New castle wip 5: check it out

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Golgo
Novice
Novice

New castle wip 5: check it out

Post by Golgo »

EDITE5: This update is just to see what you think on this new tiles which has way more detail now (now that im not restricted on what to detail to add), and rounded corners that elven ask for also the stairs that i forgot to add, no use for making latters becuase i add a stair that go's into the castle and leads you out, as for textures, ill list what it has

1. cracks.
2, burn marks and smudges.
3, some old century art carvings :p.
4, wall bumps (little v's that are on the walls).

and thats it, just needs a little bit more randomes also adding the square markings to the lower barrier walls and what ever carvings i can come up with, also i havent decided how much light or darker i should make the values, for now its a little darker just for showing the detail, hope you dig :p .

By the way if your woundering whats that head near the doors, its a camel :p.
Last edited by Golgo on 08 Oct 2005, 20:57, edited 4 times in total.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Re: The new castle wip :p

Post by Jetryl »

Golgo wrote:Here is a wip on a neer complete tileset (need one more piece in the tileset to finnish and textures, if asked :D )

Crits are welcome, just keep it above the belt :wink: .
As you said, you're definitely going to need textures.

All you have now is the general shape, but it's looking rather nice.
Some crenelations or machicolations might be nice.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

where does textures and surface go? it looks a bit like made of plastic. anyway its nice base.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

At the moment i havent decided how im going to texture it (its going to be tilable right?, so yeah..:?).
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Re: The new castle wip :p

Post by Golgo »

Jetryl wrote:
Golgo wrote:Here is a wip on a neer complete tileset (need one more piece in the tileset to finnish and textures, if asked :D )

Crits are welcome, just keep it above the belt :wink: .
As you said, you're definitely going to need textures.

All you have now is the general shape, but it's looking rather nice.
Some crenelations or machicolations might be nice.
After googling the word crenellations i think i know what you mean, the line carvings in the stones?, moduag (if thats how you spell his nick..) is the one that ded the concept drawing and 3d model but no texture so i would like him to tell me what he wanted in that.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

you made a perspective error here.
all of the diagonal lines should have the same length and angel.

and about the shading: at the last artist meeting (by the way: there is another one this evening. see http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=926 for details) we decided to shade all outdoor tiles with a light source from southwest.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Btw I don't think drawing objects as such is a good idea, tiles that could be used elsewhere too would be preferred.. Although for unique places this could be a better way of doing it. (Yeah when you reduce it into a tilemap, all the duplicates are removed etc, so this is a good way of previewing it in a mock-up shot.) But I just still want that extra functionality. (How about diagonal walls? More complex balconies? Steps to different levels?)

But I like the shapes here. Especially the "upward" walls are an improvement over our current ones.
This message used to be meaningful.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Crush wrote:you made a perspective error here.
all of the diagonal lines should have the same length and angel.

and about the shading: at the last artist meeting (by the way: there is another one this evening. see http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=926 for details) we decided to shade all outdoor tiles with a light source from southwest.
Its a slope structure, meaning its like a ramp skinny on top and curves out at the bottom, i am going to try to get to the damn meetings this time really :oops: .
Last edited by Golgo on 15 Sep 2005, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Rotonen wrote:Btw I don't think drawing objects as such is a good idea, tiles that could be used elsewhere too would be preferred.. Although for unique places this could be a better way of doing it. (Yeah when you reduce it into a tilemap, all the duplicates are removed etc, so this is a good way of previewing it in a mock-up shot.) But I just still want that extra functionality. (How about diagonal walls? More complex balconies? Steps to different levels?)

But I like the shapes here. Especially the "upward" walls are an improvement over our current ones.
Again, i dedint do the original structure i would prefer that moduag (if thats how you say it) to come in and tell me what would he have added to it, or ill take your advice since you are the director here :) .
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Golgo wrote:Again, i dedint do the original structure i would prefer that moduag (if thats how you say it) to come in and tell me what would he have added to it, or ill take your advice since you are the director here :)
Are you talking to me? :P
Moduag... hehe, never heard that one before.

I'll have some sleep first, I'm tired and it looks like I'm going have 5 hours of sleep at most as it is now. :roll:
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Modanung wrote:
Golgo wrote:Again, i dedint do the original structure i would prefer that moduag (if thats how you say it) to come in and tell me what would he have added to it, or ill take your advice since you are the director here :)
Are you talking to me? :P
Moduag... hehe, never heard that one before.

I'll have some sleep first, I'm tired and it looks like I'm going have 5 hours of sleep at most as it is now. :roll:
Lol, well i was sourda close on the nick :) , when you get back i need the stucture detail you want in it, carvings texture etc.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

The shading's pretty bad. In some places it's too smooth, in others it's a little choppy and looks like you tried to emulate A Link to the Past. Keep going though, there are plenty of artists to fix things once the general layout has been completed. Have you tried seeing how it looks next to some of the other tiles in the game?
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Ultim wrote:The shading's pretty bad. In some places it's too smooth, in others it's a little choppy and looks like you tried to emulate A Link to the Past. Keep going though, there are plenty of artists to fix things once the general layout has been completed. Have you tried seeing how it looks next to some of the other tiles in the game?
If your talking about the shading in the front, its still being work't on, its not complete just the general shape of the structure is, everything els is still a work in progress,

And no im not emulating legend of zelda just following the 3D render of modanung's concept (read the whole thread dude) oh yeah, arent you the one that edited my tiles?.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

It's a FREE, OPEN-SOURCE GAME. The fact that you're not standing to make ANY money added to the awful quality of those tiles makes taking credit for them two times as stupid! The only reason they even showed up in my tiles was so mine would blend in with the game! If i hear one more word about my "stealing" your tiles just to make a transfer tile, so help me i will find you and strangle you!

Now i don't like getting like that. It's awful business. Don't make me get like that. But yeah, whether you were following a model or not, it does look an imitation of Zelda: A Link to the Past. That's no personal insult, it's honest critique for graphics that will go into the game. The banner looks pretty nice though. Hm, think making the rooftop-ground a different color would look good? Blue or green or red should look good with the yellowish color the walls have. And you were probably doing this anyway, but take out or drastically reduce the sharp black outline around the castle. i can tell you put a lot of effort into this. With a few fixes, and finishing it out of course, it'll probably be a very nice, functionable piece.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Ultim wrote:It's a FREE, OPEN-SOURCE GAME. The fact that you're not standing to make ANY money added to the awful quality of those tiles makes taking credit for them two times as stupid! The only reason they even showed up in my tiles was so mine would blend in with the game! If i hear one more word about my "stealing" your tiles just to make a transfer tile, so help me i will find you and strangle you!

Now i don't like getting like that. It's awful business. Don't make me get like that. But yeah, whether you were following a model or not, it does look an imitation of Zelda: A Link to the Past. That's no personal insult, it's honest critique for graphics that will go into the game. The banner looks pretty nice though. Hm, think making the rooftop-ground a different color would look good? Blue or green or red should look good with the yellowish color the walls have. And you were probably doing this anyway, but take out or drastically reduce the sharp black outline around the castle. i can tell you put a lot of effort into this. With a few fixes, and finishing it out of course, it'll probably be a very nice, functionable piece.
Ok..., i sed "are you the one that edited my tiles" i dedint say it in a mean way dude, i would have cap't my letters if i was angry in anyway, i rememberd the nes controller in your avatar thats why i sed that,

Second where do you get the balls to call my tiles awful quality?, looking at your edites im telling YOU your tiles look like crappy edites, wheres any of your work?, thats about it with you, lets call it quit's and move on already.