CONCENTRATION THREAD - Tulimshar, phase 1

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

The part about the fetishes frightened me. The part about the Tropicallo plant (yeah that was the right name) inspired me. i don't know whether we'll have bosses though.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

why not? we'd just need to make sure only one spawns at any given time, and that it spawns at the "end" of the dungeon, as in, last room of a labyrinth or something like that. maybe we could do this by placing an invisible npc there that respawns the boss 5mins after it died, right next to the npc (though that's be a baaaad workaround)? i wasn't really happy with the way the spiders went to the starting point of mines2, instantly killing the people entering, so i think we need some kind of "monster location restrictions" anyways
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

eAthena support time between respawns and spawn locations as well, it just needs time to be set. when I tryed to fix scorpions spawns I made more damages than fixes.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

ktm wrote:...so i think we need some kind of "monster location restrictions" anyways
I totally agree:
In [url]http://wiki.themanaworld.org/Action_Layers[/url] I wrote:The 'check' tiles could be seperated in spawn tiles and non-spawn tiles to define areas where monsters should and shouldn't be spawned (like in narrow passages and near portals)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

yups, i read that. i think it's not an ideal solution though, since it applies to *all* monsters only. a better way would be to restrict the spawn areas *per monster* -via scripts/configs- on the server, so we can for example spawn cute little fuzzy furballs everywhere, but the evil invincible vampire demons only at the bottom right of the map, etc.
or, you could put one layer per monster (omitting layers for monsters that aren't supposed to be on the map), and add a respawn rate variable to the map. this would remove the need for one huge chaotic mob spawn config file on the server. (...while forcing the clients to download the maps again once the spawn rates change. okay, bad idea...)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

You could do that on the map too; Suppose you'd have 16 different spawn tiles. With those you could define 16 spawnzones per map.

- zone_1 : [maggots]=70%, [fuzzy furballs]=30%;

- zone_2 : [fuzzy furballs]=50%, [horned pigs]=30%, [evil canine titanum]=20%;

- zone_3 : [evil canine titanum]=40%, [invincible vampire demons]=60%;

...and so on.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

damn, i was thinking too binary again (just do_spawn/no_spawn)... you're right, of course :oops:
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

Directly from Monsters.txt

new_3-1.gat,0,0,0,0 monster Maggot 1002,30,0,0,0
let me explain >.>

new_3-1 is the map this monster is going to respawn.
.gat is the map extention.
the ,0,0,0,0 is where this monster will spawn.
the word "monster" specifies that this will be a monster.
"Maggot" this specifies the monsters name if seen by players.
"1002" this is the monsters database number.
"30" this is the ammount that will spawn.

,0,0,0:
This is how often it spawns in miliseconds
The first 0 is how long it takes to spawn after a server restarts.
The second 0 specifies how long it takes to respawn after it has died.
The third 0 is..... i dunno :o

So for example
new_3-1.gat,50,50,54,54 monster Tropicallo 1015,1,3600000,3600000,0

This would spawn a monster called Tropicallo every 1hour after it is killed on the coordinates between 50,50 and 54,54

Hope this simplifies it just a little >>>
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

so pretty much everything's already there, great. but, maybe a way to restrict monster movement would come in handy, to e.g. stop the spiders from wandering to the starting point, even if they spawned at the other end of the map. (3rd coord = max distance to wander away from the spawn point, 0 = no restriction? is there no docs to eathena?)
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

I dont believe the last number has anything to do with restrictions. Its not a problem in Ragnarok Online.. All monsters havefreedome of movment except immobile monsters >.>
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

ktm wrote:but, maybe a way to restrict monster movement would come in handy, to e.g. stop the spiders from wandering to the starting point, even if they spawned at the other end of the map.
Yes, I thought about that...
And I'm not really quite sure about what would be the best sollution.

Should the roaming area be the same as the spawning area or should it me a circle with the spawning point as it's centre?

I think the monster should be allowed to move outside this area if he is attacked. He should follow the attacker until he is dead or if the attacker is miles away from the monster (1 screens?). If the player is dead or miles away the monster should first move back to his roaming area before starting to roam again. If he is attacked on his way back he should fight first before returning to his area.

With agressive monsters (attack without being attacked) I think it should be somewhat the same. If roaming it should attack players within a certain range, even if they are outside the roaming area. It should follow them until dead or far away and then return to the roaming area before targeting a new player, unless it is attack on it's way back.

In case of multiple players I think the monster should attack every player that attacked him within a reasonable range before going back to his roamingarea.

I think the player (if faster) should be able to run from the monster, but leading the monster away from its roaming area shouldn't make running easier. This would also allow other abuse like the hit-n-run 'techniques' or shoot-n-run, whatever ye fancy.

(damn I think a lot, and this is actually the wrong topic for this)

Oh, and bear... I noticed your last message was 2/3 of kmt's last one in the 'topic review' yet twice as big with normal topic view. Could you edit your signature it's gargantuan?
ElvenProgrammer, I thought you had set some restrictions on signatures? Or are they only working after the next change of the restricted?

I'm off to bed
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

Thanks for reminding me, i stopped with that thing anyhow >.>

Anyawys, if you need help with scripting, let me know
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: re

Post by Modanung »

Bear wrote:Anyawys, if you need help with scripting, let me know
I wasn't planning on scripting it, just sharing my thoughts. Maybe even cause people to think about it as well. Giving them the opportunity to agree with me or to come with other ideas.
But who knows, maybe I will script it. But not now, that's one thing that's sure. :roll:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

how about putting boss monsters on their own maps with no mosters but them? in old console tradition these maps could be made without an exit and the only way leaving it is by either killing the boss or getting killed by it. when the boss is killed everyone on the boss map is warped back into the next town (maybe we should give them a minute to claim their drops). when the victorious players are warped out the boss respawns immediately for the next party. this also avoids spawn camping bosses without making it too easy to kill a boss over and over again bacause the party who killed the boss must walk through the entire dungeon again to fight the boss again. do you think this is scriptable? (if not make it scriptable ;))
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think it's a great idea.

We could do it like this:
If you enter the boss-room for the first time you (and your party?) enter combat with the boss. If you defeat him two exits will appear, one leading back and one leading to the next world.
If you die during battle you will respawn at the previous town/spawning point.
After you have defeaten the boss the boss-room will be empty or skipped.

I'd say that you could also enter the boss fight with your partymembers, but every party member should first be in reasonable range, or enter the door that leads to the boss-room. Quite similar to hosting a multiplayer game with the ready-system.
The strength of the boss will be adapted to the number of partymembers joining in the fight.
Every party member that doesn't join the boss fight will be registered as not fighted that boss and has to fight it before being able to pass through.

So if the defeated-boss-room wouldn't be skipped there would be one of it, in which every player who has defeated the boss could freely enter and leave.
For every player/party that hasn't defeated the boss yet there would be one boss-room. This to prevent waiting.