Games with alcohol systems

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Re: Games with alcohol systems

Post by Ces »

Rotonen wrote:With a brief look you missed the best point about how WoWs alcohol system works.

When you drink, you start to feel more confident in yourself. This is portrayed by first making your stats look a bit better, your equipment look a bit better and even your level seem a bit higher. Ultimately even the monsters seem to be of a lower level.

If you have forgotten you are drunk in the game, this can lead into some interesting encounters out on the field.

It is so far the best alcohol system I have seen.
Ha ha ha, now I almost want to try out WoW. If TMW could do something similar it would be marvelous!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That's an interesting effect but it does still not give people a real reason to drink alcohol when they know the effect is fake.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Crush wrote:That's an interesting effect but it does still not give people a real reason to drink alcohol when they know the effect is fake.
Well, there is no real reason to drink alcohol in real life either. ;) Yet lots of people do, even though they are aware of the negative effects. Ces said that he almost wanted to try WoW because of that effect, and considering all the jokes about beer in TMW, I think that people will drink alcohol in TMW for the same reason.

If the negative effects are amusing enough, there is no need for positive effects. Games are generally supposed to be amusing, so there are few better reasons to do something in a game than because it causes something amusing to happen. :)
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

In a similar “fashion”, don’t we all like to wear different clothing in-game, even though they clearly are quite inferior armourwise?

A good laugh, something strange, a queer occurance, a silly event. It’s really that kind of gameplay/content that keeps me around.

I personally do not care too much aboutt the alcohol system since I as a player will have the choice whether to drink or not in-game. But, if you want positive game-play effects, perhaps taking the best from both worlds? (In your drunken state, when things look brighter than they really are, more experience and/or boosting skill and/or more extreme haggling can be given/take place.)
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Perhaps aside from those things that WoW has done, perhaps making it so if you buy stuff when you are drunk it's possible you give too much, or not enough at either shops or trading with characters. Like the actual price that gets paid can be 30% higher or lower. The same could be done when fighting, you could hit 30% higher or lower. (although I think it would be better if the odds were more often in the negative.)
This would be a way of adding a positive with something that is also a negative.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

http://www.endless-online.com this is a game the makes of sirus get 80% of thier inspiration from and are from it originally.

the alchohol system makes your crontols backwards and slurrs your speech adding an occasional "*hic" onto it. the alchohol there is called "Fairysoda"
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

A high percentage of the dev crew runs on high percentage alcohol.

I cannot see how we could mess up our alcohol system.
This message used to be meaningful.
Slave
Novice
Novice

Post by Slave »

thats the spirit. *bottle of corona in-hand*
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
eden
Peon
Peon

Post by eden »

I don't know if anyone say it before but...

In Ultima Online, you can be drunked, the effect that I can see is that the PJ one time upon 1 or 4 seconds automaticly move 1 o 2 squares. And the PJ fails very much the hits. Moreover I can hear a sound of hiccups.

But you can add thinks like that don't to show the damange in a fight, don't show the live, and reduce the field that the PJ can see with a black layer. Moreover show only 4 o 5 first character of a conversation. Thus drunken only have conversation like "hi" "yes" ...

BAIBAI
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What's a "PJ"?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I guess it's the Player.
eden
Peon
Peon

Post by eden »

What's a "PJ"?
It's the player.. sorry, I wrote it in spanish. ><

BAIBAI
InspectorShameless
Novice
Novice

Post by InspectorShameless »

[EDIT]
Last edited by InspectorShameless on 29 Oct 2009, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

InspectorShameless wrote:
Rotonen wrote:A high percentage of the dev crew runs on high percentage alcohol.
I cannot see how we could mess up our alcohol system.
With a little help from a sysAdmin, maybe ...

~ Tyna, where are my posts ?
Well, she mostly seems to run on beer, but is prone for Zubrowka too as far as I know...
This message used to be meaningful.
Nadja
Peon
Peon

Post by Nadja »

Ok since my character consumes between 50-350 beers a playing session depending on how long I'm on, and myself well I run on alcohol so I will totally make suggestions for alcohol systems.

Pros:
The more you drink the less pain you feel (could be increase in hp or armor)
If you're an angry drunk then when you fight you will fight dirty (more attacks per second, throwing dirt in your opponents eyes and blinding them, urinating on corpses)

Cons:
Balance issues (when you want to move left you move right)
Slurred speech (spells work only half the time, or you cast a different spell)
Clothing is constrictive (your character randomly removes clothing/equipment)
Everybody is cutting their eyes at you (you attack anything nearby)
Keep the change (You pay more than the listed price at shops)
Blacking out (Staying still too long will cause you to black out and wake up with a different hair style)