[DIS] Soundscape - CR1 - saturn

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

saturn
Novice
Novice

Re: [DIS] Soundscape - CR1 - saturn

Post by saturn »

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemu ... ord1.2.mp3

Second version. The first minute no longer feels /as/ repetitive as before. If I use a better harpsichord sample, make strings double the slower harmonies, and have a less percussive instrument play the melody, turning the volume of the harpsichord down, it shouldn't sound as intrusive (thats what I did for the other sketch).
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

saturn wrote:I can make a more upbeat part, and will continue that piece. In the meanwhile, here is a more "cheery" academy-type song:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemu ... ord1.1.mp3

I think it has the right feel for an academy piece, but it is too short and repetitive right now. I will work on that, and get back with a second version.
I like it :)

EDIT: the second version is just as good :)
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

This song cannot be the universal main theme for the academy, but rather for some prestigeous part of it like a study hall or such. Why? Imagine being stuck with this song on infinite loop for the first two or so hours of gameplay if you choose to go through with the academy training program.
This message used to be meaningful.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Rotonen wrote:This song cannot be the universal main theme for the academy, but rather for some prestigeous part of it like a study hall or such. Why? Imagine being stuck with this song on infinite loop for the first two or so hours of gameplay if you choose to go through with the academy training program.
it shouldn't take "two or so hours" to do a simple tutorial.

At most ?15 minutes?
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Actually, you might be correct. What I'm thinking is all the times you'll be coming back to the academy due to quest x, in which case you have left the academy in-between anyway, so this concern would indeed be a non-issue then.

Since the actual playable content of CR1 is not even sketched yet, I'll be retracting my previous comment about the usage of this piece.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I entirely agree that it is not suitable for a place where you will hear the music a lot. It seems hard to make an upbeat piece that is! But I will continue furthering those 2 sketches, and writing new ones. The first sketch up there, if it were a bit longer, would work better looping many times, but it is too gloomy for the main academy. I'll see what I come up with this weekend.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

might I give it a try?
sorry if your working on something else but you can use this. Also I Can probably provide a midi If you want to give it a tune up. http://meway.webs.com/tutorial%20misc.ogg

once again sorry I know this is read only and that saturn is in-charge of it.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

If you can post here, it is obviously not read only for you. All contribution is welcome here.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

It has a final fantasy feel to it, imo, very nice. It's only a theme right now, if you expand and develop it, it could turn into a really nice piece. Right now the "theme" repeats too much.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Actually to be exact final fantasy 8 garden is what inspired me. Ok I will continue working on it.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

My last, final exam is in 1.5 hours. This weekend, I'll post revisions to those 2 sketches, and make a third.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Maybe the harpiscord music by saturn for the main lobby of the academy and a more cheerful and playful music for the tutorial rooms themself?

By the way, I believe 1-2 hours are a quite good estimate for the academy portion of the game because I would like to have more in the place than just "Press up down left right to walk you are finished goodbye".

The tune by Meway would rather fit for an outdoor scenario, in my opinion.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I was thinking a very very large building structure. mana world lacks huge buildings with nice structure inside. for example.Image
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

We would need to know more about the types of area's will be in the academy for that. I have been away on vacation, and so making music will be slow, sorry. Depending on what all eventually will be in the academy, the harpsichord song could work for a specific area as mentioned before. Well, before break is over you will hear some new samples, and updated ones from me.

meway: have you worked at all on your theme? It was quite nice.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I did but my computer crashed and I had to switch to Linux I was on windows (fail) so I lost some of my work but I remember most of the midi file and will attempt to recreate it.