[IDEA] Night/Day Soundscape

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

krazyjakee
Peon
Peon

[IDEA] Night/Day Soundscape

Post by krazyjakee »

I don't know if you are planning to include this feature into the mana world but if you are here are a couple of ideas regarding soundscapes and ambience.

The best example for my first idea is zelda 64 oot.
The idea that at night there is no music in any areas other than those that are dark even in the day (caves etc).
The music is replace with ambient noises; wind, night birds etc.
When you go indoors at night there is still no music but there is indoor ambience like clocks ticking, floorboards creeking, fire crackling.
It creates a comfortable feeling when you come out of the night and indoors.

I notice you are talking about integrating a better sound system.
As day fades tonight so the audio of night and day can fade into each other.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [IDEA] Night/Day Soundscape

Post by Kage »

Before we can even consider doing this, we first need to create day and night time.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Since it is not really viable to even consider pulling off night and day cycles in our graphical representation, unfortunately not. Overlays don't really do it for this in a desired way.
This message used to be meaningful.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Rotonen wrote:Since it is not really viable to even consider pulling off night and day cycles in our graphical representation, unfortunately not. Overlays don't really do it for this in a desired way.
I'm not sure I agree with that statement.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

One word: lighting.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We might add the ability to substitute tilesets later. That should make most of this rather easy. Just have multiple sets with the same pieces in the same places, etc.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Sure, once we have the entire world done in tilesets, I can spare you pixel resources to do the nightly versions with cool lighting effects and geometry following shadows from windows, lanterns, etc. Oh wait, moving light from player effects like magic...
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Rotonen wrote:Sure, once we have the entire world done in tilesets, I can spare you pixel resources to do the nightly versions with cool lighting effects and geometry following shadows from windows, lanterns, etc. Oh wait, moving light from player effects like magic...
Completely realistic lighting is impossible when you add unpredictable moving objects like players and monsters.
krazyjakee
Peon
Peon

Post by krazyjakee »

Just a simple night tile overlay should do.

One tile with a high opacity just to shade the day tile and some shapes for streetlamps, windows etc.
Also one tile to retain the normal day tile.

Just means having another layer of tiles that appear at certain times (depending on the server time).
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

This is not considered for the time being and the end result of your solution is not a desired one.