Website Client Integration

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Website Client Integration

Post by drewtoma »

I think we should find a way to put the game client on the website like a browser mmorpg. So people who can't download the client can play and then players wont have to update there client just there browser. The only problem's I could see would be the bandwidth, lag, and that the site is almost always down so people w/o the client would be S.O.L because they wouldn't be able to download the client. :mrgreen:
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Website Client Integration

Post by Ceros »

drewtoma wrote:I think we should find a way to put the game client on the website like a browser mmorpg. So people who can't download the client can play and then players wont have to update there client just there browser. The only problem's I could see would be the bandwidth, lag, and that the site is almost always down so people w/o the client would be S.O.L because they wouldn't be able to download the client. :mrgreen:
We would love it if you could do that - please post again when you have the source for it. Thanks!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The TMW client is a piece of software which is much more complex than it looks. Redeveloping it as a web application would mean to restart programming from scratch. This would take several years.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Post by drewtoma »

What if we just embedded the .exe into the web page itself. :mrgreen:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

drewtoma wrote:What if we just embedded the .exe into the web page itself. :mrgreen:
It's not possible to embed a .exe in a webpage.

Fortunately. Just think about the security risks when your web browser would execute arbitary binary code embedded in webpages you visit.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Post by drewtoma »

Ya but what if we coded something that you have the client running but the web page is a GUI and you use that to input the data or something like that so it would be like this:
Web page-Client-Server. :mrgreen:
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

What would be the point?
~Feline Monstrosity
drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Post by drewtoma »

Idk you could change the looks on holidays. I must admit that would be pointless. If only it would work. :mrgreen:
drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Post by drewtoma »

While were on the subject of the client what if we put a link like the one depicted here http://www.openwinforms.com/run_exe_fro ... cript.html and replaced it with the client instead of the messenger so we could start the client from the forum and the website. If you like this I would love to inquorate this into the website as I am a web designer. :mrgreen:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think you don't understand what that article is about.

It explains how to add a new protocol type to the users internet explorer (and no other browser) which is handled by an application already installed on the users machine.

All this would do is allowing a new type of link which would start the TMW client (in the usual way, not embedded in a webpage) when clicked on. The user would still have to install the TMW client normally to be able to use this link.

There is still one possible application for this technique, though: Registering a "mana://" url in that way during the installation of the client would allow other servers to provide a "play now" link with some command line parameters on their homepage as a comfortable way to connect to their servers. But it is questionable if this is really worth it because windows users are just a fraction of the TMW community and I believe those which still use the internet explorer for surfing are an only a fraction of those.
  • NOT a game master

drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Post by drewtoma »

Crush wrote:I think you don't understand what that article is about.

It explains how to add a new protocol type to the users internet explorer (and no other browser) which is handled by an application already installed on the users machine.

All this would do is allowing a new type of link which would start the TMW client (in the usual way, not embedded in a webpage) when clicked on. The user would still have to install the TMW client normally to be able to use this link.

There is still one possible application for this technique, though: Registering a "mana://" url in that way during the installation of the client would allow other servers to provide a "play now" link with some command line parameters on their homepage as a comfortable way to connect to their servers. But it is questionable if this is really worth it because windows users are just a fraction of the TMW community and I believe those which still use the internet explorer for surfing are an only a fraction of those.
I was presenting a different idea than the original one, because I didn't want to create another thread. I know that there different I was just presenting something elts.
Say if on a client update it changed your registry like the site was talking about like so

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TMW]
@="URL: TMW Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TMW\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TMW\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Owf\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\TMW\\Client.exe\" %1"			
I have not installed the client I use the portable version so I don't know the install dir.

Then we add a like on the home page and the forum's and stuff.

Code: Select all

<a href="TMW:client.exe">Open TMW Client</a>
It needs some fixing but that's about it.(I think) Sorry for the confusion. :mrgreen:
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

Crush wrote:
drewtoma wrote:What if we just embedded the .exe into the web page itself. :mrgreen:
It's not possible to embed a .exe in a webpage.

Fortunately. Just think about the security risks when your web browser would execute arbitary binary code embedded in webpages you visit.
how would that change anything? last time I check it was possible to rename the windows directory by useing ActiveX.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:I think you don't understand what that article is about.

Other browsers support such custom protocols too. Ubuntu seems to have a Fifefox protocol (apt://) for installing packages from the web.
drewtoma
Peon
Peon

Post by drewtoma »

Well do you think we should add the client start up next update. Should he hold a poll. I personaly think it is a good idea. :mrgreen:
MoneyX
Novice
Novice

Post by MoneyX »

drewtoma wrote:Well do you think we should add the client start up next update. Should he hold a poll. I personaly think it is a good idea. :mrgreen:
Dude just shut up.. you're obviously trying to hard and you don't even know what you're talking about.

Why do you feel you have to post on almost every single topic when it's just mindless spam? We get it, you want to fit in, try and be a dev, look cool. Guess what? You aren't.