[DIS] Soundscape - CR1 - saturn

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [DIS] Soundscape - CR1 - saturn

Post by Bertram »

Thanks for the answer, saturn.

I've listened to all of them carefully, and each piece is really neat :)

I also can see some influence from some Squa*e games ;)

Thanks again and best Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I really like your work so far, saturn, but I still have a few bits of constructive criticism:

academy_dungeon_sketch1 is not really suitable for a dungeon in my opinion. Much too friendly, slow and peaceful. A dungeon is a place the player goes to get some combat action. A fast-paced dramatic fight music would be more suitable.

academy_dungeon_sketch2: The organ is maybe not the best instrument choice for a temple, because everyone in the western world automatically associates an organ with a christian church.

"Lying on the forsaken beach": A beautiful song, but quite depressing. I wouldn't want to listen to it for hours while grinding on beach monsters.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Damn, I'm really inspired to make some music of my own now, but unfortunately my old Mac has given out on me and my current computer is not powerful enough. I'll have to wait til later in the year when I get a new computer...

On saturn's music: It's good, but (like I feel about a lot of my music) it's a bit drab (lots of minor keys and low, solemn tones). How about something a little more cheery for the first music people will hear in the game?
I'm not able to listen to them all because last.fm isn't working for me. How about uploading them to a different site?

What program(s) do you use for composing?
~Feline Monstrosity
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Crush:
For academy_dungeon_sketch1, I guess it depends on the type of dungeon. If it should be more fast-paced and dramatic, I will work on one like that.

I really liked the organ sound for the temple, even if it is similar to a church. I can change the feel though. What type of temple are we looking at? I can write eastern-style temple music, or I could focus on a choral piece, for more of a Zelda-esque sound.

I agree with the comment on "forsaken beach," so we might use it for part of the beach-scene, but not the main area. That one was done by crazyjackie

If those dungeon sketches should be changed, would they fit elsewhere? I will work on new sketches for temple and academy dungeons.

Thanks for the feedback.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I was working on some temple tiles, may this help to define the type of music.

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... evelopment

Not sure but just an idea
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We'll have more than one temple, type of temple, etc.
krazyjakee
Peon
Peon

Post by krazyjakee »

Love the chat people, thanks thanks!!!

Crush: Thanks for the constructional criticism, always handy.
AxlTrozz: Thank you for the inspirational art.

Anyone have art for the forest?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

As for the dungeon design and dungeon gameplay design of CR1: we've not really progressed in those aspects at all currently. I'd like to get the backdrops (tilesets + mapping) ready before going there.
This message used to be meaningful.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

I have the ocean waves animation in progress,it would be great to have a sound effect for the waves.

Regards
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

AxlTrozz: Is your temple tileset supposed to be used for CR1? It looks more desert-like to me. Is there a desert in CR1?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Not necessarily for CR1, but this is a song I dug up:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/misc/b ... 1.5min.mp3

School will preoccupy me until April-ish, but I'll be working steadily on stuff.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Crush wrote:AxlTrozz: Is your temple tileset supposed to be used for CR1? It looks more desert-like to me. Is there a desert in CR1?
No desert as far as I know on CR1, the temple reference was inspirational for the music development, not a request for music.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I am back, and done with school, I'm ready for making new tunes.

What needs to be done? I know that pixel art, mapping, etc, is going slowly, but if there is anything more musically that can be done, I'm up for it. Which of the previous tunes do you think need more work? What tunes are lacking?

For a temple tune, there was the comment that the organ made it sound too church-y. If I wrote a piece that included bells, choir, and harpsichord, how would that sound? (When I think of "temple," I often think of "church-y" anyways, unless you are talking about asian, or indian temples.)
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi saturn,

I have been thinking about it lately, and I wondered if some cool music for the login menu, or game introduction, would be missing (or not).

Also, do we have a 'boss' music?

Best regards.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Login music is an idea to work with, but not a big priority.

I'd go with individual music for dungeons (or even dungeon levels) and dungeon bosses. So far we have no dungeons done.
This message used to be meaningful.