particle effect ??

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

lien
Warrior
Warrior

particle effect ??

Post by lien »

I have a question for the devs on the effect of particles , what software do you use or is not the case then what does
xhtml ✖
xml ✔
(I believe ?) to mean?

:arrow: Note that if you use software , what is it ?
Last edited by lien on 09 Jan 2010, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: particle effect ??

Post by Crush »

I use a common text editor. You hand-write the XML code and try it out ingame until it looks right.

There was also an effort to create a WYSIWYG particle effect editor, but I don't know if this project ever reached a usable state.

There is a (unfinished) tutorial on the wiki for creating particle effects:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... e_Tutorial
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

thank crush but ,after many link , this downolad is

.exe :cry: and not .app
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sorry but I have no idea if there is a git port for mac. Try the mac support forum or google it yourself.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I use vim (a open source text editor) for all XML files.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

Kage wrote:I use vim (a open source text editor) for all XML files.
this ?
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<effect>
  <particle
    position-x = "0"
    position-y = "0"
    position-z = "0">
    <emitter>
      <property name="output" min="-4" max="1" /> 
      <property name="horizontal-angle" min="0" max="360" /> 
      <property name="vertical-angle" value="70" />
      <property name="power" value="4" />
      <property name="gravity" value="0.1" />
      <property name="bounce" value="0.5" />
      <property name="lifetime" value="250" />
      <property name="image" value="graphics/particles/star-medium.png|W:#ff0000,ff8800"/>
      <emitter>
        <property name="power" value="0.6"/>
        <property name="horizontal-angle" min="0" max="360"/>
        <property name="vertical-angle" min="0" max="360"/>
        <property name="lifetime" value="20"/>
        <property name="output" min="0" max="1"/>
        <property name="image" value="graphics/particles/star-small.png|W:#ff8800,ffffff"/>
      </emitter>
    </emitter>
  </particle>
</effect>
but how to have an overview of the values? :?:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The full documentation can be found here: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Particle_engine

That page is also linked from the tutorial, by the way.
  • NOT a game master

lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

lien wrote:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<effect>
  <particle
    position-x = "0"
    position-y = "0"
    position-z = "0">
    <emitter>
      <property name="output" min="-4" max="1" /> 
      <property name="horizontal-angle" min="0" max="360" /> 
      <property name="vertical-angle" value="70" />
      <property name="power" value="4" />
      <property name="gravity" value="0.1" />
      <property name="bounce" value="0.5" />
      <property name="lifetime" value="250" />
      <property name="image" value="graphics/particles/star-medium.png|W:#ff0000,ff8800"/>
      <emitter>
        <property name="power" value="0.6"/>
        <property name="horizontal-angle" min="0" max="360"/>
        <property name="vertical-angle" min="0" max="360"/>
        <property name="lifetime" value="20"/>
        <property name="image" value="graphics/particles/star-small.png|W:#ff8800,ffffff"/>
      </emitter>
    </emitter>
  </particle>
</effect>
but how to have an overview of the values? :?:
and this ???

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<effect>
        <particle
                position-x = "0"
                position-y = "0"
                position-z = "400"
                lifetime = "100"
                >
                <!-- <property name="follow-parent" value="0"/> -->
                <emitter><!-- <property name="follow-parent" value="0"/> -->
                  <property name="lifetime" min="25" max="30"/>
                  <property name="position-x" min="60" max="120"/>
                  <property name="position-y" min="-30" max="30"/>
                  <property name="vertical-angle" value="260"/>
                  <property name="power" value="20"/>
                  <property name="gravity" value="0.04"/>
                  <property name="image" value="graphics/particles/raindrop.png|W:#ff0000,ff6600,ffea00,ffb400"/>
                </emitter>
        </particle>
</effect>
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Ooh, particle work. Very much appreciated someone is digging into using our particle engine better.
This message used to be meaningful.
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

my question is how view (in a computer) these effects?
:mrgreen:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The only way to test a particle effect is ingame.

First you have to do this, so that you can change the resource files of your game client:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =13&t=2617

Then you can:
a) place the particle effect on a map, details see mapping tutorial
or
b) replace the file of an existing particle effect, I usually use the soul menhir effect.
  • NOT a game master

lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

the link wrote:When you downloaded TMW as a prepacked install packet for your operating system it comes without most of the graphics, maps and so on. These are downloaded at the first start by the updater. Here I will explain you how to get these files so you can play around with them, customize TMW and maybe contribute to the development.

Method A: Unpack the updates
To use this method you just need a program that can unpack zip archives and no other tools. But you won't get the most recent development versions of the resource files but only those that have been released to the general public.

1. Update the mana world
Start tmw and let an updater run to ensure that you got the newest updates.

2. Locate the updates
From version 0.0.23 on the updates are stored in your user directory. For users of UNIX-like operating systems this should be usr/home/*your_username*/ or just ~. Windows users find their user directory in C:\Documents and Settings\*your_username*\
("Documents and Settings" is called different on different language versions of windows)

There you find the folder /.tmw/updates with all the updates you downloaded since you first installed tmw. Most of them will be obsolete. You can find a list of the updates that are actually used in the file resources2.txt.

3. Unpack the updates
Unpack the zip archives listed in resources2.txt into the subfolder "data" of your tmw installation (When there are any zip archives not listed in resources2.txt in your update folder don't unpack those. They contain outdated files that have been replaced by later updates).

4. Tell TMW to ignore the updates and use the files in the data directory
To do so you have to start tmw with the additional command line parameter -u

Windows users can right-click on the tmw shortcut on their desktop and select Properties. In the field Target you find the path to your tmw executable in quotation marks. Add -u behind the quotation marks. It should now read something like that:
"D:\Programs\The Mana World\tmw.exe" -u

Method B: Use Git to get the latest developer versions of all files
This method should be prefered over the other because you will receive the most recent development versions of the files. But it requires you to install a new program.

1. Install Git
Git is a distributed, commandline-based sourcecode management tool which makes it easy to work with many people on a software project.
Most linux distributions should have Git in their packet management systems.
A windows version can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list

2. "clone" the git repository.
Open your command shell, browse to the directory where you would like to have the files and enter:
git clone git://gitorious.org/tmwdata/mainline.git tmwdata
This will create a new folder "tmwdata" and download all the files here.

3. Tell TMW to ignore the updates and use the files in your new directory
To do so you have to start tmw with the additional command line parameters -u -d path/to/your/data/folder

Windows users can right-click on the tmw shortcut on their desktop and select Properties. In the field Target you find the path to your tmw executable in quotation marks. Add -u -d behind the quotation marks followed the folder where you cloned the git repository. It should now read something like that:
"D:\programs\The Mana World\tmw.exe" -u -d D:\tmw\data

4. Update the repository from time to time
To synchronize your local repository with the newest develpmont changes open your command shell, navigate to your tmw data folder and type:
git stash
git pull
git stash apply
You can skip stash and stash apply when you didn't change any files.

Now you can edit or replace all resource files of TMW like maps, graphics, sounds and the changes will be visible in the game. You can also change what file is used for what to some extend by editing the xml files in
the data directory.
but this is for the unix user and windows user :cry:
in my mac i haven't the "D:\Programs\The Mana World\tmw.exe" the file programs
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

lien wrote:
the link wrote:When you downloaded TMW as a prepacked install packet for your operating system it comes without most of the graphics, maps and so on. These are downloaded at the first start by the updater. Here I will explain you how to get these files so you can play around with them, customize TMW and maybe contribute to the development.

To use this method you just need a program that can unpack zip archives and no other tools. But you won't get the most recent development versions of the resource files but only those that have been released to the general public.

1. Update the mana world

2. Locate the updates
From version 0.0.23 on the updates are stored in your user directory. For users of UNIX-like operating systems this should be usr/home/*your_username*/ or just ~. Windows users find their user directory in C:\Documents and Settings\*your_username*\
("Documents and Settings" is called different on different language versions of windows)

There you find the folder /.tmw/updates with all the updates you downloaded since you first installed tmw. Most of them will be obsolete. You can find a list of the updates that are actually used in the file resources2.txt.

3. Unpack the updates
Unpack the zip archives listed in resources2.txt into the subfolder "data" of your tmw installation (When there are any zip archives not listed in resources2.txt in your update folder don't unpack those. They contain outdated files that have been replaced by later updates).

Windows users can right-click on the tmw shortcut on their desktop and select Properties. In the field Target you find the path to your tmw executable in quotation marks. Add -u behind the quotation marks. It should now read something like that:

This method should be prefered over the other because you will receive the most recent development versions of the files. But it requires you to install a new program.

1. Install Git
Git is a distributed, commandline-based sourcecode management tool which makes it easy to work with many people on a software project.
A windows version can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list

Open your command shell, browse to the directory where you would like to have the files and enter:

To do so you have to start tmw with the additional command line parameters -u -d path/to/your/data/folder

Windows users can right-click on the tmw shortcut on their desktop and select Properties. In the field Target you find the path to your tmw executable in quotation marks. Add -u -d behind the quotation marks followed the folder where you cloned the git repository. It should now read something like that:

To synchronize your local repository with the newest develpmont changes open your command shell, navigate to your tmw data folder and type:
git stash
git pull
git stash apply

Now you can edit or replace all resource files of TMW like maps, graphics, sounds and the changes will be visible in the game. You can also change what file is used for what to some extend by editing the xml files in
the data directory.
Buy me a mac and I will happily figure out the correct procedure and add it to the wiki :D
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

Kage wrote:
lien wrote:

1. Update the mana world

2. Locate the updates

3. Unpack the updates

1. Install Git

git stash
git pull
git stash apply

the data directory.
Buy me a mac and I will happily figure out the correct procedure and add it to the wiki :D
* cough* * cough*
even if I wanted

I have no money for that