Prototype #002: Evergreen Trees [NEW]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Prototype 002

Post by Crush »

Doulos wrote: * Since I am to assume these are pine trees, the bases (trunks) should be rounder. Pines are notoriously round. These bases look more like oak trees, etc.
The mana world is not the real world. We don't have to (and in fact should not) copy existing fauna and flora 1:1.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
LtCol KILGORE
Peon
Peon

Post by LtCol KILGORE »

Crush wrote:
Doulos wrote:Since I am to assume these are pine trees, the bases (trunks) should be rounder.
Pines are notoriously round.
The mana world is not the real world.
We don't have to (and in fact should not) copy existing fauna and flora 1:1.
So true Crush : we all love this "fantasy extravaganza world", and ... mmm ... "forests" (???) in particular !

So please keep ... mmm ..."them" (???) in that way !

~ Doulos-buddy : take great care when using words having a French meaning : what you said might sound funny, even to Canadians :lol:
CHaRLie DoN'T SuRF !
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Crush wrote:
Doulos wrote: * Since I am to assume these are pine trees, the bases (trunks) should be rounder. Pines are notoriously round. These bases look more like oak trees, etc.
The mana world is not the real world. We don't have to (and in fact should not) copy existing fauna and flora 1:1.
even so lets go back to angle.
something dose not appear to be right, yes the trunk is right but is that all that matters?

i circled in red where i think it looks wrong. I also gave it a horizon reference.

Edit: also it maybe that im seeing to much of the trunk itself so it looks as thogh the trunk wanted to buldge out.
Attachments
tree???
tree???
trunk angle.PNG (8.37 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

@ meway:

lol I only add the snow layer to the basic forest tree, I didn't touch that part; I don't know who made the forest tileset of the game but I don't think the shadow is wrong..those trees are still used largely in the game and they fits perfectly in the enviroment..

..another thing..look that I have still to add the shadow to the snow..but the shadow is the last matter, first I have to know if the tree representation looks good..

Francesco

edit: oh..and..about the shodows-map you add..this is a generic shadows-map but you have to adapt it to the object for example in a tree with jagged leaves in that part there's more inherent contrast..it's not a squared stone..
Last edited by hal9000 on 19 Dec 2009, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Meh, I could design different flora and fauna with scientific names, relations, habits and so on. I'm good at that kind of thing (I think).

But can I bothered? Only if you really want it, Crush.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

poison_ivy wrote:But can I bothered? Only if you really want it, Crush.
Either help TMW or don't, but don't expect people to beg you.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I didn't mean that! I meant I won't bother designing unique wildlife for TMW if you're not interested.

When I said "really want it", I meant "truthfully want it," not "want it very much." ;)
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

poison_ivy wrote:I didn't mean that! I meant I won't bother designing unique wildlife for TMW if you're not interested.

When I said "really want it", I meant "truthfully want it," not "want it very much." ;)
I think what Crush meant was your free to do it if you want.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I think what I meant was, I won't bother if you're not interested, because it will take up hours of my precious time. I would enjoy doing it, but if you ain't gonna use it I could be doing better things.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

poison_ivy wrote:I think what I meant was, I won't bother if you're not interested, because it will take up hours of my precious time. I would enjoy doing it, but if you ain't gonna use it I could be doing better things.
We won't know if it's usable until you do it.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I'm on it.
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

arbre.png
arbre.png (20.72 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Looks like someone hung a white garland into the tree, not like real snow.
  • NOT a game master

lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

lien wrote:
arbre.png
yes you are right it does not look like snow
hal9000
Novice
Novice

Post by hal9000 »

Ok here it is my version of the snow pine ;)

if I compare my 2 works I think that the snow-pine looks better than the snow-oak: yes i've used the same style but the pine itself give me a "more-winter-idea"..this doesn't mean that we can't use the snow-oak but I guess that the pine has to be the main one..

now some information about the file; I've started from the pine posted by Jaxad:

- resolution modified to 64x96, (the same of the original oak-tree);
- desaturation and colder tone to best fit, (visually), into the snow-area;
- snow ;)..;
- shadows.

hope you'll enjoy..

Francesco
Attachments
abete2.png
abete2.png (12.08 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
snow-tree-enviroment3.png
snow-tree-enviroment3.png (39.58 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Last edited by hal9000 on 19 Dec 2009, 18:49, edited 3 times in total.