What is your favourite operating system?

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
theboomboomcars
Peon
Peon

Re: What is your favourite operating system?

Post by theboomboomcars »

salmondine wrote:So I installed Debian Lenny,(stable)...no idea why they call it stable. it is not stable, however It only crashes 1 or 2x a day.
Usually when running gimp. still its pretty good as it loses no data even when I have to unplug box to reboot.
Debian stable means there are no changes in versions of software. The only updates provided are stability and security fixes. If you are experiencing kernel panics or X lockups you probably have a hardware problem or a bad driver.

A couple distros I would recommend a look at are LinuxMint, kind of like what PCLinux is to Mandriva but to Ubuntu, and Sabayon, which is a binary derivative of Gentoo that is setup for media and gaming, though for those still interested in using portage you still can.

When you get an X lock try alt+sysrq+r+e+i+s+u+b to restart. This gives control of the keyboard back to the console, unmounts everything and reboots the computer safely. If you get a kernel panic it won't help, because the kernel is no longer running, but if X locked up it should work.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Best OS that there is at this moment is Windows 7 :)
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

I have no doubt that W7 is high quality and provides a great desktop experience, and that it has slimmed down for portable devices...

...but the best OS is one that doesn't trash your freedom, abuse standards, impose lock-in, police you, nor makes your computer blatantly vulnerable to becoming part of DDoS-sending bot nets.

Linux-libre, the chain of GNU utilities, [GNOME, KDE, XFCE, [various window managers]] GIMP, Mozilla, etc, many packages to combine in different ways for those who need specialization... the modularity is tangled, Unixes like libraries to be arranged in a shared way rather than dumped into one folder with the binaries as is seen on msw.

[free distros] Trisquel is one of the more up-to-date ubuntu derivatives on that list. Requires checking for hardware compatibility.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

EJlol wrote:Best OS that there is at this moment is Windows 7 :)
No, Windows 7 is terrible. It is Vista just dumbed down (ALOT). It makes me sick that you would even say that! Linux is way better, imo!

Edit: i figured i needed to say more then just "No"
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Link , hero of time
Novice
Novice
Location: it varies from game to game , "The Legend of Zelda" but I often find myself to Hyrule

Post by Link , hero of time »

eljoy wrote:Best OS that there is at this moment is Windows 7
NO ,
Windows is and always will be a big shĩt

Ganon, you are and you will always be my worst enemy
link the hero of time
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

baseballboy wrote:
No, Windows 7 is terrible. It is Vista just dumbed down (ALOT). It makes me sick that you would even say that! Linux is way better, imo!

I tried linux (multiple times, even once forced by the school), and the only thing I can say I was REALLY happy with going back to Windows.

@bcs86 Windows does NOT abuse standards, (only the software does, mostly Internet Explorer which just sucks)
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

EJlol wrote:
baseballboy wrote:

I tried linux (multiple times, even once forced by the school), and the only thing I can say I was REALLY happy with going back to Windows.

@bcs86 Windows does NOT abuse standards, (only the software does, mostly Internet Explorer which just sucks)
this shows that you don't have a mac :lol: :lol:
because it must be a little crazy for really love a window
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I don't have a mac indeed, I would love to try it, however I don't like spending money just to try it out. Maybe when I win the lottery or something :P
Link , hero of time
Novice
Novice
Location: it varies from game to game , "The Legend of Zelda" but I often find myself to Hyrule

EJlol wrote:I don't have a mac indeed, I would love to try it, however I don't like spending money just to try it out. Maybe when I win the lottery or something :P
well .... you should buy one!
anyway with a mac you can have a nice window
window ..... you know what I think :lol: :lol: a big shĩt

well .... you should buy the bow !
you're crazy it's 980 ruby
link the hero of time
bluecloud2
Peon
Peon

Post by bluecloud2 »

LINUX of course.
(Ubuntu)
Be always carefull when u trade but more when u trade with one of these players.
Salah Salah01 InKa -Beyonce-
(they try to get your rares without pay)
JackDeth
Novice
Novice

Post by JackDeth »

I'm one of those who has been burned by Windows several times over the years. I think Microsquishy is the evil Empire. Of all their reincarnations up to this point, XP is probably the best and most stable overall (other than DOS I suppose). The worst product they had was Windows ME, with Vista as a close second. Looking at Windows 7, it feels almost like they are trying really hard to become Linux. lol

I'm am trapped in the world of Windows for business unfortunately due to my absolute reliance upon 3-4 very specific software programs that I use in business that will only work in Windows. Therefore, I still use Windows XP for most of my day to day operations.

However, I dual boot that machine with Ubuntu. I also use Ubuntu on my Thinkpad. I use Compiz on both systems as I find the desktop cube to be very handy (and nice to show friends and associates) as I use multiple desktops. I also run a few virtual machines using VMware and VirtualBox in which I use Fedora, Linux Mint, and SUSE. I'm in the middle of trying to put together a Koha server system for a local school's library.

So far, I personally like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux Mint the best overall.
kamrenroder
Peon
Peon

Post by kamrenroder »

Windows 7
or
Windows vista
Link , hero of time
Novice
Novice

kamrenroder wrote:Windows 7
or
Windows vista
your favorite and not what you use !!!Image
and vista .... well it's a big shĩt

bwhaha
evil :twisted:
link the hero of time
arnoldclab
Peon
Peon

Post by arnoldclab »

For me, as a technician, having the user in mind, this is my idea, for being user friendly, and 90% of the world knows how to use, it's Windows XP. It's really great, easy management, and lots of programs can be installed! I installed Pro-magic on it so it can be restored to it's perfect settings everytime i open.

LINUX, for me its great for internet because it's immune to viruses and pop ups!, and using Wine (Windows Emulator) and XCrossover, i can istall some softwares for windows, (but not really needed when you have both in your system.)

so for me, i installed both in my system, i use windows for lots of jobs offline, i use linux for internet so i feel safe when visiting crack sites!
theboomboomcars
Peon
Peon

Post by theboomboomcars »

[quote="arnoldclab"LINUX, for me its great for internet because it's immune to viruses and pop ups!, and using Wine (Windows Emulator) and XCrossover, i can istall some softwares for windows, (but not really needed when you have both in your system.)
[/quote]

You do know that wine will run windows malware just fine, right?