Im a newb + I want to know if warrior or archer is better...

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Drahcir
Peon
Peon

Im a newb + I want to know if warrior or archer is better...

Post by Drahcir »

Hi, I know this is a bit of a vague question but which is better: warrior or archer, and why? I only just started playing so I need some guidence. Thanks in advance
Last edited by Drahcir on 16 Nov 2009, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Image Drahcir - Level 26 noob
Vegas
Peon
Peon

Re: I'm a newb

Post by Vegas »

i would say whichever you like more :P
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

archer hits better but is weak so you only have to be prepared to flee
warrior has balanced stats, depending on what exactly you are hunting. so nothing is too great but the average is ok.
mage is normally weak because he can't wear armour or the spells are weaker. So he always needs to heal himslef or needs a tank near him
tank is slowly and doesn't hit to well unless the level is high enough to have points left for dex. so he is useful on raids but wouldn't level very fast.

Maybe someone can say a bit more, that's all I can say.

cu ingame
Leela
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

It depends on what you wish to hunt. Low levels pretty much have to be knights because archery is too expensive at low levels.

From lvl 50 to 70 archery is your best hope to start hunting stronger creatures like mountain and grass snakes. I'd say throw it all on 99 dex (or as much as you can afford) and the rest (if any) you distribute as you see fit (some chose vit, others chose agi, luck or int - it depends on what you expect from your char)

However, once you reach a high enough level, if you like skulls, jacko, skeletons and zombies, a knight (or tank) might be better and you don't die as often.

Magic provides some good quests (with the additional xp) and it's pretty good and fun at least for a while. However you don't have a reliable affordable war spell to use all the time. The weak ones are too weak, while the strong one is too expensive and using the medium-damage ranged spell is more expensive and weaker than archery. Magic will be very good one day, but not at the moment. It's worth learning though, especially if you intend to do everything that is to be done in this game. And every once in a while you can kill really bad uglies for huge xp at low level (with the expensive powerful spell).

I'd say knight till lvl 40, mage till 50, archer till 70 and whatever suits you best from 70 up
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

Kill3rZ wrote:comments
I would disagree with Kill3rZ assessment a little bit. I started the game as a hodgepodge character, and put points into a bunch of stats. Galadriel (aka Doulos) tutored me on setting up an archer, and from about level 30 on, I switched and played archer only. Being an archer costs money, but money is easily attained in the bat caves. Going 'batting' for 20 minutes should be enough to keep you in arrows for several hours. You should put all of your points into DEX initially, because DEX ensures you hit more often and for more damage, which saves you money on arrows (because you miss less and need less arrows). Once you've maxed out DEX, I usually put my remaining points into VIT - as an archer, you should be able to kite any creature in the game, with the exception of some whisps, skulls and Jackos. But once you max DEX, you should be able to take everything else, as long as you keep your distance. In early levels, you should focus on the mines near the newbie grounds. Once you've leveled up a little more, the best place to grind as an archer is on the plains near Patchua (take the magic shack and then teleport, go in, run one cave and then you're on the wide open plains. Here, as long as you keep your distance and remain alert, you should pretty much be able to avoid any hits. I put the rest of my points in VIT because occasionally you're a little slow, or a mob spawns on top of you and you get hit once. Even if you get critted, you won't die instantly and your supply of roasted maggots (from batting, which you will get while earning cash) is what will keep you going. You should be able to take on anything in the game at this point, except for skulls. Previously, skulls were what you had to grind to be XP efficient, but now with the inclusion of the graveyard, it is relatively easy to power level as an archer. I would still consider switching over to a melee build at this time, just because there is much less effort in a melee build - you can stack and take many hits and generally read while leveling up, where an archer is going to be more vulnerable to critical hits.

So, to summarize, archer up until 60 or so, and then from there begin transitioning to warrior. Batcaves are your friends.
Drahcir
Peon
Peon

Post by Drahcir »

thanks for the help i'll keep it in mind and i'm sure i'll be asking loads more questions
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Use descriptive topic titles! For Christ sake, people, think!

Regards.
Drahcir
Peon
Peon

Post by Drahcir »

sorry, i will in the future
Booth
Knight
Knight

Post by Booth »

You can still change it now...
"Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken."
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic."
Drahcir
Peon
Peon

Re: Im a newb + I want to know if warrior or archer is better...

Post by Drahcir »

is that a better title?
meeps
Novice
Novice

Post by meeps »

This is the dumbest question, that somehow appears in every MMO I've played
JackDeth
Novice
Novice

Post by JackDeth »

There have been a lot of good replies here with excellent tips and opinions.

I won't disagree with anything anyone has said. However, I do just want to voice an opinion from my own point of view, which I'm sure just about everyone here will disagree with. In the game you have the option of changing/readjusting your stats at any time you like (provided you have the money).

I don't personally believe in changing your stats in the middle of the game as to me, it's kind of like cheating. So, what I've done from the beginning is made the decision to specialize in ALL the classes. So, from the start, I've averaged all my stats as I've gone along. So now, at lvl 76, my stats are 48 in everything except luck which is 33.

While I am not exceptional at any one class, I am pretty darn good at all of them and can hold my own most of the time. I try to make up for certain inadequacies by improving my fighting technique.

For example, most people when fighting Jacko will fight as a really strong warrior class. Or they fight as a small group of moderate lvl warriors and bring along a healer to heal them.

I like fighting Jacko by myself as I get more overall xp (on average 16k xp per Jacko). So, I will put on armor to get me through the caves alive to the plain where Jacko resides where I then switch quickly to robes. While I wait for magic to become available, I will run around the outer circumference of the plain letting him chase me. I will then use the more expensive attack spell INGRAV (lighting spell) to blast him as I run along. If I can stay just ahead of him and keep blasting away with the spell I will eventually kill him. However, all he has to do is hit me twice to kill me, so I have to make sure I get the chase pattern down perfectly and pray there is no lag.

The only downside to fighting like this is I only get 16k xp. If I can get a fighter to hit him just once, and then I finish him off, I can get over 30k xp for the same kill due to shared xp bonus.

The if I fight spiders in the mines, I go in as an archer and shoot them from a distance so I don't get hit and because they are slow.

If I fight in the graveyard I can take on female skeletons one on one by myself, but anything else is too touch without protection spells and potions. So, I either go as a healer to heal other for xp or fight as a warrior stacked up with a group of other warriors.

So, a lot of it depends upon the technique you use in each class as well. Don't think you have to be forced in to one class or another. There's a LOT of fun to be had playing in ALL classes.

:D
Booth
Knight
Knight

Post by Booth »

Averaging is probably the worst thing you could do...but that's my opinion. I never knew Galadriel was Doulos :o
"Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken."
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic."
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

I have to agree with booth's first sentence.

You get better results when you specialize for some time. I change every now and then and get good results. atm archer and happy with it. I tried very balanced stats once and it was just a mess. and i would not say I have a bad technique in fighting...

@booth: your last sentence was senseless and offtopic

cu ingame
Leela
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
confuciousnz
Novice
Novice

Post by confuciousnz »

I'd agree with that. Right now, and ever since I received a Forest Bow, I've been an archer, purely because it hits harder hit-wise, especially with iron arrows and 99dex.
But eventually, once I have more stat points to spread around, I'd like to revert back to a warrior, or learn a bit of magic, just to see how those gloves fit :)