CR1 subproject reports thread

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

CR1 subproject reports thread

Post by Rotonen »

So, I'm going to make Sunday the official report day of subprojects. Starting March 7th. I'll be expecting updates from the subproject managers.

An update of "nothing happened because no one did anything" is a very good report since it tells me what is going on. Especially if reasons are given.

I'll start with what is my current understanding of the prevailing situation for CR1:

Tileset/mapping:
Tileset progress is very slow. General design of the tutorial island is rather well defined, though. What we seem to be lacking here is manpower, but on the other hand that could cause consistency control issues. Mapping cannot be started until the base tilesets are done and currently the focus seems to be on objects for the tilesets while we have not yet decided on what we're going to use for most of the the ground tiles.

Meway's hyperactivity in ~everything has left his beach project untouched for quite a while. There was some complaint about him not receiving proper feedback to be able to properly continue with that.

AxlTrozz - iru - IvanMorve <- All three quite busy. Anyone else interested? Do contact AxlTrozz!

Soundscape:
Theme composing is on hold until the backdrop (as in mapping and hence tileset work) gets more defined. SFX work could be done, but yet again it is held back by the lack of monsters (held back by the backdrop missing). Generic player related foley sounds and surefire environmental effects could be experimented with, but the playerset is also rather incomplete. It's hard to work blind.

Saturn - Feline Monstrosity <- Eager, but limited by their surroundings.

Playerset:
Fother seems to be alive, but not really around. Bcs is fed up with our scene and environment so he seems to be out of the question too. Meway's playerset has not shown any promise so far.

We need help on this one.

Gameplay design:

Nothing done for quite a while. This one will probably be far easier when we can set up dev.themanaworld.org (blocked by almost everything) and go about and explore the intended experience.

So, if I forgot something, do notify. If you feel any need to comment, please do so.
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: CR1 subproject reports thread

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Rotonen wrote:Gameplay design:

Nothing done for quite a while. This one will probably be far easier when we can set up dev.themanaworld.org (blocked by almost everything) and go about and explore the intended experience.
We could do basic design with the eathena data (like the testing server runs).
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Note that I won't be doing any composition work at all until I get a new computer this summer (I hope). It'll be late summer, maybe even september when I get it. There's nothing to stop me from making sound effects but I'm not very good at them (yet) and I'm not sure what's needed.
~Feline Monstrosity
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

feb 28 2010

CR1 Graphics Report
Because this is the first report I'll include previous weeks od work just the set the initial milestone, but next week will only be the advance (or not) on this one.

There is not much I can report due to real world situations, but here what we can report,

1. Irukard made a very nice roadmap/status wiki article where you can see the overall process progress :
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... GFX_status

2. Ivanmore :
2.1 The bizantine walls in a very TMW particular style, very nice indeed.
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5194/wall00.png Top side and a few variations are missing, but perspective, color and tileability are ok.
2.2 Also Ivanmore made a fantastic windmill

3. I'm on the Cliff tileset,
2.1 Grass (done but awaiting revision)
2.2 wet sand (done but awaiting revision)
2.1 Cliffs (in progress, 70% done) still lack of variations and also I'm trying to give a bit more 45o deg. view.
2.2 I have one or two small projects for any interested so I'll post them on the public forum

4. Meway
from my point of view Meway is still working on the beach additions, but he had mention other couple different things so will see if this week we have any new.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

AxlTrozz - iru - IvanMorve <- All three quite busy. Anyone else interested? Do contact AxlTrozz!
Well I have been quite busy with things as well. It would help If I knew what was left with proper feed back on that specific subject... Things that need to be created.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Don't count me out. For the playerset you can see that Stava has stepped all over the work I was doing and seems to be getting it out of the way.

Fother is probably not ready to give reports. He would have to catch up on things that he has missed, and his laptop was stolen with his progress.

As I've said elsewhere this has been more of a learning experience than a productive one. I have been trying hard to give something to this CR. I need to practice more and get to where it doesn't take so long to make sprites.

I told you that I wouldn't post WIP, but maybe I should. The aim was to have something finished else nothing, but by posting WIP it allows the other artists to feel less alone. The more activity others see here the more they will want to be active.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

I told you that I wouldn't post WIP, but maybe I should. The aim was to have something finished else nothing, but by posting WIP it allows the other artists to feel less alone. The more activity others see here the more they will want to be active.
:arrow: I agree with you bcs86, and even more: With everyone's experience, the WIP posting will make some little mistakes be catched up earlier, and the work made so far is at least more safely guarded.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

meway wrote:
Well I have been quite busy with things as well. It would help If I knew what was left with proper feed back on that specific subject... Things that need to be created.
Meway,

Beach additions is your main goal, also we have the sick tree pending for CR1, but if you want to create new things try anything that you can find between a Dock and small town (IvanMore is working on the buildings and academy) Like arcs, stones, signs, statues, small bridges, flowers (not gardens)...and so on.

If is possible send me a report every friday or saturday so I can post here the Subproject report on Sundays.

Regards
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I take it not much happened past week besides playerset frames getting done.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

bcs86 wrote:Don't count me out. For the playerset you can see that Stava has stepped all over the work I was doing and seems to be getting it out of the way.
saying that he stepped all over the work is a little unfair. at least he is showing us something.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Indeed, I'm very happy that Stava is able to do it. It's been too difficult for me.

There's one other thing to report about the playerset, though I don't have Fother's permission to repeat his words from the art channel. So, Rotonen, if you missed it, you should PM him to learn what route he might take. Let's keep the pressure off of him though.

I'm sorry about how I mentioned Stava's work. He is doing us all a very big favor. I don't want Stava to feel pressured.

Everyone: Please don't ask Stava to make transparent BGs or to use a different pixel editor. The white backgrounds are easy to remove and the semi-transparent anti-aliasing pixels are easy to put back.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

If I conclude properly, not much done last week.

At least people still seem interested and motivated and there is slight momentum towards getting new workforce for the CR project.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

So last week there was some progress on the playerset and we have some nice roof tile tiles from IvanMorve.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Last week I was on a work trip to Greece, but it seems not much happened.

There is some new interest in the backstory of CR1 and hence in the quests.

Also the gamesystem front shows slight signs of life again.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

real life is hitting my progress really hard, sorry about that, my heart is with the project but for now I'm not able to progress or develop much, I will resume the work ASAP