Hello is Mana Source ready for development yet?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Kane
Peon
Peon

Post by Kane »

I was sent here from another site using mirage engine and eclipse. I'm new to programming though I have learned a crap load in the last 2 weeks. Though having to code 1 billion lines to use something simple is sort of ridicules in vb6.

I already have a team and site setup we are looking into make a 2D mmorpg. Of course were not even planning or wanting to make money we have 2 dedicated servers both CentOS and Windows 2003 in a DC in the states.

Right now were working on finding a great engine for us. So far its been the Mirage engine of course overhauled by eclipse but yeah its really not working well for us. We looking for something in C++ or C# something new heck even java would be to die for.

I heard though you could start working on a game but you don't have any server code or something yet so no one can run a functional game. I know I heard something about eAthena something I ran for years in the past.

Anyways advice suggestions anything would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Kane
[Kane_Hart] on FreenNode and TMW IRC.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Hello is Mana Source ready for development yet?

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Yes. Mana(serv) is ready for development. Invertika has been using it for a months.
Kane
Peon
Peon

Post by Kane »

Really where can I grab it and is there more hidden forums I feel like there could be a lot more to read in source questions and such.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Jaxad wrote:Yes. Mana(serv) is ready for development. Invertika has been using it for a months.
You can't call Invertika productive yet. Seeseekey messages me every other day about some problem with ManaServ which bothers him (And I am very grateful for that - his input is really helping us find and fix issues). In my opinion Manaserv has still a long way to go before it can be used productively. Currently eAthena is still the superior product.

But what to choose now depends on the timeframe you are planning in. When you want your server to be online and full of players in a month you should go for eAthena. But when you want to build your game carefully and with long planning (when you are planning in years, not in weeks) I would rather suggest you to go for ManaServ. Especially because it gives you the opportunity to have influence on the development of ManaServ so that you can shape it to your needs through providing feedback and comments.

Really where can I grab it and is there more hidden forums I feel like there could be a lot more to read in source questions and such.
The official homepage is http://manasource.org
There are no precompiled binaries yet. You have to install the version control system Git to download the sourcecode and then you have to compile it yourself.

There is also our mailing list [Link] and our IRC channel #mana on irc.freenode.net where we will help you with all the problems you will encounter.

There is no manasource forum. Our head developer hates forums for some reason.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kane
Peon
Peon

Post by Kane »

Thanks Crush. I would like to so called have a alpha server months down the road maybe even sooner but I don't expect to have a full fledged product for example on the market. Plus that would just be bad for business anyways. You gotta slowly build your way into the world not throw it out there and be like done.

Anyways the eAthena is there a core project for that? I mean it sounds like it be heavily modified to run with Mana World? I saw nothing on how to get it working with the eAthena server and the Mana World Client.

Thanks,
Kane