[CPT/REQ] "The real Warlord Armor" or New Armor Items

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Gouki
Novice
Novice

[CPT/REQ] "The real Warlord Armor" or New Armor Items

Post by Gouki »

In front of all: I wish you all a happy new year. ;)

Since I started playing I recognized people running around in Warlord Plates and Jeans Chaps. First I thought "Wow, it looks damn stupid". After some time I recognized they wear it combined, because this two items are the strongest equip from their categories. This combination also includes other items.

The Full Armor set includes:

- Warlord Helmet (or Crusade Helmet)
- Warlord Plate
- Leather Gloves
- Jeans Chaps
- Fur Boots

This five items are the strongest of each category and almost every Player above Level 40 (except of a lot of mages) wear this five items as a combination. Two of them are named "Warlord" but where is the rest? I don't know who invented the single items but I think they fit into single outfits. But I really ask myself where the hand/wrist, waist/leg and feet armor of the Warlord Armor is...Even if I am the only one here who thinks that the combination looks stupid/not good, I don't surrender until we have a full Warlord Armor.

Here I want to share some of my ideas with you.

The existing Warlord Armor parts:

Warlord Helmet: Even if TMW is a fictional world the helmet reminds me of a viking helmet. But that's no problem because in other cultures there exist similar helmets, also the horns looks like kinda demon/devil and the horns increase a brutal / an aggressive warrior look.

Warlord Plate: This Armor is kind of "muscle-plate". Short history lesson: The "muscle-plate" was invented in antique Greece as a variation of the bell-armor. It wokes the appearance, the bearer would go with bare upper body to the battle and displayed at the same time idealised gained muscles which are a sign of strength and discipline.

The "fake" Warlord Armor parts:

Leather Gloves:
Of course fighter wear gloves. Fist fighter, archer and light armored warrior would prefer them. But the Warlord Plate and Helmet are Heavy Armored Class, so gauntlets would fit better.

Jeans Chaps:
My main problem. In my opinion they don't fit to the current light & heavy armor sets. Instead of Chaps I would prefer some kind of iron skirt, which protects the upper legs (and maybe the center ;) ) similar to the lower part of a samurai armor. This could fit nice because warlords were especially in china/asia. There could also be Some Cotton Pants, and the shins would be protected by iron. There are a lots of possible things to be.

Fur Boots:

Ok, I already said the Warlord Helmet reminds me of a viking helm, so pobably fur boots would/could fit. Some kind of iron boots would protect more. They could go to the ankle, maybe even to the knee if they would include shin protection.

The missing Warlord Armor parts:

The horns plus the ripped "bare" body looks aggressive and strong. Two abilities of a warrior. The new Warlord items should also fit into this category. Also a "warlord" is the highest ranking warrior. (s)He wears of course the best and fanciest armor of all.

Here are some ideas. A lot of the following sounds like "Get 20 Iron ore, receive armor"...Of course that should be balanced somehow. The Warlord plate is easy to purchase since bat farming became lucrative. There is also a weapon shop in Nivallis that could be included. Also there exist treasure chests which are "empty". But this is another own topic I guess.

Arms/Hands/Wrists:
I don't know if whole arm armors would be smart. The problem is that the Warlord Plate don't have long "sleeves" like a T-Neck, so Gloves have to be longer, maybe almost to the shoulder. I don't know if this could/would fit with other clothes, maybe only if they would be displayed above them (Example; the T-Neck sweaters sleeves are under the arm armor). Gloves or wirstbands made of metal would protect more than the leather gloves. Wristbands could have small spikes to increase the warrior look. Gloves could have spikes on the knuckles or SMALL blade-like needles on the hand (you close your fist and got 2 or 3 needles which perforates the enemy), similar to Dragon fangs. A medium solution could be leather gloves with iron on the knuckles and ironended fingers, a fusion of leather gloves and iron ore (new blacksmith quest?).

Legs/Waist:
I really get a headache when I'm thinking about this topic. What would be better, metalic calf, knee and tighs armor or even an excentric heavy war skirt?

Foot:
Boots made of metal with two spikes above the toes. That would be scary for the enemy.

---

This was some of my thoughts about the current armor set except the weaker armor sets. Everybody who got own/better ideas/thoughts/solutions and so on is welcome to share them. The reason why I started this concept topic is to start what a lot of people are looking for. New armor sets. Everybody who want to pixel some of my ideas is free to do it, I would like it to see some of your works to start first concepts. Also people who started similir stuff can post it here, too.

Note: The (new) armors will be especially for our "bored" meele warrior and archer. I don't want to talk about new weapon releases, stronger arrows the current magic system and so on, this would be a whole bunch of new giant topics. Maybe somebody could start them? :lol: But here we concentrate on armor. 8)

I made some small pictures. The one with the different outfits shows again the current Warlord Outfit(s). The second was a TRY of me how a full armor COULD look like. Don't laugh at me, I know the pixeling sucks. But try better, we need every idea. ;)

special thanks to noxo, Lizandra and sugarcorgit for helping me collect clothes for the picture
Attachments
Player-sheet.PNG
Player-sheet.PNG (4 KiB) Viewed 8713 times
warlord split.PNG
warlord split.PNG (77.06 KiB) Viewed 8711 times
Last edited by Gouki on 02 Jan 2010, 00:25, edited 2 times in total.
Why yearn live knowing everything must die?

豪鬼VS真豪鬼
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice

Re: [CPT/REQ] "The real Warlord Armor" or New Armor Items

Post by CapitanAwesome »

I like the idea, maybe for balencing issues, the extra metallic items could have a negative effect on agi (because they are heavy) and obviously positive effect on def (duh!)

your pixeled mock up of the final product isnt that bad at all, maybe you shoud pick an item and start working on it, get some feedback and see where it leads. thats probably going to be the fastest way to get this moving!

Cappy =)
CapitanAwesome - Game Master - server.themanaworld.org
Gouki
Novice
Novice

Post by Gouki »

Thanks for your feedback.
CapitanAwesome wrote:I like the idea, maybe for balencing issues, the extra metallic items could have a negative effect on agi (because they are heavy) and obviously positive effect on def (duh!)
Balancing will be another point. I would like to have equipment with different abilities. I like the idea of the assassin armor set which increases AGI, but don't increase so much DEF like the current armor sets. Every equipment should have pros and cons, otherwise it would be boring if there would only be items which increase 30DEF and 20AGI. ;)
maybe you shoud pick an item and start working on it, get some feedback and see where it leads. thats probably going to be the fastest way to get this moving!
First I would like to have some more inspiration/feedback/idea/comments and so on from the community. If we collect everything here we can split up the work to voluntaries and manage the work progress. Everybody is able to check out current progress and share opinions.

豪鬼VS真豪鬼
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Very good ideas and suchlike.
Gouki wrote:almost every Player above Level 40 wear this five items as a combination
I don't have any of them except Fur Boots...
Dicekid
Peon
Peon

Post by Dicekid »

Hi,

I like the idea very much, too. Sadly I don't have the time to do more then one thing for TMW and the Wedding-Quest-stuff is still a lot to do and I'd like to finish that one first before starting something else. But if there is something left to do after the finished Wedding-Quest-stuff, I'm in and surely will help you. :-)

Since then, happy brainstorming,
Dicekid
Roll the dice, kid!
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Yet another fine example of "no one actually designed the content going into the eA placeholder before releasing it".

I respect people for actually starting to bring these issues up finally after so many years.
This message used to be meaningful.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Gouki ""I made some small pictures. The one with the different outfits shows again the current Warlord Outfit(s). The second was a TRY of me how a full armor COULD look like. Don't laugh at me, I know the pixeling sucks. But try better, we need every idea. ;)

special thanks to noxo, Lizandra and sugarcorgit for helping me collect clothes for the picture[/quote]"""

skipy---says-------this is a concerrn of mine as well....and some holes need to be filled in what the game can call equipment sets...

me being a sub par pixel artiest (and a lack of time) what i can do have a limit ...

heres a reworking of the saviour grieves using the chaps as a guide.. (like a stencil for fitting) ...
now before i go and put any detail in( knee hinge part ,under padding, lacing, so on) and do the touch up fitting,,is this worth it ??or should i scrap it..and start fresh....

feed back is helpful

(((((not done by any means))))))
Attachments
1Grieves.png
1Grieves.png (56.52 KiB) Viewed 8525 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

more :|
Attachments
1Grieves.png
1Grieves.png (61.5 KiB) Viewed 8299 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Gouki
Novice
Novice

Post by Gouki »

Hi Skipy. I already told you I´m a fan of your pixel-art and I´m glad to see new content from you. If you have time you can continue, at the moment it looks interesting.

I found some pictures which I would like to present here. Feel free to be inspirated. ;)

Note: A full armor is including a lot of components. At the moment we have head, torso, hands, Legs and foot which are able to be equip. I would suggest the gauntlet and the vambrace could be combined as one item for example Warlord Gauntlets. The Cussie and Greaves (and probably a tasset) could be combined. The sabaton could be a recolored version of the current boots.

Some examples for (combined) components:

Example I
hands: gauntlet + vambrace
legs: cussie + greave +tasset (cussie and greave are pin-jointed by a poleyn)
foot: sabaton

Example II
hands: gauntlet
legs: tasset + cussie
foot: sabaton + greave

...and so on

I don´t have a computer at the moment (I´m online via PSP) so it will take some time until I am able to pixel some ideas...
Attachments
Armor2
Armor2
bodyharness.gif (64.04 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
Armor1
Armor1
knight-8.gif (48.73 KiB) Viewed 8270 times

豪鬼VS真豪鬼
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

good good now we can get some "Continuity " to the game and not just random hats :mrgreen: hehe

i find your examples vary helpful ...hope others do to..

a grate basic run down of the parts needed to make sets..(and how to put them together)..
i ill work as i get time(randomly lol)..

also things to keep in mind-
-archer need archer stuff
-mages need some mage stuff(not much for now)
-cowboy stuff (not much)
-things out side the box(who knows what)

good start on filling holes

i would like to ask any nubey pixel-artiest(like me) to pixel-help....it maybe a grate way to get your toes wet.....

-skipy-

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Lizandra »

skipy wrote:i would like to ask any nubey pixel-artiest(like me) to pixel-help....it maybe a grate way to get your toes wet.....

I'm a SUPER nubey...i dont know if i can be called pixel artist yet XD...but i wanted to help a little.... :) :wink:

"Perspective is everything"

Level 76!

IvanMorve
Novice
Novice

Post by IvanMorve »

Nice to see you here!

This grieves are nice!

here I just put the existing warlord equipment:

Maybe add a darker outline (like in the plate), and 1more iron pixel on the lower part of the grieves.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

IvanMorve wrote:Nice to see you here!

This grieves are nice!

here I just put the existing warlord equipment:

Maybe add a darker outline (like in the plate), and 1more iron pixel on the lower part of the grieves.
theres lots to be done on them(grieves)
i mite start form scratch..(think of it as a study . :roll: .then a working set )
i do have to say it looks good will the rest of the set ... :twisted:
and im started the re-do on it (fits the sprit way better)maybe ill post it today depending how much i do on it..
and nice to see you as well (just had some pc problems for 3 weeks, but there fix now)
Lizandra wrote:
skipy wrote:i would like to ask any nubey pixel-artiest(like me) to pixel-help....it maybe a grate way to get your toes wet.....

I'm a SUPER nubey...i dont know if i can be called pixel artist yet XD...but i wanted to help a little.... :) :wink:
please do..i love your other work..and can use all the help i can get..if you want to take a stad at "gauntlet + vambrace" feel free..whats the worst that can happen??(you get practice in :wink: )

-skipy-

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Dude
Novice
Novice

Post by Dude »

ok, so I took a stab at doing the "boots" (they are more like shoes since teh leg armor comes to the ankle).

Here is the icon...

here is the sprite sheet...

I also have the xcf file is anyone wants it...just pm me

PLEASE NOTE: I created a singe sprite sheet. My shoes were designed to work for both sexes....Please let me know your thoughts.
Dude - lvl 99
...and yes I know where my car is.....
Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Lizandra »

the only thing i don't like is the icon...

good work =)

"Perspective is everything"

Level 76!