about leylines, geomancers and teleportation

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

How about the core of the world is the source of mana and it has roots coming out of it? It's like a giant seed but it never grows...
I like your idea of course
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I like that idea as well. I was never too fond of using the "Mana Tree" idea, since (as has been said) it's not exactly original.

As for the teleportation idea, I think some instant transport can be good, but it shouldn't be the main form of distance transport by any means; it's just too fast. Perhaps a few, scattered geomancers, who can take you across the world in an instant, but only to a few select locations?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Talaroc wrote:Perhaps a few, scattered geomancers, who can take you across the world in an instant, but only to a few select locations?
Well at least that sounds reasonable
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Talaroc wrote:Perhaps a few, scattered geomancers, who can take you across the world in an instant, but only to a few select locations?
That's what I was thinking. :)
I love you too. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

yes, that also what i thought. i meant the gateways to be scattered in the wild a little bit away from the key locations. the geomancers have to build their gateways where the appropiate leylines are. citys and dungeons usually aren't exactly under one.

the tower of a powerful wizard who wants to use the power of the leylines could maybe be build at a leyline crossing, but the inhabitant surely would take care that no annoying adventurers can teleport right into his magic laboratory.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

There should be some explanation why no towns/cities are build at those points, though. Because that would give great advantages for gathering resources, moving troops, trade and tourism.

Or maybe there SHOULD be a city at a gateway, some acropolis.
And cheap labour (miners, fishermen, forresters, etc) going on at some other gateways in order of the leaders of this huge city.

If we wouldn't have the 'Mana Tree' we could do that there are several leyline-areas, that aren't connected. We could also have some smaller Mana Trees, or some other leyline centres.
That way you could travel fast within one kingdom/leyline-area, but you'd have to travel through some area on foot or by steed/kart/griffon/slave. So you couldn't go from one side of the world to the other in a jiffy, which I think is a plus.

The kingdoms could be defined by the leyline-areas, the capitol would be at the leyline centre and the nearest town would never be further then the nearest gateway.

I do think you should have some pass to use the gateways, maybe after completing the newbie quest. Or we could have a pass for each kingdom. Criminals could have the pass, of the kingdom they've commited the crime in, taken from them by the local authorities.

...off to bed...
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

don't forget that the posibility to teleport people through the leylines has just been discovered lately. when the main cities were build centuries ago noone knew the strategical and economical importance the leylines could have one day.

but now that the leylines became important it is very likely that people will start to settle next to a gateway and that kingdoms will try to gain control over strategical important gateways. but thats a development which just starts at the moment.
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

We will have a big world I think.
And it sounds like we will have some nice transport routes (boat-river,horse-road,whatever-mountain).
And that isn't the same as some instant-travel.

So I think you should only be able to instant travel once you travelled
by other means before.
Say you are in a woodland are, whatever... And you want to reach the country
of lakes. There's a big river flowing towards the big lake. So you rent/buy a boat
and it takes some time to travel there. You can make some in-between stops,
maybe are forcibly interrupted by some baddies. I amagine you seeing your character
sitting in the boat and (maybe) rowing down the river maybe with a party in a bigger boat
or having some local sit in the boat with you. (he drives back?)

So all in all it's a nice journey. It lets the player enjoy the world. An RPG is something like that...
Not a hectical instant travel thing where you don't even know in which country
you are at the moment.

But then comes the point where you travelled some times by boat/... at a main route
and have to go back and forth, you already know the route and just want to travel fast.

Then a guy comes to you and offers you the possibility to insta-travel to your
destination and back. You maybe give him more money/an item have to help him a little
and from that time you can choose whether you enjoy the environment or insta-travel.
(If you have to use a route often I don't think many players have the patience to use
some slow travel method.)

Another idea I just had: Maybe you could just be able to choose auto-travel by boat
(You did it some times before on your own and now the long sequence is skipped
and you only see yourself arriving at you destination.)

Realy long post I know :roll:
Maybe you can use my ideas somehow :P
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

The auto-travel wouldn't work; since this is an MMO, time has to move at the same speed for everyone or things will get odd.

Beyond that, I see what you're saying, and agree.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well we could be the first MMORPG ever to incorporate the general theory of relativity (mostly talking about time dilation here).. :roll:
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

we could use a system similar to the gryphon system in world of warcraft where you have to travel to every location on foot (or on mount) first before you can fly there.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

In Lineage II, your boat rides... Well, Lineage II is a HUGE world map :o

And the boat travels in the water, and you can see everything moving O>O

it looks AWESOMMEE

maybe we can make it so its a boat map and make a landscape continuously scroll in the background??

im pretty sure itl give the player a moving feeling while theyr on transportation
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

We could also give players something to do on the ship.
We could have a ship leave every 15 minutes or so and a certain number of players could travel on the same ship. They could just chat with eachother or play cards. Or any other out-in-the-field PvP minigames.

Another way to keep them busy is with random encounters. Nice seamonster tentacles over the edge of the ship. I don't think players should be forced to fight it. The ship should have an upper deck and a lower deck. On the upper deck we could have whipping tentacles over the edge for the players to attack. The monster will disappear after a while again and the players who fought it will gain experience proportional to the damage they've dealt to the monster.
If the monster is slain before it goes away by itself all the players who helped will also get a reward from the ships captain in proportion to the damage they've dealt.
Players who don't want to engage any combat during their nauticle travels can hide inside the ship on the lower deck and play cards or be afk in peace.

This whole system with the ship could be about the same for the train.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Modanung wrote:On the upper deck we could have whipping tentacles over the edge for the players to attack.
THAT sounds like an AWESOME idea to me. 8)
And I agree with everything else Modanung mentioned. :wink:
I love you too. :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Yeah Modanung, I agree with your idea.