woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Elven would you be as kind as to appoint an obligatory meeting..? My attempts in the past have been in vain.
This message used to be meaningful.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

tiles with many and few flowers (they look quite neat when combined):
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

I like all your work Crush. :D
Although, I'd rather have more wild looking trees like these: (I did not make them)
I love you too. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

do you really think that those trees fit so well into a game which wants to reassemble the look of SNES games?
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

No, what I was trying to say was that the trees you made look like they have been cut in that shape by someone... I know SoM has trees like that everywhere but we don't have to use the exact style. What I'm trying to say is I like trees that look more wild and random than shaped trees... but they are your tiles and you do what you want with them.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like your trees... I'm just stating that I would like them better the way I explained up there. I still like all your work. :)
I love you too. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

about the topic stone roads again.

some people want the stones to be closer together, some want them further away, some want more grass, some want less grass, some want the slabs to be bigger and some want them smaller. it seems impossible for me to make a road everyone likes. so i've chosen the road design i like best. and thats the first version (no gaps at all) with more shading and less grass(none to be precise):
like it or hate it. when you think that something different would look better then design it yourself and when the majority thinks its superior to my roads then i will replace mine with it.

oh, and speaking of roads: i replaced the ground texture of the paths with the dirt tile from sulls tiles. but i made it much darker and browner because the bright color didn't match the rest of the tileset:
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Crush wrote:about the topic stone roads again.

some people want the stones to be closer together, some want them further away, some want more grass, some want less grass, some want the slabs to be bigger and some want them smaller. it seems impossible for me to make a road everyone likes.
You have to listen to me only :twisted:
Just kidding don't worry. About the path I'd make it wider, with lighter details, and please add some randomness to the borders, they seem so flat.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Don't get too pressured, Crush. Remember that art is your expression. Try to make everyone happy but don't get too stressed out over it.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

About the grass tile there: I think the repeating pattern of it is not good. Perhaps you could adjust the pattern or create an array of 5-6 different grass tiles (alternating patterns per type of grass), which could be connected into each other in every way..? I know it's a lot, but we're aiming for variety and trying to avoid repetition.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Rotonen wrote:About the grass tile there: I think the repeating pattern of it is not good. Perhaps you could adjust the pattern or create an array of 5-6 different grass tiles (alternating patterns per type of grass), which could be connected into each other in every way..? I know it's a lot, but we're aiming for variety and trying to avoid repetition.
sounds good in theory, but do you think that any map designer would make use of it? the grass tile is usually the base tile for every map. so the mapper will usually just use flood fill and then he will build his map on this base. i doubt that any map designer would start making a 100x100 tile map with placing 10.000 (!) alternating grass tiles manually. i'll consider making different grass tiles when Tiled gets something like a "random flood fill" feature which fills an area with a random arrangement of selected tiles.

but i would maybe change my mind when a map designer can persuade me that he would really make use of different grass tile variations.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Idea: Light source comes from the same place the player's view comes from. In short, the light is in front. It looks generically better, and should we begin using code to regulate light sources (much better for many reasons) instead of painstakingly making every tile uniform, it still looks great.
i wish i could go to the artists' meeting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

@Ultim: using the graphic engine to shade the tiles a) doesn't work well on 2d engines and b) would mean to redesign every tile already made to be not shaded at all. do you want to do that? because i won't. we decided to represent the light source by the shading of the tiles and we decided to have the light come from southwest on outdoor maps (take a look at the graphic design guidelines in the wiki). and i think we should stick to that.

here is an actual snapshot of the tileset. note that i mirrored everything. i also rearranged the water corners. i hope it is now more obvious what they are good for.
there are some new tiles you haven't seen yet. the first one who finds all of them can make a wish for the 4 remaining tiles which are still free ;)

oh, and are there any ideas what to do with the 2nd 256x512 pixels?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Crush wrote:but i would maybe change my mind when a map designer can persuade me that he would really make use of different grass tile variations.
Can I raise my hand?

Anyway to answer also your second question, use the other half of the tileset to add at least more variations: different grass tiles, with dirt in it, stones, fences, bushes with and without flowers, bigger rocks (4 tiles), another kind of path (possibly with light big separate flat stones), signs, rocks below water, small fishes, leaves on the surface of water, a dead tree, a fruit tree, a well, slopes and borders to make different terrain heights, holes in the terrain, and of course you can still improve the current ones.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

here is the first version of my cliffs. first i wanted to use the brown cliffs from the desert tileset, but then i realized that these tiles are horrible unflexible. so i made my own cliffs from scratch.

please do not tell me to:
-make the transition between diagonal and horizontal smoother
-improve the transition to the grass at the top
-improve the transition to the grass at the bottom

because i already know that i have to do that.

in the meantime feel free to tell me more ideas. there are still 128 tiles waiting for your creative input. ok, just around 64, because half of them will be used for my mountains.