New 4144 official patch losing list of friends

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
BackAssward
Peon
Peon

New 4144 official patch losing list of friends

Post by BackAssward »

So, have you lost all your player friends lists?

Ok, I searched and can't find if anyone else found this issue. Firstly, the new 4144 patch installs to "\mana" not "\the mana world" as before.

Now, not a big deal, but the new patch also places a player's settings in "\.mana" not "\.tmw" in the user's settings folder, as it used to use "\.tmw".

So, if you want a solution, I can help, you a retrieved all your friends lists. If you can edit a txt or xml file, you can get them back.

In Vista the old location is "C:\Users\[windows username]\.tmw"
In Vista the new location is "C:\Users\[windows username]\.mana"
(the location should be similar in XP, but "documents and settings", not "users"]

What you are looking for is the config.xml

In \.tmw find the config.xml no you can't just copy it over to the \.mana folder, as there are new settings you will overwrite. Instead, open the \.tmw\config.xml in an editor (I use PSPad editor), scroll down to the bottom and find this section:

<list name="player">
<player>
<option name="name" value="[some name 1]"/>
<option name="relation" value="1"/>
</player>
<player>
<option name="name" value="[some name 2]"/>
<option name="relation" value="1"/>
</player>
</list>
</configuration>

now backup the "\.mana\config.xml" file, then edit it. Scroll down to the bottom where it says

<list name="player"/>

replace the <list name="player"/> with <list name="player">

then add back in all the entries. Make sure after them all, you have

</list>
</configuration>

at the end.

so that part looks like the original from "\.tmw\config.xml"

If you are not comfortable with trying this, please don't. But you can always roll back to the backup you made, or reinstall if you mess up. Worst case, if you reinstall, all other settings get rest back to default and no friends list (as it was before).

Good hunting.

I also, confirmed in XP it is "C:\Documents and Settings\[windows username]\.tmw"
and "C:\Documents and Settings\[windows user name]\.mana"
respectively.
CodyMartin
Peon
Peon

Re: New 4144 official patch losing list of friends

Post by CodyMartin »

BackAssward wrote: In \.tmw find the config.xml no you can't just copy it over to the \.mana folder, as there are new settings you will overwrite.
Yes, you can. The program is smart enough to add the missing settings. You can just copy the .tmw folder to .mana, then all your old settings are intact and the updates are not downloaded again.
BackAssward
Peon
Peon

Post by BackAssward »

I did copy all the folders over before your post, and just now tested your option, but two things:

1. The config.xml did not get all the new settings. Even after restarting, my text diff shows them different, not just changes, but missing lines.
2. Why did you not post a solution before me and, why did you have to criticize me for helping in the only solution I found, when you previously provided none?

Why come after the fact to criticize when you made no attempt to help in the first place?
CodyMartin
Peon
Peon

Post by CodyMartin »

BackAssward wrote:1. The config.xml did not get all the new settings. Even after restarting, my text diff shows them different, not just changes, but missing lines.
2. Why did you not post a solution before me and, why did you have to criticize me for helping in the only solution I found, when you previously provided none?
1. The missing settings get not added at once, but get added when needed.
2. I did not criticize you, I just gave you information.
BackAssward
Peon
Peon

Post by BackAssward »

CodyMartin wrote:
BackAssward wrote:1. The config.xml did not get all the new settings. Even after restarting, my text diff shows them different, not just changes, but missing lines.
1. The missing settings get not added at once, but get added when needed.
2. I did not criticize you, I just gave you information.
Why then did I have to post a solution to a problem, if you knew better? Yes you found problem with my solution.

Why is it I try to help but get responses of people who know better but didn't try to help them selves?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

BackAssward wrote:Why come after the fact to criticize when you made no attempt to help in the first place?
You don't take constructive criticism very well, don't you? He posted a very useful addition to your post and you should be thankful for this.

Regarding the missing entries in the config file: Over the years variouse config options were added and removed from the game. But removed config options stay in the config file. So an old config file will have some superfluous keys.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
BackAssward
Peon
Peon

Post by BackAssward »

Crush wrote:
BackAssward wrote:Why come after the fact to criticize when you made no attempt to help in the first place?
You don't take constructive criticism very well, don't you? He posted a very useful addition to your post and you should be thankful for this.

Regarding the missing entries in the config file: Over the years variouse config options were added and removed from the game. But removed config options stay in the config file. So an old config file will have some superfluous keys.
You missed the point, my diff showed new keys not added when copying the old to the new. I re-did the diff to make sure.

Either way, it is not constructive to come after the fact and say they know better. If he knew better, he should have posted before, not wait for another then criticise after the fact.

I attempted to add value, he attempted to speak as he knew better, and was partially right but not fully. But he could have done a post himself, not criticize mine.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

BackAssward wrote:You missed the point, my diff showed new keys not added when copying the old to the new. I re-did the diff to make sure.
Like?
jcdvsrbld
Peon
Peon

Post by jcdvsrbld »

i know this thread is a bit dated, but on my windows 7, the patch saves NONE of my settings, including friends lists and outfits. :( i'm thinking its just a problem with the windows exe version of the patch, not in the code itself.
"quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If you're moving the settings directory around, you should know it'll be .mana not .tmw .