Equipment reorganization

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Moiraine Damodred
Novice
Novice

Re: Equipment reorganization

Post by Moiraine Damodred »

Kage wrote:
Moiraine Damodred wrote:May I propose a lvl 99 only weapon?
Something that has a moderate damage bonus (so it's not overpowered) but with something like a +1 to all stats (to make it very desire-able?
actually... I only want to focus on levels 1-70 or 80.
Ok!

I have thought about the setup and have some remarks. My considerations regarding weapons:

Knife min. level: 1 damage: +5
Toy Sabre min. level: 3 damage: +3
Sharp Knife min. level: 5 damage: +8
Dagger min. level: 15 damage: +35 +1 Agility
Short Sword min. level: 32 damage: +50 +3 Agility
Sword min. level: 40 damage: +72
Long Sword min. level 48 damage: +86 defense: +4% range: 2
Bone Knife min. level 50 damage: +100 +16 Str
Setzer min. level 58 damage: +125 +20 Agility

Scythe min. level: 13 damage: +87 range: 2
Rock Knife min. level 50 damage: +189 +12 Strength

Bow min. level: 8 damage: +29 range: 5
Short Bow min. level: 18 damage: +37 range: 3 +2 Agility
Forest Bow min. level: 32 damage: +64 range: 5 +3 Agility, +5 Dex
Desert Bow min. level: 55 damage: +134 range: 5 +14 Dex

= min.level for bows has a good rhytm: +10, +14, +23 between the bows. damage and extra's look good.

= The only weapon that stands out to me is Toy Sabre. It seems to have no value in using unless it has hidden features (like faster attack speed).
I would suggest damage +3 and +1 agi to make it a bit more desirable. If "rare" actually means obtainable through an difficult quest I'd even suggest adding more damage to make it worth while getting. If "rare" means a low droprate from a monster I'd leave it as is (if you are lucky to find one you get a bit better leveling item but not alot better).

= Differences single hand weapons in levels: +2, +2, +10, +17, +8, +2, +8. There's a large gap between dagger and short sword. It might be more balanced to lower the min. level of short sword by 2. That would make it: +2, +2, +10, +15, +10, +2, +8.
== SIDENOTE: Bone knife and Setzer are exceptions to me: these are more like specialization weapons: you get to make a choice between strenght and speed. I would suggest to even out min.level of these 2 (both min.level 56 or so) . The quest for getting the setzer could be slightly altered and have the player get one of them without the ability to get both (remove the restat npc and that would force players to make a choice between agi and str).
It's just an idea and has nothing to do with these 2 weapons having weird requirements/bonusses. Just an idea :)

= From lvl 8 to 15 bow looks to be a bit overpowered compared to the 1 handed weapons. But(!) that could also be considered desirable: you do give up defense for using it and at low level low def is a killer anyways.

So basically I think only Toy Sabre might need some adjustment. Purely considering it is useless/not worth the effort in getting compared to knife with its +5 damage.
DarkLord
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkLord »

Is there anywhere that we can see what the new items will look like? (The ones that the graphics are already done)
Regards,
DarkLord

Occasionally playing TMW.

Running Windows 8.1 Pro, OS X Mavericks and Ubuntu 13.10
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Moiraine Damodred wrote:So basically I think only Toy Sabre might need some adjustment. Purely considering it is useless/not worth the effort in getting compared to knife with its +5 damage.
I did this intentionally, the toy sabre is meant more as a novelty item then anything else.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Moiraine Damodred
Novice
Novice

Post by Moiraine Damodred »

Kage wrote:
Moiraine Damodred wrote:So basically I think only Toy Sabre might need some adjustment. Purely considering it is useless/not worth the effort in getting compared to knife with its +5 damage.
I did this intentionally, the toy sabre is meant more as a novelty item then anything else.
That's cool too :D
Gotta keep those storage cloggers busy.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm going to throw in a really nice tool here: level segment analysis.

What do you do for the duration of a level range? How long does it take you? What you can obtain? How high can you boost yourself with equipment from richer players (munchkin effect and the prevention of it)? Is there enough, not enough or too much sensible content (equipment, quests, monsters) aimed at someone at this level range? Are the drop rates of stuff usable for this level range sensible? Is equipment dropped from sensible monsters level segment wise?

1 - 20?

20 - 30?

30 - 40?

40 - 50?

50 - 60?

60 - 70?

70 - 80?

80 - 90?

90+ ?

How much longer should each range take you to progress than the previous one? How much new content (monsters you can sensibly kill, equipment you can obtain, quests you can do) should there be per level range?

If someone would bother to do this for the current content, IMO it would help. Should prove to be far too heavy on stuff you _can_ do early on and beyond a certain point there'd be almost nothing.

Something to consider for an overhaul or improvement of any sort: how much gametime do you want it to take for progressing through a level range at a comfortable pace. Also, is there going to be enough variety for 100+ hours of gameplay? How many hours of comfortable and leisurely gameplay should it take before you reach the 90+? Should there be some sort of an endgame which you can only enter after you've reached there? How to keep players interested in such an endgame, if there is one? (PVP / ultimate item hunting in dungeons / something new never seen before?)

This is not the only way to think of things and this is not the ultimate, best or even necessarily a particularly good approach. More like food for thought.

Repeating myself: doing this analysis for the current content should provide you a ton of new ideas on where to improve and especially how to.
This message used to be meaningful.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

Hello

It took me with my first char 7 months to reach lvl 90 8 hours a day 6 days a week (yes i am tmw addicted :D )
with same time and day in game it took me 4 months to reach this level starting warrior full equiped and all items for quest (going in the same thoughts as yours should all items be buyable to reach a certain range or quest and so on issues linked to items (ej golden stinger is uniq get from get and linked to brew and link to setzer imho that's the greatest quest because of this).

these 8 hours are 5 hours 15 minutes fighting 45 minuts our travelling from one point to another and 2 hours socializing includes trade and so on helps or talking with friends and iddling

regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7