Reorganization: Finally! But what and how?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Reorganization: Finally! But what and how?

Post by Rotonen »

So, this much I know so far:

1) I'm still in the role of managing content creation and being the oversight for it.
2) I know the people working under me and who their underlings are: As in I'm up to date and aware of resources related to my field of responsibility here.
3) Elven is still above me and everyone else.
4) As far as I can see, alongside me, under Elven, is Platyna, maintaining the server in the holy trinity of tech - community - content addition. (I could be wrong on the details of this.)

So:

1) Who are under Elven?
2) What do these people do?
3) Who are under these people and what do they do?
4) Does someone still want to have a plynpom wiggle battle with me about how we handle the content releases for TMW or are we all clear and proceeding with how the new forum section dictates?

This all boils down to: who is responsible for the TMW client these days and who is responsible for the TMW server these days?

I can manage requesting stuff from manasource.org for the needs of content creation, but who do I bug to get it over to the TMW side of things? And especially only the things we need: unnecessary codebase is unnecessary.

Should we even draw a nice figure into the wiki and keep it up to date for once? And based on that perhaps keep also the forum statuses up to date?

So many questions, so many options, so many years of work ahead of us to actually make a game. We should agree on things and just do it to get it done.
This message used to be meaningful.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Reorganization: Finally! But what and how?

Post by fate »

Hi,

Just to double-check-- I assume that by `tmw server' you mean the program formerly known as tmwserv? (I haven't made time to read through all the organisational changes yet.)

What I personally would like to know is who will be in charge of eAthena content management, if anyone, after the graveyard maps and Halloween event are done. I'm still hoping to deliver on the eAthena content promises I made, so I will need to co-ordinate with that person.

The time frame I intend for the first batch of these changes is post-November until before or around Christmas. Thus, this question needn't be answered yet, though this seemed like a good opportunity to raise it.

-- fate
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I guess I'm still there....
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Game development coordination:
Bjorn manages the developers and programming, I believe when Elven comes back for good they will be RAID1 array.

Eathena (and perhaps in-spe any other production server)
Me: I do manage the host the eathena runs in general hosting scope plus the part that is community related (which in this case is gm_account.txt).
Jaxad: manages eathena in TMW developers scope.
If one of us is not available for longer amount of time, the second person take over the role.

Forum (technical)
Me: general maintenance
Bjorn: takes overs my tasks when I am not here (besides community moderation - until he wants so), coordinates all forum content that is related to TMW development.

Forum (moderation)
Me, plus there is needed another person, probably Rotonen.

Site, mantis etc.:
Bjorn.
Me (when he is not available).

Basically the target should be RAID1 schema plus clearly defined roles, for perfect organization.

Regards..
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Rotonen wrote:I can manage requesting stuff from manasource.org for the needs of content creation, but who do I bug to get it over to the TMW side of things? And especially only the things we need: unnecessary codebase is unnecessary.
By only cherry-picking commits from Manasource instead of just using the Manasource software as-is you would create a lot of additional work without much benefit.

You will most likely introduce more (and more obscure) bugs by leaving out code than you will have by including code you don't need.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Depending on whether manasource will go for the modular approach there has been promise of. That would allow us to use only what we need.

As long as the game works, is playable and people enjoy it, I don't care too much of the black box on which it runs from my point of view. My main point there was more along the lines of "We need someone as a tech maintainer for TMW, anyone want to step up for this?" so let's not get stuck on stuff I might have goofed up in that particular statement which was also outside of my scope in this project.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Proper responibilities are to be exposed, set or updated clearly and used in a gentle manner, I guess.

As for me, it's simple, I'm a dev.

Regards.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

What does "a dev" do these days on TMW? On manasource it is rather clear how things work out - that one is just a loose bunch of people working together on enabling things on a platform.

I suppose a tech dev helps the people responsible for maintaining the TMW client and server.

So, who is going to be our client maintainer?

I'm also concluding that Platyna has voiced that she can be forced into maintaining the TMW (not eA) server.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I plan to be part of the client mantainers, so count me in. I already started some thinking about restructuring our git repositories and keeping them up to date with manasource ones.

At this time I'd really like to see a draft of an organizational chart for the TMW project. People are really starting to loose references and we need to know who's responsible for what, and who should we ask to.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

I know that my place as a 'simple dev' doesn't really fit anymore those days on the mana world. :mrgreen:

The fact is, that a team working on a project is always a bunch of people trying to put something on the table, whatever the project is. :wink:

Now, the questions are:
What are the jobs to be adressed?
Who does already a particular function and is willing to keep it up, and what is remaining?
And then, how the content workflow actually gets into each games (Ea and Manaserv) is not really defined, at least for Ea?
Should I stop answering on the mana world forum and be banned for technical harassment? ;)

Just an humble opinion from the untrusted old one that I am.

Regards.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

http://www.cogmap.com/chart/tmw-organiz ... revision-1

This is how I see this project now.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Yeah I can handle new TMW server, since eathena will sooner or late be obsoleted by it.

Regards.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Platyna wrote:Yeah I can handle new TMW server, since eathena will sooner or late be obsoleted by it.
I am not expecting TMW to surpass the eA crap in popularity for two or three years to come. Not until we get enough content releases out there.

Getting content out there might take its sweet time, but eA should keep the crowd entertained in the meanwhile and getting well thought out quality content is better than getting eA level content. After a few years once we have enough out there, TMW could start to be considered a proper MMO game in my opinion too.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

I guess I'll stay a bit more in the four monkey spots, if someone is willing to make social grooming... ;)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

As I already stated, I plan to take care of client maintenance/development, so be sure to add my name there.

And I propose Bertram as Server mantainer, since he is the one most actively working on tmwserv/manaserv development.

I think at the moment, while ea is still alive, everyone responsible for one meta project should be rosposible also for the other.

Also I would like to consider a couple of other meta-projects: web (which means keeping up-to-date/renewing website, forums, tmwweb and so on) and community (which means forum moderation and in game moderation since I see server-admin more of a tech work)

I could take care of web and I hope Platyna will take care of community.