Hitpoints

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

It's a good idea to try something original, but I have to agree that perhaps a gradient fill is not the way to do it.. Some other texture and detailing could work better. (Also I don't think you're restricted to the size of the font, so change it if you feel it's appropriate and would produce a better quality font.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Note that in the development version (to be 0.0.17) I've improved the damagefonts similarly to the chat font, making the shadow a bit translucent:

(links to current versions, so if they changed they're not referring to what I used to refer to anymore)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

From The Gamers, by Dead Gentlement Productions:
Nimble (Shocked): "The Shadow?"
Ambrose (Scared): "The Shadow?"
Newmoon (Resolved): "The Shadow."
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Just another random useless idea...
Think it'd look cool if when the player hit the monster, the number shot out of the monster to the opposite direction it was hit from with the numbers simultaneously fading away the farther they got from the monster? Hard to explain but it might look neat.
player->Hit->(monster)->fading numbers
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Oh well later we will introduce some more effects I guess, something like numbers gets bigger the more is the damage, or just animated numbers, or moving ones, let's see what will happen in the future... :roll:
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ultim wrote:Think it'd look cool if when the player hit the monster, the number shot out of the monster to the opposite direction it was hit from with the numbers simultaneously fading away the farther they got from the monster?
I like the idea. We could add a little randomiser so it shoots out in a slightly different direction each time. Like this:
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Haha, your drawing rules :)
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

yeah, nice drawing :)
but i think the current method's fine, as we only have one or two numbers at a time. yours would be better if there were -lots- of numbers emitting from a monster at a given time, but i think not many players are attacking that fast...
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Well maybe you will have a special skill to hit tree times in a row and you will need it...
degen
Novice
Novice

and dont forget group humping !

Post by degen »

with the choose of subject... yes ... well what i meen is when more than 1 person is attacking the target it could be needed as well (or when that is implented) like when fighting in groups.

And just a thought is it possible to (when "grouping" is added) have "grey" or some other color for group members attakcs (or killstealers if thats possible at the moment).

And the gradient could work (it was very hard, atleast for me, to even see the numbers) but i think i ahve seen that before and i like the thought of having gradient figures.

(ooh hehehe forgot to add, awesome drawing Modanung! i liked that one :D )
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

They don't have to all pop out at once... it just was concept art, and concept art is devoid of any time structure. Very good too, thanks for working the idea Modanung. Randomizing sounds great. And why don't we have mallets in the game? Maaaaario got one! Why can't iiiii have one?!
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

If it's up to me, we're definitely going to have a Helbreath-ish system where the font gets larger and more rugged when the amount of damage dealt damage grows.

The variation of direction could be limited to special skills for the sake of clarity and readability. If you can prove me wrong, feel free to do so.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Why limit it? Is the jaded pop-out-the-top-of-the-head method more worthy? i heard a game developer of a current title talking about how his game is good because it's getting away from that style (among other reasons). It may just be pretty important to put a fresh spin on it.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

We'll have to experiment on what looks the best.