence
-Magical defence
-Elemental modifier
-Number of rune slots
-Durability
-Level requirement
-Weight
-Percentual or absoulute bonus on any basic or derived attribute
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

That was an example of possible usage.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

No potential rune slots on weapons?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Right, forgot about that. Thanks for reading closely. [corrected]
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.