[FND] [REVIEW] Code+Icons for Image buttons

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [REQ] Icons for Image buttons

Post by Kage »

IMO we should make the check in the ok button green. And the x in the cancel button red.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I think only coloured on mouseover.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

How about a washed out color for the normal image, full color on mouseover, and dark gray for disabled?
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,
How about a washed out color for the normal image, full color on mouseover, and dark gray for disabled?
:arrow: I most inclined to follow Jaxad's idea. Pastel colors or such are less eye-hurting most of the time.

Best regards.
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

jaxad0127 wrote:How about a washed out color for the normal image, full color on mouseover, and dark gray for disabled?
washed ? you mean "reduce the opacity of the icon "ok" when the cursor is off of the button" or something else .
so if it this
"cancel"

just for test the effect (over , out , press )
( the size will be too big )
Lien ...
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

IMO the cross on that cancel button is too large, but I believe that is what Jax* was referring to. And I agree with him. I'm working on it, but my mother is atm limiting my time on the computer somewhat, and the time I do get I have to use for schoolwork.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Indeed,

If I'm correct the widgets have a 5 pixels wide padding for this theme,
so I also agree about reducing the cross.

Anyway, it's coming!

Best regards.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Well, I chose to adopt a pixelly-looking style for the buttons, and decided they looked best in this theme without colour - I can add it if you think it would look better - although I'm style not happy with most of them. Please tell me if you don't like them, or any of them, and which you don't like.

Here are the Active button icons, as one image, with the button as a background so you can see what it looks like. I do have all these on separate layers in the one .xcf file.
Buttons.
Buttons.
all.png (35.55 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
EDIT: From left to right: Confirm, Cancel, Money, Level, Map, Smilie, Status, Equipment, Inventory, Skills, Special, Social, Shortcut, Setup.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I quite like the minimalistic approach. It makes the GUI less clutteres and it makes it easy to fit it into a new theme just by adjusting the colors.

But I have a few smaller suggestions for improvement:
-Status, equipment and level look too similar (all look more or less like different kinds of stickmen)
-Level and Skills can also be mixed up easily and don't look very descriptive to me
-I am not sure if two checkboxes are a good visualisation for the setup window
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Thanks a lot, Ivy. :D

If I may add some positive criticisms ;)
I quite agree with Crush about the named icon mix up.

Could I suggest, but again only a suggestion:
- A magnifying glass for the status icon, that could maybe cut with the other two icons.
(The other ones could maybe be switched if relevant.)

- Crush's wrench idea for the setup icon is indeed a bit more explicit.

- Maybe swords crossed for skill icon?
I also kinda like this concept:
http://sharewarebay.com/images/screensh ... Editor.png

I hope it helped.

Best regards.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Well, how about these? I've left the status icon as it was, and redrawn the Equipment one to try and make it as different as possible. "Level" is supposed to be a ruler, but not only is it hard to tell what it is, it doesn't really have anything to do with levels. If you can think of something better, PLEASE tell me ;) .
all.png
all.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
Can an image's contrast be lowered automatically by the client? If not, I can make lower-contrast versions of these for disabled buttons.

If they can be lightened by the client, that will do for highlighting; if not, again, I'll make some light button backgrounds.

I'll also make a button that looks as thought it has been pressed, and perhaps lighter coloured icons to go on that.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

poison_ivy wrote: Can an image's contrast be lowered automatically by the client? If not, I can make lower-contrast versions of these for disabled buttons.
As long as you make them greyscale we can use the dyeing system on them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Ivy,

About the level button, hmm, well, maybe a graph? (What do you think, Crush?)

About the button effects, and to be sure you're aware of it, I would just like to precise that the background part of the button will be handled by the widget system. All that we need is the icon itself. (But a preview in the actual button is fine ;) )

Best regards, and thanks again :)
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I originally had a graph for skills, with three towers (it may have been unclear what it was...), and I tried a graph for Level earlier (with a bottom and left lines marked by dots, with a rising line across it, whatever that sort of graph is called), but it didn't work. I could try again if you want, though...

And of course, the buttons are already done: can the dyeing system lighten an image, for when it's highlighted, or do you want a lighter version of the icon for that?

And here are all the .png files, without backgrounds:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Please tell me what you think could do with improvement, and I'll do it :) .
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Thanks for the quick answer, Ivy! :D
I originally had a graph for skills, with three towers (it may have been unclear what it was...), and I tried a graph for Level earlier (with a bottom and left lines marked by dots, with a rising line across it, whatever that sort of graph is called), but it didn't work. I could try again if you want, though...
:arrow: I'm can easily understand it's not easy for you as it isn't for myself, either ;)

As for the graph, (and it's only a proposal that Crush will maybe... crush) here is what I was thinking:
level.png
level.png (256 Bytes) Viewed 3284 times
Now, as for me, every icons are fine (level discussion apart) and I think we can already use them as a real base.
What's left on your side, if at least Crush is okay with it, is to colour them keeping in mind that the xcf source file should be as modular as possible, but I guess I won't teach anything about pixel art.

Also to precise again, I think the money image could be used both for a trading button and a lone image in the character, and status windows. The same goes for level about these windows.

My best regards.