Screwed up my account - Is there hope

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
MisterB
Peon
Peon

Screwed up my account - Is there hope

Post by MisterB »

I was registering a new account and without thinking chose the same username I had created pre-online registration days (the one I mainly used) and the account was created. Obviously when I tried to log in again, it wouldn't accept the old password. I used the new password and all the characters were gone. Am I doomed or can something be done. Fortunately, I realized what I had done and since I was still logged in with that account, I traded all my items to my other character, but being stupid, i forgot the money. I would like to get my main character back if possible, I play as Deth. Man do I feel stupid and very tired now. :oops:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Screwed up my account - Is there hope

Post by Crush »

Is it really possible to "overwrite" an account with the web frontend? I doubt that.

The behavior you are describing sounds more like you created a new account.

When you are really sure that you used the name of an existing account, you should know that unused accounts are deleted after six months. Afterwards a new account with the same name can be registered. But this doesn't fit with your description that you were logged in with the old account at that moment.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I agree, you didn't delete your account, we did.

We have to do this because the server we use, uses flat files (text files). And so it has to rewrite the entire file every few minutes.

When you have tens of thousands of records, this is a huge drag on the system.

So every so often we delete unused accounts (not been used in more then 6 months) to speed up the system.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
MisterB
Peon
Peon

Post by MisterB »

I used the account yesterday and almost every day for the last few months. I went to create a new account and without thinking used the same user name. I checked to see which username I was using and they were the same. I told ilikerc in game that I was worried and began to transfer stuff. After I moved my items, I exited the client and tried to log back in. I could not log back in without using the password I specified with the new account registration. I wouldn't have thought that I could create an account with the same name but I swear it happened.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I just tested trying to create a account with a existing name, this is what I got.
Attachments
reg.png
reg.png (42.7 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Please PM me some details and I will look into it.
MisterB
Peon
Peon

Post by MisterB »

I understand what you are saying and I do appreciate the help. I thought that something like that would happen when I was creating the new account if the name was used. I know it shouldn't be possible, but unless I screwed up my config file and how I remembered my username, it happened to me. I am thinking out loud and wondering if the first account didn't have an e-mail associated with it could that have been an issue? I did register it about 10 months ago before the web based registering and really can't remember doing that. Thank you for taking your time on this.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I seem to recall a similar situation. I may be incorrect (haven't tested it) but someone mentioned that the case you use when logging doesn't matter until a new account is made with the same username with different case.

Eg, your username is userName.

You can log in just by typing username.

But once you create an account actually named username, you must use userName to log in to the first account.
MisterB
Peon
Peon

Post by MisterB »

Thank you!!!! You were correct. After several attempts I was able to figure out the correct case in all the letters and log in. Poison_ivy I owe you something. :D
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

poison_ivy wrote:I seem to recall a similar situation. I may be incorrect (haven't tested it) but someone mentioned that the case you use when logging doesn't matter until a new account is made with the same username with different case.

Eg, your username is userName.

You can log in just by typing username.

But once you create an account actually named username, you must use userName to log in to the first account.
IMO this is a very thing... just we are stuck with it for eA