My topic

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

stava
Novice
Novice

Re: My topic

Post by stava »

Lutzifer wrote:
stava wrote: Please don't reply anything that might continue the discussion argue call it how you like..
Sure kid whatever you say I will keep it under my hat.
Ehh, okay. I guess I am a 20 year old kid..
If I just started this game, it doesn't make me a kid nor a bad pixel artist.
I used somebody's work as reference, okay. That doesn't make me a bad pixel artist.
Also your friend says I can't do "Anything" yet this is one of first things I ever used reference for.
Are you guys even trying to understand difference between STEALING and using as reference, I guess no.
I didn't wanna work on this game. I just wanted to help out with some creativity.. And you guys rage at me because I used somebody's artwork as reference, give it a break. It's not only thing I ever did and it won't be the last.. After all it's hard to even notice where it looks same, because even at "copying" I messed up somewhere, I could fix but I didn't want it to look even more stolen.
Then at end you call me a kid, yet you make such big deal out of this crap, it's simple to fix it. How about this way, DON'T use the damn naga. Woow hard huh?
And you just ignore all the work I did before.
staffcarguy
Peon
Peon

Post by staffcarguy »

Lutzifer wrote:
stava wrote:
Lutzifer wrote:Well IMHO I think it looks like you took the sprite from RPG maker recolored it and cut off the head and pasted a new one on along with a weapon. The color style gives it away as the head and trident have more saturation than the body as well as the all black outline. The spacing on the sprite sheet may have been changed some but if you look closely your sprite has boobs as well that were meant for the female version above it.
Not really..
Okay so, it was like 5 AM when I was doing the sprite, so I couldn't do the tail good, so I just redid the one on the Snake sprite or whatever from RPG MAKER XP (you are allowed to use their work - I didn't steal ****.) Top is mostly TMW male sprite, theres no boobs, it's shaded just like TMW male sprite (At the chest)

But then again, you are allowed to use RPGMakerXP work, so why are you making big deal out of this..
I made all the rest stuff I posted by myself, this is only thing I couldn't figure since it was 5 AM, however the 2 monsters you are showing don't look anything alike except the tail part, but I think even if I redid the tail, it still wouldn't make big difference..
The monster doesn't have to be used in TMW anyway, I don't really care.. I can still help with the other stuff such as player-set and making equipment and new monsters (Without any remakes and stuff)

What are you trying to prove anyway?
Nothing to prove I just don't like people to pass off work as their own regardless if it's an open license. (due to the license it is still unethical to take credit) If you reworked it just say so and if you reworked it from a artist that requires credit in your rework then do so. Pixel artist spend a good deal of time on their art and creations and deserve credit to not have someone say it is their work regardless if it is a open license or not.

I could care less what time you reworked it the only thing I am concerned about is the integrity of this game. If the license of the sprite you took the tail from is not compatible with GPL and gets added to the game you risk the integrity and future of this game and project. And for what? That is what the big deal is about. Now that being said I am no authority to tell you that you can or can't work on the project it is open source. And you are of sound mind and body i presume to make your own decisions.

Just remember to give credit where credit is due. If for instance I took one of your works and posted on a different open source game that it was my creation I'm sure you would be a little miffed. If you can't understand that then you are not a artist.
Nobody likes there art stolen but what's wrong with using it as a reference? i mean they clearly don't look a like at all except for the tail Which it differs in all areas it just resembles.

References help people learn and help them improve and if you honestly felt they resemble to much you could have been polite and said it resembles and should probably be re-done so it would have its own unique look. But no you had to fly off with accusations and assumptions and be very rude about it.

There is no excuse for acting like you did and it isn't your work so flying off the handle "For the integrity of the game" is a stupid reason to be a dick to someone.

The artwork itself is good but if you ran an art school where nobody could use any reference then nobody would learn anything.

You're attitude torwards artists that actually accomplish something is just appalling.

You should lay off because you don't care for the integrity for the game or for the quality of the works of the community if anything, your self righteous attitude and assumptions that others are unworthy of this two bit piece of 5 minutes of coding piece of crap is what brings down the fibers of any good community, you are the repellent to decensy itself.

Stop degrading your community or stop being a part of the community if you want to do the game some good.
Lutzifer
Peon
Peon

Post by Lutzifer »

Kid, Dude, Man it's just an expression relax. I would continue the discussion to explain in further about the difference between using artwork/graphics in a program with copyrights vs taking that specific artwork and using it in your own software and how that can lead to lawsuits etc. But I will only add this post and hope you read up about licenses to understand the danger of using even one pixel from someone else's work. You may want to read about this as well if not for your own sake and art. There is no rage here and Crush and I are not friends ganging up on you as you are insinuating. As I said before I don't care if you contribute or not as long as you don't try to contribute graphics without compatible licenses that jeopardize the whole project for everyone. There is not a gray area here to understand they must have compatible licenses. As you are clearly upset I will leave it at that till you calm down. Again I respect your request to not post again on the subject but this is a open forum. If you want to have the topic locked please ask a admin to do so.

Oh btw I like the sockpuppet :P
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Could some admin delete all these posts about my naga together with the naga, and I'll make something new without references. Again I'm sorry to cause problems, didn't know it's not allowed to use Rpg Maker Xp work as reference..
End of discussion.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Of course you may use a reference. But there is a difference between using something as a reference and copying from it.

Using a reference means looking at someone else's work, trying to find out what techniques were used to archive what effects, and then trying to apply the same techniques to an own work.

Not copy&pasting, changing the colors and calling it your work.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Well, heres a new monster I did, with small help of Tyler (My friend I used to work with on another game) :wink:

stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Can somebody animate this in 2 pictures:
1 should have all the frames
other should have only last 2
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Now I'm not saying coincidences don't happen... But When you have large groups of pixels that have the exact 100% same colors (no difference in hues or anything) and 100% identical structures something is very wrong.
its a rip.png
its a rip.png (4.46 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
staffcarguy
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Len on 28 Feb 2010, 20:19, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Len wrote:Now I'm not saying coincidences don't happen... But When you have large groups of pixels that have the exact 100% same colors (no difference in hues or anything) and identical structures something is very wrong.
its a rip.png
Ok why are you bringing this up again.. I didn't know you aren't allowed to redo their work, ok?
I've asked all these posts to be delete together with the naga.
Sookill
Peon
Peon

Post by Sookill »

stava wrote:
Len wrote:Now I'm not saying coincidences don't happen... But When you have large groups of pixels that have the exact 100% same colors (no difference in hues or anything) and identical structures something is very wrong.
its a rip.png
Ok why are you bringing this up again.. I didn't know you aren't allowed to redo their work, ok?
That's why you read the rules before posting ;D.
And maybe at-least link us up with the URL that contains the art-work that you originally found/stole/used from , and give some credit, instead of trying to fool them into it!.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Sookill wrote:
stava wrote:
its a rip.png
That's why you read the rules before posting ;D.
And maybe at-least link us up with the URL that contains the art-work that you originally found/stole/used from , and give some credit, instead of trying to fool them into it!.
I don't really want the discussion to continue, 2 pages is enough.. :|
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Stava, I am honestly going to believe that maybe you did make a mistake.

I suggest that you start a new thread.

Also... If you do use any source AT ALL as a reference, idea, or anything else... I would like you to post it, so we can compare similarity.

If your caught copying existing art, or if you are caught using a reference not cited... I (along with many other developers) will most likely not trust any art you can't show creation step by step.

To everyone else: He has admitted to copying the image, drop it.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Kage wrote:Stava, I am honestly going to believe that maybe you did make a mistake.

I suggest that you start a new thread.

Also... If you do use any source AT ALL as a reference, idea, or anything else... I would like you to post it, so we can compare similarity.

If your caught copying existing art, or if you are caught using a reference not cited... I (along with many other developers) will most likely not trust any art you can't show creation step by step.

To everyone else: He has admitted to copying the image, drop it.
I really didn't know I wasn't allowed to do that.. It'll never happen again.
I'm sorry.
And I don't think starting a new thread would make any difference.. xD
People should just get over it and try being mature.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I'm locking this. Start a new thread for new art.