Character Interdependence

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Shainen
Novice
Novice

Character Interdependence

Post by Shainen »

HI,
I've been playing about 6 weeks now and its a lot of fun thanks :D I have had some very helpful GMs & higher level players move me along when I'm stuck. I've come to a point where i now have a few questions to post here that would be appropriate in feedback.
I've noticed higher level Mage characters hitting skulls with spells inflicting >500 damage. Playing my Warrior character can I ever hope to inflict that kind of damage? If so I'd assume there are weapons that I can work towards obtaining yet the Setzer requires me to be a Mage to obtain because of Monster Oil? If I can never hope to match the damage a Mage inflicts I can see why many would abandon the warrior for mage ultimately which is unfortunate. Weapons which are difficult for a mage to wield would make sense after all as a Warrior I divert my points away from Intelligence greatly limiting my magic skills. There should be some interdependence which encourages diverse partie questing together. Why would a mage want me to occupy hordes for them when they can just hang out at the entrance of Hurnscald mine and hit skulls to level up, no hordes there. My goal was to build up a warrior that could assist the Mage and Archer though I'm just not seeing where they would need me at all :? . Are there locations in magic quests that a Mage can't get to without warriors in the party? Will there be weapons in future development available?
Thanks again for this great open source game, I'll continue to have fun with it. :)
[Phaeton]
Peon
Peon

Re: Character Interdependence

Post by [Phaeton] »

Playing my Warrior character can I ever hope to inflict that kind of damage?
No, a sword with that much damage is not obtainable at the moment.
If so I'd assume there are weapons that I can work towards obtaining yet the Setzer requires me to be a Mage to obtain because of Monster Oil?
Everybody can brew monster oil, you don't have to be a mage. The quest can be found at the old mining camp, north of hurnscald. There are always people around who are able to help you with brewing monster oil.
Are there locations in magic quests that a Mage can't get to without warriors in the party?
No, but it always depends on the amount of your charcter level, but every quest is doable for a lonely mage.
Will there be weapons in future development available?
I don not see any reason why not.

Hopefully these answers are helpful.

Yours,
Phaeton
Last edited by [Phaeton] on 09 Mar 2010, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Don't jump to conclusions.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Shainen wrote:I've noticed higher level Mage characters hitting skulls with spells inflicting >500 damage. Playing my Warrior character can I ever hope to inflict that kind of damage?
Keep in mind that spells are not free. A warrior character does less damage per attack, but does constantly so.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

Shainen wrote:I can work towards obtaining yet the Setzer requires me to be a Mage to obtain because of Monster Oil?
When you are lvl 60 and have the items. I will help you get the setzer. It is quite easy.
Shainen
Novice
Novice

Post by Shainen »

[Phaeton] - Thankyou for the response, that does help.
Crush wrote:Keep in mind that spells are not free.
I see; so at some point the Mage needs more raw materials rather than just recharging runes, that makes sense.
Crush wrote: A warrior character does less damage per attack, but does constantly so.
Yes true, I can lay down 700 damage in 5 hits on a snake but with a dex of 78 against a skull its,"miss miss miss......then 80 of damage, miss miss miss LOL :lol: I suppose with time.....

thedarkfinder Thankyou, I do have the items and I'm level 62. Maybe some more herbs would be good. The BoneKnife has been great.

Just want to point out I didn't mean any offense about "hanging out at the mine entrance, hitting skulls" The mages there have been very nice and heal me frequently when I'm up on the ledge attacking hordes. I simply thought it would be really fun to have scenarios where a mage requires seeking out help from other classes to complete a goal; thus encouraging the party system.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

A lot of the eA TMW monsters break basic RO gameplay mechanics by having insanely high levels on the monsters. You cannot for example use AGI properly to build a dodge character: even if you have a lvl 255 character with 255 AGI, you cannot 95% dodge the strongest monsters.
This message used to be meaningful.