magic problems

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
nyos
Peon
Peon

magic problems

Post by nyos »

First of all I am posting this here because I could find no suitable place to post my problem. If mods of the forums think this needs to be moved I understand. :D

The problem I am having is such. First I killed the sick mouboo, and now wyara and sagatha will not teach. This I know why and understand. (The things we do as a young, low level character) When I go to the earth spirit to learn he wants the branch. However, I can not cut the tree. This is the problem. I have used every combination and arrangement of the words, "cut", "tree", "branch", "limb", "/me", "*" to no avail. Also yes I am using the bone knife. I have talk to devs, Gms, and players alike and have achieved nothing. The reason I am working on this is to learn the "#betsanc" spell. It seems that I can not learn via the "light" path, and also can not go the "dark" path either. If someone who has access to the "athena.txt" character save file, server side, could take a look and see what wrong that would be gravy. Because at this point, as far as I can tell, something is wrong with a flag.

Thanks for the help! :D

Contact info:
TMW forum PM or
email - nyosbs86@fastmail.fm
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: magic problems

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Try "talking" to the tree like an NPC.
nyos
Peon
Peon

Post by nyos »

I figured it out using my home sever. You can hug the tree and kill mouboo or vise versa. This does two things: One after hugging the tree you can not cut it, two killing the mouboo will disallow a player to learn nature and astral magic through Sagatha and Wayra. Hence, you can go neither the "light" or "dark" path. Hence hence, "your screwed"! Only fix is to go to the "athena.txt" character save file and remove value 1 and 2 from the "MAGIC_QUEST" line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------End of Post----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

the MAGIC_QUEST variables are very tightly packed, so modifying them directly or even zeroing them is not an option. The right solution is to permit cutting the tree even after hugging, if you've killed the mouboo, or something along these lines.

Here's a possible fix: http://pastebin.com/f24828b15

I don't have time to test this (recall that there are many cases that need testing!) so I won't commit it, but if someone else wants to give it a shot, go ahead! Remember to test all cases of what you've done to the mouboo, what you've done to the tree, and whether you know about cutting and/or watering the tree. (64 combinations total, in theory, but many cases are quite easily subsumed logically.)

EDIT: My apologies for missing this case while putting together the scripts!

-- fate
nyos
Peon
Peon

Post by nyos »

Update-----

Well I don't know if someone fixed something or what happened, however after messing around with it again it finally worked. Don't know what I did different, or if I even did, but worked and mission achieved.