Prototype #001: Wizzy Hat [NEW]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

hal9000
Novice
Novice

Prototype #001: Wizzy Hat [NEW]

Post by hal9000 »

Presentation:

I'm Francesco Miglietta, an italian organic-chemical researcher with the hobby of rpg/mmorpg; I love games like Pagan Ultima 8, (and in general the Ultima Saga), and I want to contribute to this great game as graphical developer/ideas suggester.

Prototype 001: Wizzy Hat

I have noticed that in the game there are few wizard hats with a good magic-looking appearance: the in-game hat that most fits mage silkrobe is the low level, over-used fancy-hat. So I think that would be great if the game will get a real wizard hat obtainable at medium/high level, (50/70 level of difficulty).

Well, I've started editing the fancy-hat making it leaner, slimmer; then I've tuned the hat colour with a dark gradation, (that fits the black silkrobe), and the band colour with a gold gradation, (that fits the sikrobe waistband). Finishing I've modified some gradients to make them more nuanced.

Francesco
Attachments
/graphics/sprites
/graphics/sprites
head-witchhat.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
/graphics/items
/graphics/items
armor-head-witchhat.png (402 Bytes) Viewed 3882 times
Comparison
Comparison
witchhat-mirror.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
Last edited by hal9000 on 19 Dec 2009, 18:50, edited 3 times in total.
TheBasilisk
Novice
Novice

Re: Prototype 001 + Presentation

Post by TheBasilisk »

Interesting... But I recommend that you make it look a little more different from the fancy hat, otherwise everyone will argue that it should be recolored.

I think the magic bonus should be a bit bigger (6-8 maybe), and it should be a (temporary?) quest item.

Also a comment that will be coming is "We have too many hats atm, do shoes/gloves/pants/shirt instead.".
Hissssss...
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

theBasilisk wrote:otherwise everyone will argue that it should be recolored
No I think that if an item looks good it's a mistake changing it only 'couse "it can be recoloured", this is the typical wizard hat..hope I shouldn't have to create some stupid decoration only to make the file be accepted..if it so maybe it woul be smarter to change the fancy hat skin that could be completely different.

In the future I would create also some completely original stuff but if there are some alredy existing items that needs some optimization I'll post it.
theBasilisk wrote:We have too many hats atm, do shoes/gloves/pants/shirt instead.
We have 37 hats.
We have 14 rpg-looking hats.
We have 2 rpg-looking, wizard related hats.
We have 1 rpg-looking, wizard related hat with wizard stats, (the circlet).

I don't think we have a good choice of hats.
theBasilisk wrote:and it should be a quest item
Yes sure, I've suggested an item background but the witch hat can be also a good quest reward and the stats can be tuned as we wish. Thank you for the reply Basilisk ;).
Last edited by hal9000 on 19 Dec 2009, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
TheBasilisk
Novice
Novice

Post by TheBasilisk »

No problem, and here comes the next :P

About the hat numbers, rather than just showing them you should compare them to pants, tops, gloves and boots. ;) Then you'd see what I (and, probably, the future posters) mean.

About the recoloring, it still looks almost exactly the same, especially when not looking at it blown up 16x, which is why I think that most devs who will post here will say the same thing (it's not my opinion, I quite like it actually :) )

And I think that concludes my topic-hogging. :P
Hissssss...
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

What future posters?

Seriously, this is a recolour. If you don't know then I will tell you that we HATE HATE HATE recolours.

Mhm.

Now, about the idea of the Wizard hat; I've been wanting one for motherfuckin' ages. I think I'll make one now.
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

ok probably people don't read..

1] I didn't say "I've made a new Duck hat"..I've said: "I've edited the fancy-dirty-hat making it MORE SIMILAR to a wizzy hat" is it ok?..have you understood this?..well..

2] In this game there are:

-RECOLOURED SLIMES (lots of): ?!?!?!?!? --> unrealistic;
-RECOLOURED SCORPIONS: !?!??!!!??!?! --> unrealistic;
-RECOLOURED PLANTS/LEAFS: coloured with PRIMARY UNREALISTIC COLOURS;
-RECOLOURED SNAKES: same unrealistic colours;
-RECOLOURED WISP/POLTERGEISTE/SPECTRE: same..

NOW: why I can't wear a black wizzy rpg-realistic hat? it's typical for the dress stuff to have different colour..TYPICAL..what do you have in your wardrobe?!?!?! just 1 T-shirt??? boh..

I want the opinion of a developer about it..
Last edited by hal9000 on 19 Dec 2009, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

hal9000 wrote:ok probably people don't read..

1] I didn't say "I've made a new Duck hat"..I've said: "I've edited the fancy-dirty-hat making it MORE SIMILAR to a wizzy hat" is it ok?..have you understood this?..well..

NOW: why I can't wear a black wizzy rpg-realistic hat? it's typical for the dress stuff to have different colour..TYPICAL..what do you have in your wardrobe?!?!?! just 1 T-shirt??? boh..

I like the idea, but instead of recoloring it manually, we could just have one image and have a dye string for both the fancy hat and the wizard hat.

Also, I agree, there should be a quest to get the item, so a quest idea needs to come up with, and a script be written.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

I'll risk a minor dev point of view here, no flames intended:

In a philosophical point of view, I'd say:
If someone complains about something missing, then he/she can try to do it him/herself. This is the only way to know it's not that easy, and it's time taking.
It explains a lot why new artists often try the easiest thing they can do, namely adding a new hat. Even I must say that I regret a few more armors, boots, pants, weapons, ..., but what I can say is that philosophy here is:
- Never flame someone who is doing its best. Be positive.

So the first question is:
:arrow: Are you willing to do your best on this hat, Hal9000 ;) ?

In a pragmatic point of view, a new hat doesn't make so much difference for me.
If I can have a black hat, then great. Even if there are 999 other possibilities out there. Someone will always want to wear a new hat when it's out.

Now, in a strategic point of view, I completely agree with Kage:
Kage wrote:I like the idea, but instead of recoloring it manually, we could just have one image and have a dye string for both the fancy hat and the wizard hat.

Also, I agree, there should be a quest to get the item, so a quest idea needs to come up with, and a script be written.
:arrow: Yes, could you get some work on a recolorable version of the fancy hat, hal9000? It wouldn't allow only one new hat, but plenty of.

Secondly, if you're willing to push some more time on TMW pixel art, and ready to help positively, please have a look at the mini pixel challenge out there.

Thanks for reading.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

hal9000 wrote:ok probably people don't read..

Pure recolors can be done programatically by the client (we prefer that route to keep updates small). Your hat isn't a pure recolor, though. It's rather close.
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

kage wrote:we could just have one image and have a dye string for the wizard hat
yeah yeah sure..my idea was only propositional 'couse we have dyable chests, gloves, boots and no dyable hats..so with just one image we can have all the hats suite..I think it's just a saturation matter to make the base..isn't it?..

this is important for variety purpose 'couse the head is the first part you notice when you watch a pg..and i can make lot's of screens where there are only pg wearing fancy hats, antennas, or carnival's mask..it looks very repetitive..
Bertram wrote:If someone complains about something missing, then he/she can try to do it him/herself. This is the only way to know it's not that easy, and it's time taking..it explains a lot why new artists often try the easiest thing they can do, namely adding a new hat...never flame someone who is doing its best. Be positive.

Are you willing to do your best on this hat, Hal9000 ;) ?
Look I'm not so noob with pixel art..I know that I just worked some minutes for this work with gimp..yeah surely I can make it better ;) (I haven't lots of time 'couse of my university)..
..yes you'll have the whole suite :)

@ Jaxad: I agree..
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Aren't the bandanas recolorable?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:Aren't the bandanas recolorable?
Both standard headband and desert hat are recolorable.
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

ok here there is another version of the more-wizzy-hat..

I've some questions for Jaxad and Crush: to make the dyable version I guess I have to use particular colors..isn't it? tell me about the values..

Francesco
Attachments
wizzy-hat.png
wizzy-hat.png (493 Bytes) Viewed 3689 times
wizzy-hat-mirror1.png
wizzy-hat-mirror1.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
wizzy-hat-mirror2.png
wizzy-hat-mirror2.png (40 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

:D Keep it up! I'm sure this will be ready in no time with Crush and Jaxad's help.

Also, since you're not a noob ;) ,if you're interested, I wondered if you could give a hand to Kage with skill icons. (He's desperate about this, and I'm, too.):
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 625#p67625

I guess that's no big deal, and I hope it won't break what's left of your free time.

Best regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Dyeable palettes are those with colors where all RGB channels are either 0 or equal. Or in the HSV color model: Either 0% saturation or 100% saturation and hue dividable by 60.

The volume decides which color of the color ramp of the applied dye is used.

You can read the complete documentation with all the technical details on http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Image_dyeing

In the most basic case where you don't want your item to have more than one changeable color you can just convert the parts which are supposed to be recolored to grayscale.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.