woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Great work on the tiles Bjorn! I like the shadow, it really adds some depth to the stones. About the saturation, wel Crush why do you still prefer it to be so high? (I guess this will be discussed also during the meeting :P )
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

while im still farming comments on the cliffs i made some small stuff for water decoration.
you may wonder why i got a dead sprites from the old character set under water even though the woodland maps will most likely be released together with the new character sprites. the reason is that i wanted to symbolically drown the old sprites. i also want that when a veteran player shows the world to a newbie in a year or so that the newbie asks "lol, there is a pixelated, deformed corpse in underwear in the water". the veteran will reply "yes, thats how we all looked when tmw started." and the newbie will say "wow, this game really improved a lot. i wonder how much it will improve while im playing."

in case you wonder what these stones could be used for, take a look at this:

ElvenProgrammer wrote:About the saturation, wel Crush why do you still prefer it to be so high? (I guess this will be discussed also during the meeting :P )
i think the lower saturation looks dull and boring. also we want to copy the style of secret of mana which had even brighter colors. but in the end it's a question of taste and taste is something you can't discuss about.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

It makes me think about dead corpses laying in the water, hey men, children will play this game as well :lol: Jokes apart it really looks nice drowned in the water.
Great work with the rocks in the water, but I'd like to see something else as well not only rocks and corpses... :roll: Something like a floating log, leaves, plants? I'm just giving some ideas. Oh and of course the borders could use something better than a straight line (or is it an artificial lake?)

About saturation, well I think I could tolerate having it so high, but I prefer a low level, of course this is my taste, and my taste is the one that rules in TMW :twisted: :P
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Mh, but if there is a corpse in the water the water is poisoned. :(
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

So have fish monsters in that lake that drop poison of some sort. :wink:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Oh and of course the borders could use something better than a straight line (or is it an artificial lake?)
i just used the most simple tiles because i didn't wanted to distract from the tiles i wanted to show. looks as if i failed ;)

by using the diagonal and corner tiles, you can make water areas which look much more natural.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

LOL... dead corpse in water. Crush... u r crazy.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

So now that you've said it, you have to do it.. :twisted:
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

as suggested in the meeting i made the roads more rough:
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Love the corpse, both because of the creativity and the symbolism... two things vital to art that many artists leave out.
So have fish monsters in that lake that drop poison of some sort.
It is my opinion that if you explain everything you will make the game boring for people. There need to be things that don't quite make sense.
It makes me think about dead corpses laying in the water, hey men, children will play this game as well
Perhaps i have a solution: Make the character floating on top of the water. Just take away the blue tint. Sure, we'll know it's still dead, but a kid that hasn't been introduced to that kind of thing will think he's doing the "dead man's float." Dead men do float anyway. So it's more realistic, more censored, and you get to keep all the lovely creativity and symbolism.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

I like the water but I would leave the corpse outta it
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush, the swaying cliff edge was a great improvement. First it was so straight but now it's a lot more interesting to look at.
It would be a great improvement if you'd do the same with the water edge. That is what ElvenProgrammer meant, and I think it was said before.

I like the idea of keeping the corpse as an easteregg. I think it shouldn't lay somewhere too much in sight and only on one spot.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
degen
Novice
Novice

Regarding variety of water tiles

Post by degen »

Ok Crush this is just my _own_ opinion nothing else :)
but i was thinking of (not really easy) an easy way of adding some "natural" feeling to the land that you are making. This is also something that could go for all the different enviremnets that you have been working on so far (the cliffs, water, grass, roads and more probably).

(Well i guess you already know this but just pointing it out)
Nature is never formed after "lines" but is formed by curves through ages of wind and rain storms etc etc.

well enough of that, the point is the tiles you have made for eastern and western sides. The tiles that has the water and grass in it.(i assume you are making tiles specific for borders between water and grass, same goes for cliff's)
By adding 6 more tiles with variety of "borders" you can increase the feeling of natures creativity. and with that said i think i should show you what i meen instead of speaking about it.

This picture (i _borrowed_ it from the one that you used for showing the dead man in water ^^) has 2 changes to it, and those are to have the ground (grass) to not go in a vertical line but to add some shapes and show that the ground is not fixed and "cut out" of the land and then filled with water. The northern and bottom seems ok but the sides looks as if i was there with a shovel and dug it up. I dont think i am the only thinking of that, If i am then no need to reconsider. Its jsut my opinion :)

Well ... by saying "by adding 6 tiles would change everything" might be to much but still it would add a more natural feeling to it wouldnt it?

Well except pointing that out, GREAT WORK! and how do you put up with it ...? i just read through the entire thread and i am speechless =P so much critiscm and yet i think everyone thinks that as well but ahvent pointed it out yet =)

well i am more than impressed by all the work you have done! (i was impressed since page 4 so ... maybe that says something ...)

Ok and hey contact me either at irc or by forum and i perhaps i might be able to help in any way :D (aint no expert but hey there might be something even I can do :) )

// Degen
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Oh well I guess noone ever doubted that Crush is doing an excellent work, we are just giving out our suggestions to improve it :wink:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Regarding variety of water tiles

Post by Crush »

degen wrote:Ok and hey contact me either at irc or by forum and i perhaps i might be able to help in any way :D (aint no expert but hey there might be something even I can do :) )

// Degen
just do it like i did. think about what kind of contribution tmw could need, join the irc channel, ask if you can do it, and then just do it.