Kage's Challenge

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Kage's Challenge

Post by i »

Yesterday on IRC Kage ask me for small pixelart task. This topic is for him. Everyone is allowed to put critics and comments here, but only Kage may submit any pixel artwork here.

Kage: And remember about correct perspective! ;)
Kages Challenge.png
Kages Challenge.png (101.39 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Kage's Challenge

Post by Kage »

ok here is my first attempt... sorry its not on a transparent background, I am on a school's computer and it won't let me install gimp so I am stuck with paint... which doesn't do alpha channels...

BTW... if anyone I mean... ANYONE lols at this... nothing on this planet will protect you from my wrath.
Attachments
myfirstattempt.PNG
myfirstattempt.PNG (467 Bytes) Viewed 3117 times
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
TheBasilisk
Novice
Novice

Post by TheBasilisk »

Kage wrote:ok here is my first attempt... sorry its not on a transparent background, I am on a school's computer and it won't let me install gimp so I am stuck with paint... which doesn't do alpha channels...

BTW... if anyone I mean... ANYONE lols at this... nothing on this planet will protect you from my wrath.
If that's all you can do at school, I'd wait until I get home if I were you :P
No offense, I know what paint is like and probably couldn't have done better myself given your resources.
Hissssss...
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Kage wrote:ok here is my first attempt... sorry its not on a transparent background, I am on a school's computer and it won't let me install gimp so I am stuck with paint... which doesn't do alpha channels...

Use the WEB Luke...I mean Kage ;)

Here is simple solution for your lack of transparency channel: http://www.pixlr.com/

Nice editor via WWW ;>
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I.... can you give me the pallet for grasslands?
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Here is the base... the pole... grass and signs to come later
Attachments
Poleandgrass.png
Poleandgrass.png (964 Bytes) Viewed 3024 times
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Kage wrote:Here is the base... the pole... grass and signs to come later
** Try to use may be one or two additional colors as color ramp, that will give more deepness (darker brown on the right side)
** remove the grass for now (or use a different layer)
** nice work with the randomization of the pixels, but work a little with texture (make it look like wood)

But congratulations, actually you are using all the basic principles of TMW pixel art (may be you read the tutorials ;) )
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

AxlTrozz wrote:
Kage wrote:Here is the base... the pole... grass and signs to come later
** Try to use may be one or two additional colors as color ramp, that will give more deepness (darker brown on the right side)
** remove the grass for now (or use a different layer)
** nice work with the randomization of the pixels, but work a little with texture (make it look like wood)

But congratulations, actually you are using all the basic principles of TMW pixel art (may be you read the tutorials ;) )
For the colors I indexed i's wood set, and reduced the colors to 10, even though he used over 2000 unique colors. I used this as my palette for making the pole.

I am using different layer for the grass.

I am not sure how to do wood texture. I tried to add a wooden touch to the top right of the pole. Where the wood it self has a imperfection. Do you mean do more things like that?
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I worked on the sign... I am going to have to have help with the grass... I don't even know where to start.
Attachments
PoleALL.png
PoleALL.png (994 Bytes) Viewed 2871 times
PoleSENW.png
PoleSENW.png (843 Bytes) Viewed 2867 times
PoleSWNE.png
PoleSWNE.png (801 Bytes) Viewed 2864 times
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser