Map backgrounds (was: Death world again)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Map backgrounds (was: Death world again)

Post by Crush »

I just added support for background images. The star graphic in the following image is just a quick&dirty proof of concept. But they are actually 4 layers of stars which scroll parallax when the screen scrolls. This already looks pretty impressive, in my opinion. It would look even better when using better star images.
Attachments
Mana_Screenshot_2.png
Mana_Screenshot_2.png (115.95 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Death world again [WIP]

Post by Crush »

Here I used some astronomy pictures from http://apod.nasa.gov as layer graphics. Looks even more impressive when seen in motion. Framerate is stable:
Mana_Screenshot_3.png
Mana_Screenshot_3.png (637.6 KiB) Viewed 4312 times
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Customdata to see it live (uses two similar but different pictures for the 2nd and 3rd layer due to copyright reasons)
Attachments
botcheck_stary.zip
(5.77 MiB) Downloaded 101 times
  • NOT a game master

Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

It needs to be darkened a bit with more of a bluish hue than red (this will make it push back rather than forward visually)http://forums.themanaworld.org/download ... hp?id=4873

Does it more slower than the foreground (multiplane)
Pixel Battalion
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

wow that's pretty awesome crush I did not think it was possible.
Should i create a bigger star layout?

Edit: you think we could put a sand like image below the water, while the water is moving?

I thank it would be awesome because nobody's perspective of it will be the same

would require some alpha to the water.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

meway wrote:wow that's pretty awesome crush I did not think it was possible.
Should i create a bigger star layout?

Edit: you think we could put a sand like image below the water, while the water is moving?

I thank it would be awesome because nobody's perspective of it will be the same

would require some alpha to the water.
This feature was just added... we can't use it yet because it won't work on older clients, but we can use it in CR1... if people agree and we can find a suited location for it.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Len wrote:It needs to be darkened a bit with more of a bluish hue than red (this will make it push back rather than forward visually)http://forums.themanaworld.org/download ... hp?id=4873
This is just a proof of technology. This example is completely over the top and I don't intent it to be used seriously.
Does it more slower than the foreground (multiplane)
Sure. The backgrounds have all abilities the forgrounds (overlays) have too, including parallax scrolling, optional fit-to-screen and self-movement. all independent from the others.
This feature was just added... we can't use it yet because it won't work on older clients
And that's the caveat.

Background images are only visible where the map has no or transparent tiles. This is something we avoid at all cost in the maps for the current client, because without a background image the existing clients will show ugly graphic bugs in its place.

We can only start to use backgrounds after we dropped support for the current 0.0.29.1 client.

But... there is a little trick we could abuse. 0.0.29.1 pulls its updates from resource2.txt, the current git pulls a file named resources.xml. We could put an update without backgrounds into resource2.txt and another versions with backgrounds into resources.xml.
but we can use it in CR1... if people agree and we can find a suited location for it.
Possible applications would be, for example:
  • The view from a high tower, mountain top, cliff etc.
  • Any Island-in-the-sky scenarios
  • A cave dungeon map which consists of bridges over a magma lake
  • It could also be used for water effects, although I would rather use animated tiles for this.
  • Or water surfaces which reflect the sky
  • NOT a game master

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:[*]It could also be used for water effects, although I would rather use animated tiles for this.
[*]Or water surfaces which reflect the sky[/list]
What about bottom of sea? Water could be semi transparent. I like the idea. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Map backgrounds (was: Death world again)

Post by Crush »

Bottom of the sea = solid mapped ground with transparent water in the foreground = overlays = was already possible :wink:

Or did I misunderstand what you mean?
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Relying on backgrounds for water is quite bad, IMO. We wouldn't be able to do river animations like WoA is doing, unless we make those transparent, with the background reflecting the sky (a good option, IMO). For oceans and larger lakes, we can use the backgrounds to reduce mapping load. If we do ship deck maps, backgrounding the ocean will allow for a lot of detail with little mapping effort. Balloon and train maps too (something that would be interesting to look into).
Crush wrote:But... there is a little trick we could abuse. 0.0.29.1 pulls its updates from resource2.txt, the current git pulls a file named resources.xml. We could put an update without backgrounds into resource2.txt and another versions with backgrounds into resources.xml.
Just to make sure this is out here: the next client will try the XML first, and fall back on the older format if the XML isn't found. No need to provide XML if you don't want the newer features (like the abuse above, or optional updates).
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Crush wrote:But... there is a little trick we could abuse. 0.0.29.1 pulls its updates from resource2.txt, the current git pulls a file named resources.xml. We could put an update without backgrounds into resource2.txt and another versions with backgrounds into resources.xml.
:shock: Your right.... I didn't think of doing something like that... :?

Though do we really want to maintain two versions of the same map :?:

Your play a dangerous game my friend.... :twisted:
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

semi transparent animated water on top of background. Whats the worst that could come from testing it?
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Instead of having two versions of the map, how about another magic layer name like the "Fringe" layer which:
* New clients wouldn't draw
* Mappers should put as the bottom layer, and only use a special tileset containing a single black tile
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

octalot wrote:
Instead of having two versions of the map, how about another magic layer name like the "Fringe" layer which:
* New clients wouldn't draw
* Mappers should put as the bottom layer, and only use a special tileset containing a single black tile
I'd rather not, as it has no use going forward.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

really? what has no use going for-word?