[WIP] Playerset - CR1 - NEEDS HELP

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: [WIP] Playerset - CR1 - Fother J

Post by meway »

I am making a new topic regarding new plans of a new player-set. Deadline is April 24th. If I or other contributors do not meet this deadline I will revert back to The old player-set.

Keep in mind this is CR1 not the old TMW we know. I want contributors. Graphics developers. Who are willing to suggest animations. Who are willing to make clothing, which with the new set will require Full outfit sets not peace by peace equipment. If we don not change this old style This project will die IMO. Here is your start please go too our finish-line carefully so that you do not trip us. Keep it a development topic. If you do not like the idea, I suggest you keep working on this old set while I try and meet my deadlines.
Link found here v
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 24&t=10194
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Your request does not meet with official approval of TMW development team (at least part of it).
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Meway,

I fully understand your motivation when willing to bring the CR1 project a new attractive player-set which want to push beyond the current (and growing steadily boring) limits.

But as you have to be aware of already:
- The CR1 project management is under Rotonen's hood only. Every other decision made is independent and will treated as it is.
- Every decision not supported by the Art Leader won't be supported by the development team. And so yours isn't.

That said, if you can prove everyone's wrong with a new shiny playerset, then ok.
But remember we can't afford wasting human resources (especially for pixel art) on duplicate works, and have to keep up the team work if we want to bring something out of the pixel art jungle.
We have to stay focused and then, once again, we can't support your point of view as it's not what have been decided.

But let's not lose faith. The server and especially client development is not that far from a next release.

The player set has seen improvement, as it is, even if I agree with bcs86, the perspective is wrong and should be corrected. We're close. There's not that much left to do, but we have to stay in line with the given objectives or we won't do it.

And yes, maybe as Fother J is very unfortunately ill, we should give the playerset management to another senior pixel artist. I let, of course, that kind of decision to Rotonen's hands.

I'm hoping to make things clearer.

Best regards.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi bcs86,

Except for the class part, which could be handled in another way than applying the equipment on the playerset anyway, and be done later (remember, focus!),
I really like the changes made on the Playerset development page you made here :
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... evelopment

I heard you told meway about a perspective-corrected playerset?
Can you post here?

Best regards.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Thanks. That page is the best place to have the specs. I think they are set in stone now. The wiki should be edited when plans change.
The class system has received an absolute no. There is still the prospect of an improved playerset compatible with TMW and layered for dynamically equippable armors and at 45deg. perspective instead of the flat profile view. That is an independent pursuit. I'm not posting any WIP about that unless something ground-breaking and usable comes along.

No more beating about the bush.
CR1 is focusing on the existing unfinished playerset. I still owe CR1 a complete 2 handed attack motion.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I will still work on the new player-set with perspective but please see other topic.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

If anyone wants to step up to actually lead this subproject, I'm quite open for suggestions.

The list of required animations is pretty much discussed through already. What I'd be expecting to see are animation sketches and exploration about frame minimization.
This message used to be meaningful.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Ill try to call Fother again today. Last two times I have tried to contact in the past month went to voice mail.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

GREAT NEWS! I got ahold of Fother.... He is doing much better (finally stopped going in and out of the hospital). Though he said he still has dizzy spells, and sometimes passes out.

The reason he has not been back on is because his laptop was stolen. All player set work he has done is pretty much lost.

He hopes to get a new netbook soon so he can rejoin us!

I told him that we all have missed him, and I told him that many of you ask me about him often. He apperciates us thinking about him. And he hopes to be back soon.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Yet another fine example of why you should share all of your work sooner rather than later on the forums so others can work on the stuff too and actually see what is going on.

For me the rumored playerset work of (to my counting to date) at least 8 acclaimed playerset artists does not exist and has indeed never existed.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [WIP] Playerset - CR1 - NEEDS HELP

Post by bcs86 »

Anyway, curious as to what Fother had been up to, I've been trying to reproduce his layering work. Just not certain. The attached project file assumes that every layer of the body is like a piece of equipment. The layers would be split into player_male_eyes, player_male_heads, player_male_torso, and player_male_legs PNG files... but it probably will not work how I'm assuming.

When someone with the knowledge has the time, look over this project file and tell let me know if I'm even on the right track or what you think Fother was trying to do.
player_male_layers.xcf.bz2
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

I had a try at doing some specifications here:

http://doc.manasource.org/playerset_lay ... mprovement

Could everyone have a look and comment this version where needed?

Thanks a lot.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Bertram wrote:Hi,

I had a try at doing some specifications here:

http://doc.manasource.org/playerset_lay ... mprovement

Could everyone have a look and comment this version where needed?

Thanks a lot.
I'd rather see the player at 'value' 0 and stuff behind it negative. Along with the possibility to dynamically adjust those as needed for individual frames.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Jax,
Along with the possibility to dynamically adjust those as needed for individual frames.
Could you post an xml equipment sample?

Thanks for looking at it.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Surprisingly soon we are going to have an empty mapped out world for CR1. Then we are stuck because we cannot do anything else for it. The TMW-eA playerset will not really fit in due to a multitude of reasons not limited to perspective and texturing differences.

Why is the playerset so damn important for me to block all other work before it is done?

Playerset design will set in stone how living beings are going to look for the rest of TMW-CR.

Playerset design will set in stone which equipment slots we can have visible. It will even influence what equipment slots we can/will/should have.

The playerset is the thing with which players identify in the game world.

So the next step is to produce a standing male frame. Anyone courageous enough to take this one? The playerset should not be larger than 50px by 100px and so far all tileset design has thought of it being 32px by 64px.