woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

-make the transition between diagonal and diagonal smoother :lol:

They're too repetitive again, especially when used to create tall walls. And the diagonal ones seem to be only a rotation of the front ones (and the probably are), they should have more depth and different shadings.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Once again nice work already... I can see they're not finished, but it looks very promising.

Can I tell you to make the diagonal cliff stand out more? (Ah, I see ElvenProgrammer was first with noting that) Maybe increase the shading on the bottom of the rocks/bumps a bit more everywhere?
ElvenProgrammer wrote:They're too repetitive again, especially when used to create tall walls
This can be solved with variation tiles, I think it's a good texture to begin with.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
zipon
Novice
Novice

Post by zipon »

Hey all it nice to see the woke you all have done sense ver. 0.0.7 when i start playing The Mana World :D

Here are some ideas to the 2nd tileset.

what about make a waterfall from the cliff`s and maybe have some hole`s in the grass
you could also have bridge for the cliff`s and Crush keep up the good work :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

zipon wrote:what about make a waterfall from the cliff`s
good idea, but a waterfall would look stupid without animation, wouldn't it? but when the coders implement animated map tiles then this will be the first thing i'll make. the engine supports alpha transparency, doesn't it? an animated, half transparent waterfall would look really cool.
and maybe have some hole`s in the grass
what exactly do you mean with that?
you could also have bridge for the cliff`s
already planed.
and Crush keep up the good work :)
thank you.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Crush, let me thank you for all your work, even if not completed is good to see a constant pixel artist 8)
An idea to do the transition: leave a bit of grass hanging at the edge. Also add some random climbing plants at the vertical side of the cliff.

And finally i would like to see tile of the water with some acuatic flora (i.e.:rushes).
Something like this (i wish the photo was better):
:wink:
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

More relief on the mountains. They look very flat. Perhaps try lighter tops and darker bottoms of the little jutting rocks? i understand that's hard to understand, but it's hard to explain. Do that on your horizontal tile and diagonal tile seperately... don't use the shaded horizontal to make the diagonal. Everything still looks very nice though. Natural "fences" would be a good idea. Like downed rotting trees or long wall-like bushes. Mountain trails would be fun to mess with. Make sure you make some stumps for seats too!
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Hey Crush, I found a better example of the kind of trees I think the forest should have...
(It's a big picture because I took it from a pixel tutorial site...)

Of course, I'm not telling you to change the trees you made now but maybe after you finish all the forest tiles you can change them to this style? Just a thought :?

Oh and Modanung you were making a tree right? Is it going to be for a certain tileset or something?
I love you too. :)
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Haha... in essence, you say, "Hey, maybe you can change it to the style of pixelling that is held very often to be the most advanced style ever achieved? In your spare time?" That picture is from a site revering that style, is it not? Not that i discourage him from trying though. If he pulled off something that nice, it sure would be great. Good luck.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i'm sorry, Kinetic, but i'm afraid that is beyond my skills.

(btw: ist this forum so horribly slow today or is it just my conection to it?)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

newest version of the mountains:
diagonal back tiles are comming soon.

note that i didn't shade the diagonal tiles by reducing the brightnes like i did before. this time i made the shading manually. do you like it?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Especially great work on the grass. Overall looks nice, but especially the green still needs a saturation reduction I think. For example:

Just makes it a bit more realistic instead of candy land. No offence intended. :-)
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

a second shade of grass wouldn't hurt, too, e.g. to set apart the higher level on that example mountain from the lower one.

(also, simply reducing the saturation on the whole thing makes the trees stand out a little imho, so they'd need to be corrected separately.)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

yes, i'll do a 2nd grass tile. i promise.

so what do you think about my cliffs?
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

the cliffs are nice
but i guess you need some shadow ..

atm the middle thing is strange in m eyes .. on one moment it looks like this.. in the other its turned around
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Hello there. A few comments on the various tiles you've submitted:

Trees: Much, much better than the original trees. However, there are three main improvements that I feel need to be made. First, an alteration of the trunk to provide for some spreading roots. Right now, the trunks expand outward a bit as they go down, but there aren't any visible root-tops, which I think should probably be included every now and then. Second, I agree with the comments that say the shape is a bit too ideal. Certainly, we aren't going for full-on realism here, but they really look manicured, and this is supposed to be a wild place. This means both external (branches sticking out, odder shapes) and internal (holes in the foliage) irregularities. Third, and I think I feel most strongly about this one, is that there need to be more different trees. It always bothers me in RPG's when I see a perfect grid of perfectly identical trees being called a "forest." It is incredibly disruptive to immersion within the game, and as such is a problem, regardless of whether or not SoM did it.

Cliffs: These still need a pretty substantial amount of work. Eliminating the grid is, of course, the main consideration, but there are other issues; for example, the rocks along the top edge of the cliffs make it look constructed rather than like a natural landform. I would suggest patches of dirt, a less even row of rocks, and generally a more gradual transition back into standard grass tiles. This also applies for the bottom edge. There is also the issue of the cliffs being perfectly flat; again, this makes them look constructed. The addition of some jutting rocks, cracks/gaps, and other irregularities can really help. And of course, I agree with the idea of adding climbing/drooping plants.

Water: The water tiles are looking pretty good. However, I think (once again) that a more gradual transition is in order between water and grass. It's not very common in the real world to see grass right up to the water's edge. You also might make an attempt at a more "lakelike" transition, where the ground slopes down into the water rather than simply cutting off. Another suggestion for later on would be multiple depths of water, but that's not your main focus right now.

Rocks: The rocks are looking good. I would like to see some more as well, perhaps with more irregular shapes, moss, cracks, and such. But the ones you've got look fine for a start.

Grass: It's a good start, but the grid is very apparent. Even if you don't see it being used just yet, creating more grass tiles that can be used in conjunction with what you've got would really be good. This includes variations like Elven suggested, as well (good suggestions).

Overall: There's one big problem that I'm going to point out right now, and that you're probably going to hate me for after a while. The edges of the landforms you're making are too perfectly shaped. Natural landforms almost never fall into straight lines, and well-crafted games take that into account. The ideal here (as it is, in fact, with all tileset creation) is not to be able to tell that the game is run on top of a tiled map, to make it look like a big, single, well-done sprite instead. What you've got thus far is a good start, but in all honesty, I don't see much of this as being "completed tiles" at this point.