My topic

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

stava
Novice
Novice

Re: My topic

Post by stava »

Alright, finished the Naga. xD
Image Full sheet
Animated:
Image Walking (front)
Image Walking (left side)
Image Walking (right side)
Image Walking (behind)
Image Attacking (front)
Image Attacking (left side)
Image Attacking (right side)
Image Attacking (behind)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The sprite grid needs to be consistent (ie: each frame is the same width and height).
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

jaxad0127 wrote:The sprite grid needs to be consistent (ie: each frame is the same width and height).
Oh I didn't know this..
But how am I going to make all the frames same width and height, it would look stupid, the weapon would look like a toy, and the tail would have to be small :/

Or I didn't understand? xD
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Some helpful soul could show him an example: way faster and better of a way to learn than explaining.

Essentially it's just more space between the frames on the spritesheet. Make a grid into which the biggest one fits and then center all of them. This way we can tell the client how to display it correctly.

Also, if you like making monsters, you are more than welcome to do as many as you want to.
This message used to be meaningful.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Rotonen wrote:Some helpful soul could show him an example: way faster and better of a way to learn than explaining.

Essentially it's just more space between the frames on the spritesheet. Make a grid into which the biggest one fits and then center all of them. This way we can tell the client how to display it correctly.

Also, if you like making monsters, you are more than welcome to do as many as you want to.
Oh now I understand xD
I didn't really pay attention to grid. Since I'm not sure how to do it for this game, I though somebody with more experience could do it for me this time? :?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Your preview animations have it nicely. We also need a transparent background.
Lutzifer
Peon
Peon

Post by Lutzifer »

Are you sure this is 100% your own work and GPL and not redrawn from a copyrighted work. The body looks very similar to this.
Attachments
056-CCaela Farren, Ph.D., is President of MasteryWorks - a leading Career Development solution to large to ... Monster - All Rights Reserved - U.S. Patent No. ...aela.png
056-CCaela Farren, Ph.D., is President of MasteryWorks - a leading Career Development solution to large to ... Monster - All Rights Reserved - U.S. Patent No. ...aela.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Lutzifer wrote:Are you sure this is 100% your own work and GPL and not redrawn from a copyrighted work. The body looks very similar to this.
Yeah I was looking at something alike that while doing it, but not exactly that one xD
Since it was my 1st time doing a snake, I wasn't really sure (I might have made it look to much alike or something)
I can redo it some more, but I don't think they look anything alike actually.
And the snake is from RPG maker XP I believe, so if you are allowed to make games using their work, I believe you are allowed to make something alike..
Lutzifer
Peon
Peon

Post by Lutzifer »

Well IMHO I think it looks like you took the sprite from RPG maker recolored it and cut off the head and pasted a new one on along with a weapon. The color style gives it away as the head and trident have more saturation than the body as well as the all black outline. The spacing on the sprite sheet may have been changed some but if you look closely your sprite has boobs as well that were meant for the female version above it. Makes me wonder about the rest of your work posted here...
Attachments
boobslol.png
boobslol.png (34.99 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Lutzifer wrote:Well IMHO I think it looks like you took the sprite from RPG maker recolored it and cut off the head and pasted a new one on along with a weapon. The color style gives it away as the head and trident have more saturation than the body as well as the all black outline. The spacing on the sprite sheet may have been changed some but if you look closely your sprite has boobs as well that were meant for the female version above it.
Not really..
Okay so, it was like 5 AM when I was doing the sprite, so I couldn't do the tail good, so I just redid the one on the Snake sprite or whatever from RPG MAKER XP (you are allowed to use their work - I didn't steal Chocolate Cupcake.) Top is mostly TMW male sprite, theres no boobs, it's shaded just like TMW male sprite (At the chest)

But then again, you are allowed to use RPGMakerXP work, so why are you making big deal out of this..
I made all the rest stuff I posted by myself, this is only thing I couldn't figure since it was 5 AM, however the 2 monsters you are showing don't look anything alike except the tail part, but I think even if I redid the tail, it still wouldn't make big difference..
The monster doesn't have to be used in TMW anyway, I don't really care.. I can still help with the other stuff such as player-set and making equipment and new monsters (Without any remakes and stuff)

What are you trying to prove anyway?
Lutzifer
Peon
Peon

Post by Lutzifer »

stava wrote:
Lutzifer wrote:Well IMHO I think it looks like you took the sprite from RPG maker recolored it and cut off the head and pasted a new one on along with a weapon. The color style gives it away as the head and trident have more saturation than the body as well as the all black outline. The spacing on the sprite sheet may have been changed some but if you look closely your sprite has boobs as well that were meant for the female version above it.
Not really..
Okay so, it was like 5 AM when I was doing the sprite, so I couldn't do the tail good, so I just redid the one on the Snake sprite or whatever from RPG MAKER XP (you are allowed to use their work - I didn't steal ****.) Top is mostly TMW male sprite, theres no boobs, it's shaded just like TMW male sprite (At the chest)

But then again, you are allowed to use RPGMakerXP work, so why are you making big deal out of this..
I made all the rest stuff I posted by myself, this is only thing I couldn't figure since it was 5 AM, however the 2 monsters you are showing don't look anything alike except the tail part, but I think even if I redid the tail, it still wouldn't make big difference..
The monster doesn't have to be used in TMW anyway, I don't really care.. I can still help with the other stuff such as player-set and making equipment and new monsters (Without any remakes and stuff)

Nothing to prove I just don't like people to pass off work as their own regardless if it's an open license. (due to the license it is still unethical to take credit) If you reworked it just say so and if you reworked it from a artist that requires credit in your rework then do so. Pixel artist spend a good deal of time on their art and creations and deserve credit to not have someone say it is their work regardless if it is a open license or not.

I could care less what time you reworked it the only thing I am concerned about is the integrity of this game. If the license of the sprite you took the tail from is not compatible with GPL and gets added to the game you risk the integrity and future of this game and project. And for what? That is what the big deal is about. Now that being said I am no authority to tell you that you can or can't work on the project it is open source. And you are of sound mind and body i presume to make your own decisions.

Just remember to give credit where credit is due. If for instance I took one of your works and posted on a different open source game that it was my creation I'm sure you would be a little miffed. If you can't understand that then you are not a artist.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Great, I thought we would have a promising new pixel artist and now it turns out it's another copycat who can't do anything without ripping off other peoples work and who is not even admitting it unless forced.

Taking other peoples work is not just legally dangerous (I haven't seen a written statement from Enterbrain yet which allows anyone to use their stuff for any purpose, not just their customers to use it with their products). We are trying to create something new here, not just throw together a bunch of overused graphics people have seen over a thousand times.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Lutzifer wrote:
stava wrote:
Not really..
Okay so, it was like 5 AM when I was doing the sprite, so I couldn't do the tail good, so I just redid the one on the Snake sprite or whatever from RPG MAKER XP (you are allowed to use their work - I didn't steal ****.) Top is mostly TMW male sprite, theres no boobs, it's shaded just like TMW male sprite (At the chest)

Nothing to prove I just don't like people to pass off work as their own regardless if it's an open license. (due to the license it is still unethical to take credit) If you reworked it just say so and if you reworked it from a artist that requires credit in your rework then do so. Pixel artist spend a good deal of time on their art and creations and deserve credit to not have someone say it is their work regardless if it is a open license or not.

I could care less what time you reworked it the only thing I am concerned about is the integrity of this game. If the license of the sprite you took the tail from is not compatible with GPL and gets added to the game you risk the integrity and future of this game and project. And for what? That is what the big deal is about. Now that being said I am no authority to tell you that you can or can't work on the project it is open source. And you are of sound mind and body i presume to make your own decisions.

Just remember to give credit where credit is due. If for instance I took one of your works and posted on a different open source game that it was my creation I'm sure you would be a little miffed. If you can't understand that then you are not a artist.
I don't know who made it..
I didn't actually COPY it, I took it as reference..
Whole idea is different and all, I just couldn't do the tail right so I used his as sample how to do it..
But alright, heres his credit (whoever it was) for using it as reference..
I don't wanna discuss or argue anymore, I don't want the naga to be used in TMW, and that's the end. I'll make something else without looking how somebody else made it. I'm sorry for causing such problems.
Please don't reply anything that might continue the discussion argue call it how you like..
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Crush wrote:Great, I thought we would have a promising new pixel artist and now it turns out it's another copycat who can't do anything without ripping off other peoples work and who is not even admitting it unless forced.

Taking other peoples work is not just legally dangerous (I haven't seen a written statement from Enterbrain yet which allows anyone to use their stuff for any purpose, not just their customers to use it with their products). We are trying to create something new here, not just throw together a bunch of overused graphics people have seen over a thousand times.
Suit yourself.
And I am not a copycat, I just used it as damn reference..
I never said it has to be used in the game. It's your choice or whoever.
I can still help you by making stuff I won't use reference for, I'm sorry for causing this problem..
Again please don't continue the argue/discussion.
Lutzifer
Peon
Peon

Post by Lutzifer »

stava wrote: Please don't reply anything that might continue the discussion argue call it how you like..
Sure whatever you say I will keep it under my hat.
Last edited by Lutzifer on 27 Feb 2010, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.