CONCENTRATION THREAD - Tulimshar, phase 1

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Mkael
Peon
Peon

Post by Mkael »

Nomad sketches:
http://origin.defines.us/concepts/nomad.jpg
Right one is on a mount of some kind.

A quick creature sketch, will work on it and things like that later too:
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Just some links of nice architecture that could be used as a reference:

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I really like that sword and that mount. For the people that haven't been around that long and haven't read the old docs: The strongest swordsmanship skills and swords would come from this region and hence this would be the kingdom, whose strenght would always have laid in its legendary swordmen.

Not sure about the glasses: they look kinda modern. Also the clothing is a bit too Peruvian. (Resembles the traditional outfits of Southern American mountain indians, doesn't it?)
This message used to be meaningful.
Mkael
Peon
Peon

Post by Mkael »

Rotonen wrote:
I really like that sword and that mount. For the people that haven't been around that long and haven't read the old docs: The strongest swordsmanship skills and swords would come from this region and hence this would be the kingdom, whose strenght would always have laid in its legendary swordmen.

Not sure about the glasses: they look kinda modern. Also the clothing is a bit too Peruvian. (Resembles the traditional outfits of Southern American mountain indians, doesn't it?)
Here's another pic of the Nomad's sword and a field bottle. I'll add some other relevant things later + some new sword/cleaver/axe/dagger models.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

good job Mkael. :}
I think those concept arts are 100% accurate. Especialy sword design. Something just amazing. I started make nomads terain tileset yesterday. a little preview:

godnight. it's 00:13 CEST now. only 6 hours of sleep left.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

I sincerely like everything in Mkael's nomads concept art. They have their nice particular style. We don't have to go for real nomads, we can just adopt our style so I guess the clothes could fit without problems, well that's my opinion at least.
The sword and field bottle are wonderful, I'd really like to pixelate them, but I'm sure some other pixel artist could do a better job. Everyone feel free to give it a try.

iru: I've already seen most of the tiles, but I like the sand, the small rock and the columns (trunks?). I think sand could use more variation, maybe something like small dunes, some vegetation, more rocks or whatever else you can think of. I know you're working on the tents, Mkael should be working on some concept art of them, maybe you'd want to wait for it.

Anyway I'm glad to see summer's holidays are over and everyone is back to work with very nice results :D Go on this way people.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Thumbs up on everything!

Irukard: Really good all around, the only potential issue is that the perspective at the base of the trees is side-on, rather than from an upward "45?" angle. The pillars/statues are great, in fact I would go so far as to say they may well be the equal of professional nintendo art.

The trees would be too, save for that perspective issue I mentioned - you can fix it by having some roots stretch out from the base point at an angle.

The "highlight the facing edge" trick is a large part of what makes those pillars look good. You've learnt it well - do keep using it. :)

Mkael: Nice work on that line art, there. You have a good eye for creature shaping and costuming, and I think your style fits a game like this very, very well.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Jetryl wrote:Thumbs up on everything!
Irukard: Really good all around, the only potential issue is that the perspective at the base of the trees is side-on, rather than from an upward "45?" angle. The pillars/statues are great, in fact I would go so far as to say they may well be the equal of professional nintendo art.
I'll try to impove that. thnx for hints ;P

EDIT: I uploaded to tiles tent concept art. It's out of style, a bitt odd, and too blured in some places. I used dynamic lightening, so shaders can look a bit strange.
and here is my question: Are shape and size fit to game?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

i wrote:.Are shape and size fit to game?
Well it'd be better if we had a set of tiles, out of which we could build a tent of any size, instead of a "tent object". The same applies to everything: if we have interjunctionable tiles, we can build more with less.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

In real life tents aren't really extendable. The smaller tent shown in I's tileset wouldn't make sense if it got much bigger. The structure wouldn't be believable. Consider the differing structures of the biggest tents you've ever seen, circus bigtops, medium sized ones like I's, and the smallest, camping tents. When the size is changed too much the whole structure changes.

P.S.- When you highlight the facing edge, you're making the light source, the player's view, and the object in a straight line. Therefore... shouldn't there be no visible shadow because it's behind the object?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm talking about constructing a more complex tent out of the same building blocks, for example an octagonial ceremonial tent.. :roll:

And that applies to everything we have, for example the desert cliffs that are in use at the moment aren't really interjunctionable and a person cannot be very creative with them. But I agree, the post shouldn've been directed at the tent, it was a bad example. This has been a long and exhausting day for me.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Sorry if i made that comment seem negative, yours was a very good tip but just not on the tent. i agree that everything (else) should be tilable/extendable.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Here are some tent concept art by Mkael again:

http://origin.defines.us/concepts/nomadTent1.jpg

http://origin.defines.us/concepts/nomadTent2.jpg

I sincerely like a lot the first one, even if someone told it looks a bit orc-ish and wow-ish.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

If those supporting wooden posts around the sides were made a lot longer and the cloth still draped to the top of them, it might give a very cool, dramatic look.
Mkael
Peon
Peon

Post by Mkael »

Ultim wrote:If those supporting wooden posts around the sides were made a lot longer and the cloth still draped to the top of them, it might give a very cool, dramatic look.
I'll try this later.