My impressions of TMW if I may?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

mmmmnatheclumsyone
Peon
Peon

My impressions of TMW if I may?

Post by mmmmnatheclumsyone »

-increasing difficulty of defeating monsters. I feel like I've accomplished something getting the last 3 level increases for my Status. Or... am I doing it wrong? Oh well, I'll live with it.
-I found a walkthrough that I could actually READ and use as a REFERENCE - the wiki!
-I've made it into the mining caves, truly inspiring watching folks cooperate (I'm getting 'healed' while I cooperate in attacking the skull).
-user defined interface options for keyboard, etc.

Dislikes:
-Being unfamiliar with the acronyms being tossed about: GM, AFK, TLA (ROFL). Some I get, lol, some I do not get. I wish there could be a popup window that defines acronyms.
-Not sure how to get in touch with a GM for events such as players not using english, etc. don't know what to tell them, if I post in the forums, etc.

Observations:
1] I'm Playing TMW part of the time on a netbook (Asus EeePC 900A):
-it has a sketchy touchpad which is not fun at all. The mouse buttons have already all but totally failed, so I'm stuck with tapping the touch pad.... and this maker of touchpad (not a Synaptics touchpad) hates to leave the pointer in one place between double taps. I've used this one touchpad with 2 different drivers, they both act the same and it is a common complaint. Not the fault of TMW. Just wishing there were other ways to interface, but, in fact, the mouse buttons are the single most important user component in a laptop/noteboot/netbook. Asus is still a noob at notebook system design, I forgive them.
-the screen size is almost too small at 1024x600. Good thing the TMW client is so heavily optimized.
2] I'm still a noob at ANY MMO.
3] dropped items: do other players not realize that I can't take the dropped items from their kills, at least I can't get it until they walk away? They yell at me for picking up drops, but they walked away from the drop and went off the screen!
Or is it more about a set time span for them to grab the drop and after that it goes public?
Or am I still doing that wrong? If so, truly sorry about that, but I have evidence that suggests I can't immediately take their monster drops.
4] I cant seem to set screen resolution. I must be doing it wrong.

Wishes:
-Shift - Clicking multiple inventory items when trading, buying, selling or storing/retrieving items. Less time in the buy/sell lines!
-Maybe there could be a banker in every town? Not a request, just a thought. And item storage, too.
Last edited by mmmmnatheclumsyone on 09 Sep 2009, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Booth
Knight
Knight

Re: My impressions of TMW if I may?

Post by Booth »

GM-Game Master
AFK-Away From Keyboard
TLA-idk lol
ROFL-Rolling on the floor laughing

There is a certain time span for the item to become able to pickup by the public when dropped from a monster.
"Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken."
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic."
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

There is support for nearly full keyboard control, just look at the control/keyboard (can't remember what it's called) tab under the setup window to set controls. The only time I use the mouse pretty much is to talk to NPCs (none player characters if you're not familiar with the acronym :P).

If people yell at you for "stealing" drops then it's their fault and they're just being dicks. And the acronyms are mostly generic to any MMO or just the internet in general.

Good feedback though.
~Feline Monstrosity
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

Dislikes:
-Not sure how to get in touch with a GM for events such as players not using english, etc. don't know what to tell them, if I post in the forums, etc.
There is a comand to do like @agm to get in touch with any GM
and you have the abuse court or you can pm in forum
Observations:
1] I'm Playing TMW part of the time on a netbook (Asus EeePC 900A):
-it has a sketchy touchpad which is not fun at all. The mouse buttons have already all but totally failed, so I'm stuck with tapping the touch pad.... and this maker of touchpad (not a Synaptics touchpad) hates to leave the pointer in one place between double taps. I've used this one touchpad with 2 different drivers, they both act the same and it is a common complaint. Not the fault of TMW. Just wishing there were other ways to interface, but, in fact, the mouse buttons are the single most important user component in a laptop/noteboot/netbook. Asus is still a noob at notebook system design, I forgive them.
-the screen size is almost too small at 1024x600. Good thing the TMW client is so heavily optimized.
i use only keybord except for npc's
2] I'm still a noob at ANY MMO.
me too :)
3) dropped items: do other players not realize that I can't take the dropped items from their kills, at least I can't get it until they walk away? They yell at me for picking up drops, but they walked away from the drop and went off the screen!
Or is it more about a set time span for them to grab the drop and after that it goes public?
Or am I still doing that wrong? If so, truly sorry about that, but I have evidence that suggests I can't immediately take their monster drops.

there are several steps and time
drops are going to the player that got the biggest xp in the fight
there is a drop protection
and so on
id he-she doesn't pick it up the second has his-her chance to do
till there is no more drop protection

you can do it adding some code in one of the config file (look in forum you'l find it ;) )

Wishes:

-Shift - Clicking multiple inventory items when trading, buying, selling or storing/retrieving items. Less time in the buy/sell lines!

i'd love that too ! a multiple selecction like the ctrl to select several items to transfer from inventory to storage that would be great
and develop the right clic menu so that it is safer (drop and stock are too close imho a separation line would be good)

-Maybe there could be a banker in every town? Not a request, just a thought. And item storage, too.

there are :) in hurnscal on the house on the right (bottom) and in the desert town just entering in your right and on top

Regards
Last edited by Jumpy on 09 Sep 2009, 21:19, edited 3 times in total.
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
mmmmnatheclumsyone
Peon
Peon

Dallas wrote:I see you posting in other threads, don't do this, worry about this, we need pixels, codes, maps, I don't see you getting off your lazy ass and doing anything.. so how about you stfu.
Hi, Dallas, this thread was my second or third post. You stepped in and start almost flaming someone in public, but you could have sent that as a private message. :roll:
mmmmnatheclumsyone
Peon
Peon

Jumpy wrote:
Dislikes:
There is a comand to do like @agm to get in touch with any GM
and you have the abuse court or you can pm in forum
Excellent feedback!
i use only keybord except for npc's
I'm not able to type on the netbook, it has REALLY tiny keys, REALLY close together. The down side of a netbook, certainly, that and the screen resolution too.

there are several steps and time
drops are going to the player that got the biggest xp in the fight
there is a drop protection
and so on
id he-she doesn't pick it up the second has his-her chance to do
till there is no more drop protection
Hmm. I think I got that. Spelling is causing some confusion.
you can do it adding some code in one of the config file (look in forum you'l find it ;) )
Well, might it also be the version of the client, or the netbook having such low resolution?
there are :) in hurnscal on the house on the right (bottom) and in the desert town just entering in your right and on top
Oh! Pardon my noob-ness, I haven't found the banker in Hurnscald. Storage too? Hmm. I'm Blind.

Regards
Same to you!
mmmmnatheclumsyone
Peon
Peon

Booth wrote:There is a certain time span for the item to become able to pickup by the public when dropped from a monster.
I knew it had to be something like time, distance walked or both. Wait.... I'm not a crook because the game keeps me honest? lol! No, I always watched first. Too many players walked away from acorns and candy... so said to myself 'Well, if THEY won't pick it up, I will'. Sometimes I couldn't pick up the drop right away.
mightydefiant
Peon
Peon

Post by mightydefiant »

I can agree with you about people not taking their acorns, as some times walking along the path are five acorns spread out. And I say its up for grabs of they walk off the map, because, hey, you chose to walk away from it.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

mightydefiant wrote:I can agree with you about people not taking their acorns, as some times walking along the path are five acorns spread out. And I say its up for grabs of they walk off the map, because, hey, you chose to walk away from it.
Nom nom nom
ImageImageImage

Remember it's still pre-alpha, but we can always use some help!
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... he_project

... but i get ahead of myself... if you haven't viewed the wiki at all yet, please check it out!
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The command to whisper all GMs is @wgm not @agm.

Drop protection expires with time, or when the owner gets too far away, or leaves the map.

Older clients can't set screen resolution in-game. I don't know why we even had it there. Newer releases can change it in the client.

Newer client versions are more keyboard friendly, and the next release is planned to be even more so.

Most towns we do have have bankers and item storage.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

Press F1 to get more info also

:oops: Jax !! you're right ! ! (i never use that comand)

hi just a little up north when you are at the banker talk to the npc's ;) i am sure you'll find him :D

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

mmmmnatheclumsyone wrote:I'm Playing TMW part of the time on a netbook (Asus EeePC 900A):
-it has a sketchy touchpad which is not fun at all. The mouse buttons have already all but totally failed, so I'm stuck with tapping the touch pad.... and this maker of touchpad (not a Synaptics touchpad) hates to leave the pointer in one place between double taps. I've used this one touchpad with 2 different drivers, they both act the same and it is a common complaint.
mmmmnatheclumsyone wrote:I'm not able to type on the netbook, it has REALLY tiny keys, REALLY close together. The down side of a netbook, certainly, that and the screen resolution too.
Crap trackpad and crap keyboard? Forget about gaming on it if you ask me.
~Feline Monstrosity
mmmmnatheclumsyone
Peon
Peon

feline monstrosity wrote:Crap trackpad and crap keyboard? Forget about gaming on it if you ask me.
Sigh. It was because I got hooked that I installed tmw on the netbook. The shame of it all.

As for the netbooks current situation:
-It was a gift.
-Asus is still new at making complete systems and hasn't learned a few things:
* how saving 10 cents on a switch (or a dollar on the trackpad) can lead the troubles later on.
* they haven't learned that 4Gig solid state drives get filled up very quickly, even in Linux.
-Netbooks wouldn't be as attractive with a full sized keyboard,
mmmmnatheclumsyone
Peon
Peon

A few more wishes....
  • -Lotsa water between Hurnscald and Tulimshar. It could have lotsa new monsters in it, but I can't figure out if I can canoe on/row a boat on/swim in/walk on the water (nobody talks about boats for users). We have streams in caves, too. Could we at least go fishing on the shore line? No fishing poles.... Water makes for a good possibility for a 3D realm, too: go diving, explore shipwrecks, go to islands (continents?), explore underground caves that link to the wells in Tulimshar/desert oases. With 3-D, then there is flying.... cloud kingdoms are totally underrated.

-Lotsa new areas would be awesome too, but even that is asking a bit much. Hmmmm. Can one server pass a player to server number two? If possible, then server 2 might have another 1 or 2 towns different from current server. That could ease congestion on one server.

-Lotsa buildings in Tulimshar that do nothing for me... is it just me? They could be doing something, even if they only distract the noobs. Add stairwells up or down, as needed, then you have all new areas.

-Windows that are not bound as staying inside the main window (allow me to move chat outside the main window, etc).

-Suggesting a few more magic commands, you decide the level:
    • *Detect monster holdings: a thousand monsters in a given area, which one has the drop I want?

*Detect monster attack power: for the noobs, so they can duck and run from the furries.

*Block player name: some players just irritate you to no end.... this would prevent their character image from being visible in users client, and possibly block any communication from them, block trade, and if pvp is available, decide if pvp attacks should be blocked as well.

*Contextual magic command window could be handy: it only displays magic that works for my current level, or similar.