[CPT][WIP]Giant Squid

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [CPT][WIP]Giant Squid

Post by Kage »

You know, because of its style of movement. I don't know if we necessarily need to make sprites for each direction.

IMO a general random movements of the tentacles that appear to be working together to produce movement, might be enough...

Then for the attack animation, maybe some attack that looks like it attacks in all direction. (on both eA and ManaServ we can do splash damage, to make the effect real).
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I created a gif animation using your sketch so show how it might look with a general walking animation.

(Frames might be a bit too far apart, but you'll get the idea)
Attachments
walking.gif
walking.gif (44.44 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

Hmm excellent idea I will brainstorm on an attack that goes in all directions and try to fine tune the walking.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

A missile attack would also be fun (ink spit). Manaserv support multiple attacks per monster, so we can do both. But that can wait.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Ooh, that is sizewise for once something which would actually be threatening for the player.
This message used to be meaningful.
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

WoW!!! Giant monster!!! :lol:
Tengu

Post by Tengu »

Would be possible an "special attack" when the HP of the monster is critical?
Example: if hp<5% then 3% of probability of special attack.
Could this work in Manaserv?

Tengu
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sure.

Currently we can run script code when a monster attacks or is attacked. This can be used to change the attributes of the monster and thus make it stronger or weaker when it is hit or make its attacks have extra effects (status effect, extra damage, splash damage...) when the monster is below a certain HP value.

It is not really possible to give a monster a completely new attack using scripts, but we could look into making this possible in the future.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:It is not really possible to give a monster a completely new attack using scripts, but we could look into making this possible in the future.
What about marking certain attacks as script-triggered (so they won't be used by the default AI) and adding a system to have the monster attack using a specified attack number? We could also give attacks prerequisites or conditions on their use (like HP < X).
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Crush wrote:It is not really possible to give a monster a completely new attack using scripts, but we could look into making this possible in the future.
What about marking certain attacks as script-triggered (so they won't be used by the default AI) and adding a system to have the monster attack using a specified attack number? We could also give attacks prerequisites or conditions on their use (like HP < X).
I would like some type of test, since it would be nice to impose limits on player specials based similar conditions. Things like how low/high is your target XP. How low/high is your XP. Etc.

Of course it would always be possible to check it after the special is called, and just don't do anything if the condition is not meet. But I would really like to give feed back to the player about why their attack failed.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Monsters can have skills. Can skills be triggered via scripts?
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Rotonen wrote:
Monsters can have skills. Can skills be triggered via scripts?
I think you are mixing up eAthena and Manaserv.

Skills on Manaserv are per definition passive. Active combat abilities are called "Specials" in Manaserv terminology and so far we didn't implement much in that direction.

Active combat abilities are called Skills on eAthena and I know that monsters can use them, but I don't know how script support for monsters looks on eAthena and if it can be used for conditional skill use. Not my area of expertise.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

Your topic has been officially jacked. Nice squid.
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

John P wrote:Your topic has been officially jacked. Nice squid.
No worries here. It's all good I'm gonna try to get some work in on it this weekend. At least it was a productive hijack instead of a troll hijack. Plus it's good to know what is and isn't possible when I get to drawing the attack sequences.

So then on a similar note varied attacks are possible on ManaServ. For instance an ink attack and tentacle attack I would just need to draw frames for both.

:?: Plus it's possible for a special attack when creature is at critical or some other predetermined variable. Something for me to ponder about adding extras to the ManaServ version. I am assuming for now the same guidelines apply for ManaServ as per the wiki. Except being able to add extra attacks. Is there going to be a new guidelines page for Manaserv somewhere or maybe there is already?