some suggestions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

drboom
Peon
Peon

some suggestions

Post by drboom »

Hi, I can't play this game without making some suggestions:
*The players should all have colored belts (like karate belts)showing the level:
0->5 white belt;+5->10 green belt;+10->15 yellow...
or smth like that
*it would be nice to be an option in setup like detail level(low,high) so the slower computers can choose for less detail level and better speed.
Btw: what's with the lonelines from Mana World? only the maggots are in the town and the rest are in the cave(the cave is full)plz do smth!!!!!!
DeathPeakRiser
Peon
Peon

Post by DeathPeakRiser »

Yeah I know what you're talking about. All of a sudden the giant maggots, scorpions, and even the green slimes just started to stop respawning, and now all thats left are those small maggots you spoke of and the very-high lv'ed monsters that could kill alot of players in one hit (easily ambushed). I can't seem to even level up anymore with this happening.

As for the colored belts, I don't recall anything like that happening in any other mmorpg, that does sound interesting. But a little tideous to me, and I can't seem to see the point really other than nostaliga (no offense). And quality setting in a sprite mmorpg... I don't think the quality would acutally bother the speed when there is no quality to set from sprites (Well, i've never seen it) but from the your internet connection that actually sets the speed. Also i've only seen the quality settings on 3ds games on our computer. But if it does help connection then i'm all for faster speed.
drboom
Peon
Peon

Post by drboom »

DeathPeakRiser wrote: As for the colored belts, I don't recall anything like that happening in any other mmorpg, that does sound interesting. But a little tideous to me, and I can't seem to see the point really other than nostaliga (no offense).
I thougth there are too much players asking "lvl?" and would be much easier to find out and to not waste time asking and answering(plus I think it would look cool!!! :P ),of course I don't know if it is possibile to implement that...
DarknessIncludes
Peon
Peon

Post by DarknessIncludes »

i think the belt idea would be "nice" as there currently appears to be no way of telling anything about any character without asking straight up. however it would just be for fun pretty much as it would serve no real purpose, lol.

yea i noticed the lack of decent monsters. only thing left is grubs and super highlevel monsters. earlier when i was playin there wasa lot, now theres just the grubs and such.

as for quality, it would be nice to just make the game fast. i noticed png format images were used and yes larger images do take up memory which can slow down a pc. a nice mix of GIF and JPEG and PNG images could potentially speed up the game considerably on slower computers. im on a pc with 533MHz AMD processor with 128MB ram and a 2Mbps connection and the game sometimes gets REALLLLY slow and only gets faster after i restart it which suggests a memory/cpu leak?
drboom
Peon
Peon

Post by drboom »

Until there was this "custom cursor" thing I couldn't play because my computer is toooo slow(If i would tell you it's half speed and ram your computer would you belive me? :oops: ) and the mouse cursor was "lazy".Anyway I think by reduceing the resolution,nr of colors,etc the game would be faster(not the connection speed of course)
DeathPeakRiser
Peon
Peon

Post by DeathPeakRiser »

Well thanks to darkness, now I know better. I had no idea that could be happening on a computer like that.
But still a colored belt that shows your level still seems like that it should be more of an actual equipment if it was to happen (rather not get into detail). But if it makes tmw more unique then I guess it should happen. :roll:

edit:
Well it looks like the whole monster problem is back to normal.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I sincerely don't like the idea of having colored belts, because it limits customization: let's say you want to have a player which wears only black equipment, you won't be all black until you reach very high levels. If is it really necessary to know other players infos, we can have a window show up when you request infos from a player telling you the level, his description and what else...

I think that PNG, JPEG and GIF will take the same space once loaded in memory, the difference is only in space occupied on disk. So using JPEG will only result in a loss of quality, not bringing any improvement in speed or memory usage. The connection is not involved in game speed of course, maybe it could cause lag, but not slowing down the game, just look at fps to know how "fast" you're running TMW. Restarting the client helps? TMW contains memory leaks for sure, we're constantly trying to fix them, so don't worry. It's just a matter of time.

As a side note, the current CVS provides some OpenGL optimizations by Doener. We noticed an increase of fps of 20%-100%, so maybe you want to check it out.

About weird monster spawning, this is caused by some server bugs, it just needs to be rebooted every once in a while, just report strange behaviours here or better in our IRC channel.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

belts = not a good idea, if you ask me. if you can't guess the level from the damage someone does when fighting, a (bad) workaround would be a simple autoresponder reacting to the string "lvl". or to enable the "@who"/"@stat"/whats-its-name command for normal users in eathena (the one showing all player's stats).
Degraine
Peon
Peon

Post by Degraine »

There's always the WoW approach: selecting a player shows you their HP/MP and level. CoH even allowed you to view other players' powers lists if you so desred. That might be necessary if the job system goes more freeform than a traditional class system.
AndyG314
Peon
Peon

maby not belts but...

Post by AndyG314 »

I like this idea in general, but not the belt spacificly.

Once people's equptment shows it will be easer to tell who is higher level (better equptmen ~ higher level, not alwasy but it at least gives a hint).

Perhaps special items could be warn at an option...