woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Way, way better. I'm really starting to love you :P

I'm now waiting for the next great update...
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush, you're starting to become a genious! :D

I LOVE the latest improvents, that's exactly what I meant about the edge of the water.
About the shape of the trees... the SoM trees are somewhat more bumpy, but your trees look a lot better since the latest update. Maybe, as ElvenProgrammer already said, increase the lightness of the trunk just a bit.
Crush wrote:when you think you could make a tree type with bigger leaves then why don't you make one?
I probably will. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The grass tile looks a bit tiled and hence unnatural.. The texture could be varied a bit.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

is there anyone who would like to walk over those bridge tiles? i wouldn't. :wink:

while i work at some more gimmicks, is there perhaps anyone who would like to create some monsters fitting into a forest? like wild animals or aggressive forest goblins. im not very good at creating creature sprites.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Ultim: well I'd like to integrate a whole tileset more than a single tile. If you're willing to help, maybe you can give a try improving the current tilesets. Most of the tiles are still low resolution rescaled ones.
http://www16.brinkster.com/theepoch/raff.html
Did you forget about that thread or did you mean something different?

Crush:
Definitely needs work but hopefully it will work until i or someone else can work on it.
Last edited by Ultim on 31 Aug 2005, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:is there anyone who would like to walk over those bridge tiles? i wouldn't. :wink:

while i work at some more gimmicks, is there perhaps anyone who would like to create some monsters fitting into a forest? like wild animals or aggressive forest goblins. im not very good at creating creature sprites.
go there:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/ir ... d-land.png
and look like my bridge looks like. maybe that will help
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Crush: the bridges look nice. I'm eager to see what's next :D

Ultim: I mean look at desert1.png and desert2.png , they're mostly coming from the old tileset where tiles were 16x16 and they've been resized with GIMP or whatever else, so they lack details and they're blurred or too much pixeled. If you mean to work on something easy this is a start.

Or you can try to fix the fron/rear walking animation of the fire goblin (monster9.png if i remember correctly).

About your wolf(?), I like it, now we need only the other 38 frames and we can add it. The current frames could be improved of course, the first one is a bit too flat and to me it seems it's falling backward.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

how about high grass?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

The idea is nice, very nice, but the color is psychedelic. :roll:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i thought psychedelic colors are good when you are high on grass, but you are right. they fit only when you are high on lsd.

how about now?
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:how about now?
Very good, although it too could possibly use some more grid eliminating.

On a side-note: I think almost every bridge should at least be 2 tiles wide, to prevent block-ups by either players or monsters. Eventhough players won't be obstacles in the future and monsters wil have roamingrestrictions, I think it will look better anyway.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Very nice work :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

I know I could be boring, but I want perfection, I agree with the previous idea of having higher grass lighter than low one. This way it stands out more. It's just a matter of saturation and brightness.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Learn to use saturation and lumination in unison to better fine tune your "brightness." It really helps. For example, darker colors need much higher saturation and lighter colors need much lower.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:I know I could be boring, but I want perfection, I agree with the previous idea of having higher grass lighter than low one. This way it stands out more. It's just a matter of saturation and brightness.
Shouldn't short grass be brighter then long grass? As it is shorter, younger and therefor has less chlorophyl A and B? Yes, most other reasons for grass to be shorter would also result in less pigment. If it gets less sunlight it will produce less clorophyl, just as when it is walked on.
And longer grass results in more shade between it; thus overall darker.

And ofcourse, if you look at other games... long grass is darker in a lot of cases:
- Warcraft 3
- Zelda: a Link to the Past

...eccept for SoM... buncha weirdo's. :P