Using a soundtrack from a game :p

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Darkfangex
Peon
Peon

Using a soundtrack from a game :p

Post by Darkfangex »

I think you should use the soundtrack from a ps2 game called "Darkcoud 2" well it's my opinion and well when inside a house during gameplay the sound piece in that area is magnificent it's....AWSOME
on other notes when did all the darks appear? I remember being one of the first
to play as a dark in their names :p
!!!KEANE -EVERYBODYS CHANGING!!! my chosen song that I think fits my role in tmw :(
Moiraine Damodred
Novice
Novice

Re: Using a soundtrack from a game :p

Post by Moiraine Damodred »

When the owner of the song finds out about using that song TMW is royally screwed so that will never happen ;)

Oh you can add that particular song to your TMW install yourself: just rename it into one of the exisiting songs if you can get in or convert it to the .ogg format.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Darkfangex wrote:I think you should use the soundtrack from a ps2 game called "Darkcoud 2"
We can't because of copyright reasons.

When we use music without permission from the copyright holder it is a copyright infringement which can lead us into serious legal trouble, and we would like to avoid this.

Furthermore we want all TMW content to be licensed under the GNU General Public License by the creator.
on other notes when did all the darks appear? I remember being one of the first
to play as a dark in their names :p
Oh, come on. Every second kid puts the word "Dark" into his game nickname. It's really not that creative.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Crush wrote:Oh, come on. Every second kid puts the word "Dark" into his game nickname. It's really not that creative.
At this point it is beyond "not creative" and has fallen deeply into the category of "nauseating".
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

yeaa... call me DarkIru ;)
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I've always called you like this :)
Darkfangex
Peon
Peon

Post by Darkfangex »

Is it ok if I email the copyright holder and get permission then? Don't wanna go thru all the troubble to find out I can't
!!!KEANE -EVERYBODYS CHANGING!!! my chosen song that I think fits my role in tmw :(
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Darkfangex wrote:Is it ok if I email the copyright holder and get permission then? Don't wanna go thru all the troubble to find out I can't
Yes. If they let you use it under the GPL, then we might use it. Only the copyright holder can authorize this.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sure you can try, but when it is a commercial game it is very unlikely that we will get it for free.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Moiraine Damodred
Novice
Novice

Post by Moiraine Damodred »

Darkfangex wrote:Is it ok if I email the copyright holder and get permission then? Don't wanna go thru all the troubble to find out I can't
Tomohito Nishiura made it while he is employed by Level 5. So I guess Level 5 is the owner.

I see he also did the score for Rogue Galaxy. Excellent music. And Professor Layton And The Last Time Travel. And White Knight Chronicles.
I have had some excellent fun with these 3 games.

I do not think you will even get a reply on a request like that. They would open a can of licensing troubles.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I think we should make our own music. Even if whoever made the stuff let us use it (never in a millllion years), I wouldn't want to. Not that it's my game, obviously, but if it were - I wouldn't.

Also, I request a username change to "Dark Man".
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

On this particular type of a licensing deal, I'd like to have it on paper and from the legal presentation of the rights holder.
This message used to be meaningful.