[CPT][WIP]Giant Squid

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

[CPT][WIP]Giant Squid

Post by Balthazaar »

This is a real rough drawing / concept I am working on for a giant squid. Possible smaller squids as well. I still have to make the basic shape in the right perspective again this is just a really rough sketch. The colors might change as well. I will try to post regular updates on it for input as my time allows. I thought it might be a nice creature to have in or around beach areas.
Attachments
gntsquidcpt.png
gntsquidcpt.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [CPT][WIP]Giant Squid

Post by bcs86 »

Great, wonderful. This can be taken at a pace until there are better habitats for it, I'm seeing this being implemented alongside the Tritans somehow. I could pitch-in.

looking for more examples...

Wikipedia: Giant Squid
Out of water they are quite noodley. They have more appendages than octopods.
Most iRL pictures of them are of dead ones. The fabled illustrations have something
particularly this.

Wikipedia: Squid
Squids have shorter tentacles and do more swimming than octopods.

Wikipedia: Octopus
iRL Octopods camouflage. They seem a lot less strict to draw because they can be all sorts of shapes, one of the photos show an octopus leaving the water.

Wesnoth: Cuttle Fish
Wesnoth has this type of monster too. Always making it difficult to cross waters.

Wikipedia: Cthulhu
Cthulhu has the context of a monster rather than an innocent angry sea creature.

I'm thinking of something about 112x112 which is quite a bit bigger than the player's canvas, but X and Y mean very little when we are working on depth.

I'm imagining a "giant squid" that has a bigger area along the ends of at least 4 tentacles that will act as "feet" in case we need it to leave the water.

Tiny evil pupils that we people will recognize as scary rather than the natural eyes, and with some brow curve to further add to the "evil" sense. maybe a nose tentacle too.

OKie here's some additional concept work
entarte-octopus.png
This can't do much except point progress in a direction away from making generic squid monsters.

Once the idea is nailed down we do some outlining of a sprite animation with a 45 degree camera angle.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

I did this really fast, about 5 mins xD
It's just a sketch of my idea about the squid
If you like it you can use it :wink:

Sorry if you don't like when somebody butts in your work :(
Attachments
Giant Squid.PNG
Giant Squid.PNG (4.22 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

stava wrote:Sorry if you don't like when somebody butts in your work :(
PLEASE butt in as much as you possibly can. Maybe then this won't disappear under a stack of other WIPs and be forgotten.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

bcs86 wrote:Great, wonderful. This can be taken at a pace until there are better habitats for it, I'm seeing this being implemented alongside the Tritans somehow. I could pitch-in.
We could give it a temporaty habitat at the beach west of Tulimshar, though.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

bcs86 wrote: I'm imagining a "giant squid" that has a bigger area along the ends of at least 4 tentacles that will act as "feet" in case we need it to leave the water.
Great that's kinda what I had envisioned that it would be able to walk around on the beaches. Thanks for the info as well and links that will help for some references. I'm not planning on going anywhere so it won't disappear in the stack of [WIP]s it is only limited by the time I have to work on it and my skill level as I am still learning as I go.

@stava no worries about butting in that's why we have this forum I wouldn't have posted it if I was worried about people helping. The more input the better so we can nail down the ideas before the rough perspective sketch and rough animation.

@crush indeed would be a good place to try it out

on a side note I was thinking about a similar one that sets in the water but only the tentacles come out on the beach and hit the player till they lop them off. It would be half hidden only seeing maybe the eyes and top of the head and of course the tentacles. But I will focus on the land walking version first.
Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Post by Cotillion »

Balthazaar wrote: on a side note I was thinking about a similar one that sets in the water but only the tentacles come out on the beach and hit the player till they lop them off. It would be half hidden only seeing maybe the eyes and top of the head and of course the tentacles. But I will focus on the land walking version first.
Reminds me of
screenshot.03-03-2010 13.11.30.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WITWGWLOTR.jpg
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Balthazaar wrote:
on a side note I was thinking about a similar one that sets in the water but only the tentacles come out on the beach and hit the player till they lop them off. It would be half hidden only seeing maybe the eyes and top of the head and of course the tentacles. But I will focus on the land walking version first.
Endless Online used the same idea for their Octopus..
I think it would be cool if we had under water maps, where this squid would be found.. And it would be interesting to make sprites for it.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

stava wrote:
Balthazaar wrote:
Endless Online used the same idea for their Octopus..
I think it would be cool if we had under water maps, where this squid would be found.. And it would be interesting to make sprites for it.
Eventually.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Here is shaded version xD
Attachments
Giant Squid Shaded.PNG
Giant Squid Shaded.PNG (6.17 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

stava wrote:Here is shaded version xD
good, except that light comes from wrong direction. (e.g. the main squid body)
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

yosuhara wrote:
good, except that light comes from wrong direction.
Ahh I though the light comes from left? :?
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

stava wrote:
yosuhara wrote:
good, except that light comes from wrong direction.
Ahh I though the light comes from left? :?
South-west to be precise :)
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

yosuhara wrote:
South-west to be precise :)
Ahh sorry, still not used to this game xD
I'm only used to ISO games, since I started pixeling..
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

Yes but let's not put the cart before the horse shading doesn't matter yet this is still a concept. Before any shading texture is applied the animation needs to be worked on and proper perspective. It is easiest to do this before texture and shading are done and will save time and effort. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with something a little more ominous and less on the cute side.

Some variations I am looking at
squidvariations.png
squidvariations.png (118.11 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
I am kinda liking 5,8 and 12. Or maybe a mix. Although 4 is interesting and has an alien like quality.