Tiled : Java and tutorials

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Vicks
Peon
Peon

Tiled : Java and tutorials

Post by Vicks »

Hi, i dont give tutorials sorry ^^" but im wish that (sorry for my bad english).
Yes, i have install JAVA RUNTIME ENGINE, and with this programm i can use the "titled" of the site (the "start now")But i whish used my downloaded version but i think that to hard for my bad english. Here I have to try anything of tutoriaux but nothing goes, that bug! Can you explain me how to install "titled" of zero for somebody who never really used "java" . Thank you all for your help and anything.
(If a french user know the solution, can he help me ?)
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

have you tried
1) downloading the program
2) unpacking it
3) then double-clicking the .jar file?
that's all there is to it, really...

if that doesn't work, try make a batch file with "java -jar tiled.jar" in the tiled directory (this is just a workaround in case the jar file type isn't linked to your java runtime). if it *still* doesnt work then, maybe you're using the microsoft java vm (the one that comes with winblows); try getting the one from sun instead.
Vicks
Peon
Peon

Post by Vicks »

but when i look the INSTALL from the directory its write that i must instal ant apache and anything... i miss that and i just install J2SDK ? i dont must install other thing for lauch the program ? Just J2DSK and tiled.jar ? (i think that they can compil that in a executable file, with java the exe compiled can be lauch with unix windows etc...)
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

wtf are you talking about apache etc? no need for that at all. besides, you want the java RTE, as in "runtime environment", not the SDK (= software development kit"). (unless you want to code something in java, that is, of course.)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html - look/ctrl-f for "J2SE v 1.4.2_08 JRE". right below the sdk package (pretty stupid of sun to present it in that noob-confusing order, btw, if you ask me).
Vicks
Peon
Peon

Post by Vicks »

Mhhh, here im with an other pc and all is allright..i think its my other pc who is "buging" lol si thank you and for the moment i have any problem (with JRE) but with SDK i will try an other moment. Thank you
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

It should work out of the box when you have installed JRE 5.0. The INSTALL file refers to both "building tiled" and "running tiled", and when you've downloaded the binary (bin) archive then you can skip the building part.

We'll make sure to update the INSTALL file to mention this to avoid future confusion, and also to have it mention double clicking the jar file should work on Windows instead of only mentioning the command line way.
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

And don't forget that double clicking ONLY works with java 1.5+
As I made the mistake to thinkk 1.4.x was sufficient and it took
some time to find that mistake :)